Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goober Pyle

Dirk Koetter: ‘We definitely need to run the ball better than we did last year’

19 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

PA can be effective without a running game you just have to be creative in how you use it.

23.9 PPG with this guy and the offensive talent we had I mean if that’s acceptable to you I don’t know what to say.I mean Sark came in here year 1 with much the same talent with zero yes zero pro coaching experience yet averaged much the same.

This guy is a seasoned pro and couldn’t do better with more talent on a Oline with first rounders galore.I mean please Koetter just isn’t any good.Its painful watching us bungle around on 3rd and long.He just sits Ryan back there and leaves rookie Oline man out on there own here you go good luck.Saints game a prime example of it 9 sacks I mean what’s that all about.

Identity what the **** was the offensive identity.Its almost as though this doesn’t work let’s use stuff that we used in 2017 because my stale turd of an offensive plan has been shot to pieces.

No, you have some really good points there. But, you have to remember the Offense was under extreme pressure the 1st Half of the season, because they were always playing from behind. Sometimes really far behind, making you take chances that would not seem prudent otherwise.

The offensive line was a disaster period in the 1st half of the season. When people you are counting on cannot play or do not deliver, such as Carpenter, Sambraillo, and many times Brown, what do you have to fall back on? However, I have said this before with a lot a flack here, that the biggest fail to the Falcons 2019 Offense was Freeman. Koetter relied on him to succeed as he had done in past years, way too much. Almost everyone here said it was because of our offensive line that Freeman failed, but forensics have now born out that Freeman was just a shell of his former self. Why Koetter stuck with him for so long is anyone's guess, but it is what I blame him for more than anything else.

2 hours ago, jidady said:

Clarifying: I meant podcasts in general, not the PFF one. I mainly do movies/entertainment and Disney ones.

And I'm waaaaaay too old to be an intern. That's one of the reasons I never contacted. "Hi, I'd love to work for you. Also, FYI: I'm expensive!"

1 hour ago, Cheap Talk said:

No, you have some really good points there. But, you have to remember the Offense was under extreme pressure the 1st Half of the season, because they were always playing from behind. Sometimes really far behind, making you take chances that would not seem prudent otherwise.

The offensive line was a disaster period in the 1st half of the season. When people you are counting on cannot play or do not deliver, such as Carpenter, Sambraillo, and many times Brown, what do you have to fall back on? However, I have said this before with a lot a flack here, that the biggest fail to the Falcons 2019 Offense was Freeman. Koetter relied on him to succeed as he had done in past years, way too much. Almost everyone here said it was because of our offensive line that Freeman failed, but forensics have now born out that Freeman was just a shell of his former self. Why Koetter stuck with him for so long is anyone's guess, but it is what I blame him for more than anything else.

Yes these were issues but between Koetter and Morgan they had to come up with solutions.I didn’t like how they went about some of thee solutions that were used and I’m not sure if they even had the right guys out there on the Oline front.Gono never really got a shot under either guy.

This is what I mean by identity of our rushing attack and team I just don’t know what it is and Free just never seem to be able to get into a groove.We went pass heavy and our running attack was seemingly talked about being outside zone but it seemed sporadic and we went away from it too quickly here in lying us very predictable.

This is my issue with Koetter he isn’t creative enough.When behind in the down and distance it was in the gun or long route developing absolutely exposing our Oline and putting Matt Ryan in danger.

Teams for the most part had a beat on us offensively.

Posted (edited)

Fans don’t truly have an answer, or anything that resembles what pro football players hear. It’s just vague and obvious “improvements” being suggested. 

I couldn’t tell you how to improve Georgia States offense on a technical level, much less a professional football team.

Edited by ant.accurate

5 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

He needs to commit to running the ball.  It benefits the whole offense when they are balanced.  

I agree, but Freeman was not nearly himself of past years and Koetter stuck with him way too long. Always thought Ito was ready to have a breakout Sophmore year, but did not get the opportunity. Koetter definitely bungled the Falcons run game last year, and did not make necessary adjustments in his pass offense as a result, until the break. Which was way too late.

