Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First, I am ecstatic that Morris is our DC and I have full confidence that he will get the best out of this young defense.

That being said, what would you like to see him incorporate either as a base defense or just a different look now and again? Please only with the roster that we already have!

Every once in awhile, I would like us to utilize the 46 defense to really get into the QB and oline's heads. Our young corners would have to be really physical at the line to pull it off though. I think Neal would be the ideal SS/LB hybrid needed for its success and I believe Jones would excel as well. 

I wouldn't want this as our base, but it would be a nice mix from time to time to eliminate the run game completely while creating havoc on the line. 

12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Does Koetter leaving count as a defensive tweak?  

Joking aside, I am confident with our coaching staff on defense.  It’s the other side that has me concerned 

I'm confident with the defensive coaching staff as well. Just thinking of what may or may not work with our roster as it stands 

Our offense should put up enough points if DK is as bad as everyone says. If he is not, it should put up more than enough points. Knowing that, I just want to see some of Dan Quinn's "all gas, no brakes" out of the defense. No stupid plays like spearing and late hits, but I can live with a double handful of aggressive mistakes over 16 games. Let's make mistakes of commission instead of mistakes of omission this season.

As much as I was totally, vocally, adamantly opposed to Morris coaching offense; I'm that excited to see him coordinating the defense.

2 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Our offense should put up enough points if DK is as bad as everyone says. If he is not, it should put up more than enough points. Knowing that, I just want to see some of Dan Quinn's "all gas, no brakes" out of the defense. No stupid plays like spearing and late hits, but I can live with a double handful of aggressive mistakes over 16 games. Let's make mistakes of commission instead of mistakes of omission this season.

As much as I was totally, vocally, adamantly opposed to Morris coaching offense; I'm that excited to see him coordinating the defense.

I too was not happy with Morris as WR coach. His defensive record of success goes back years and years. My philosophy is put your aces in their places.

3 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I would love to see Sheffield at safety. Maybe Keke at Lb. Debo playing outside with a bigger Mike in the middle would be a pretty good look. I definitely want to see a more traditional 4-3 with a 3rd Lb on the