There were simple decisions that could have been made in personnel that possibly could have saved the season, such as having given Gono (like kiwifalcon said) and Ito a shot. 

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

Due respect to OP.....But just LOL at this entire thread. 

Dirk Koetter talking about the running game is pretty silly. 

LOL...DK says they right things but rarely follows through

Koetter in 2019:

Dan Quinn wants balance and Koetter does, too

The Falcons were the NFL's fourth-best passing offense in 2018, but they were the fifth-worst rushing offense. As he said many times last season, that's not the type of balance coach Dan Quinn is looking for. Koetter explained why balance is so important in the NFL and why achieving it is a top priority for the Falcons' offense.

"I'm going into my 38th year of coaching and I've never met a defensive coach who didn't say the hardest thing to defend is balance," Koetter said. "I believe in that, too. When you're in a first- or second-down situation and the defense doesn't know if you're going to throw it, run it, play-action, bootleg it – whatever you want to do – any defensive coach will tell you that's the hardest thing to defend.

Koetter in 2016-2018

Analysis: Dirk Koetter’s play calls have the Buccaneers running in place

Koetter preaches the importance of establishing the run, but the numbers disagree.

Dirk Koetter is entering his third season as Bucs head coach. He has won 14 games and lost 18. [MONICA HERNDON | Times] Dirk Koetter is entering his third season as Bucs head coach. He has won 14 games and lost 18. [MONICA HERNDON | Times]

Published Sep. 3, 2018
Updated Sep. 3, 2018

“We’re going to be a run-first football team,” Dirk Koetter said in 2016, during his first training camp as head coach of the Buccaneers.

“You’ve got to run the ball and stop the run to win in this league, and we’re not going to change from that.”

During this past training camp, Koetter talked again about the relationship between running and winning.

“Five out of six teams in the league last year that rushed for over 2,000 yards made the playoffs,” he said. “There was only one team that rushed for over 2,000 in the season and didn’t make the playoffs. That was the Cowboys. Two-thousand yards in a season averages out to 125 yards a game. That’s where you’d like to be. Teams that do that are going to win games. They’re going to average a little over 10 wins and they’re going to get in the playoffs.”

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Does a leopard change his spots if not we are stuck with who and what he is and me for me I will sit back with everything crossed and hope for the best.

Man I still can’t believe we brought that jackwad back here and if Ryan was the reason they both need to go

2 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

I agree, but Freeman was not nearly himself of past years and Koetter stuck with him way too long. Always thought Ito was ready to have a breakout Sophmore year, but did not get the opportunity. Koetter definitely bungled the Falcons run game last year, and did not make necessary adjustments in his pass offense as a result, until the break. Which was way too late.

There were simple decisions that could have been made in personnel that possibly could have saved the season, such as having given Gono (like kiwifalcon said) and Ito a shot. 

Smith hasn’t been able to stay on the field.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/falcons-news-ito-smith-done-for-the-season-due-to-concussion/amp/

46 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Should have been on the field well before the break. Smith can do some really good things, when he is on the field, then when he is not he is not. Next man up. He could have helped carry us into the playoffs.

Not saying build the team around him, because I have said here before that he will not last in the NFL, but he should have replaced Freeman midway thru the 1st half of the season.

2 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Should have been on the field well before the break. Smith can do some really good things, when he is on the field, then when he is not he is not. Next man up. He could have helped carry us into the playoffs.

Not saying build the team around him, because I have said here before that he will not last in the NFL, but he should have replaced Freeman midway thru the 1st half of the season.

I don’t see what you see on smith cheap talk. At all.

As bad as this may sound and I can’t say anything else negative about what my own personal opinion is about him.We are stuck with him I will get onboard.I don’t have to like what he portrays in the media that’s great but for me judgement will be seen but not heard type of action.

If he’s preaching balance so be it now let it come to fruition.

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I don’t see what you see on smith cheap talk. At all.

No one does, because he was not given his chance in his 2nd-year, such as Freeman and Coleman had. A RB needs seasoning his rookie season, by the 2nd season you should be able to see what you have.

At any rate, Koetter will put much more focus on establishing the run game this year, no doubt.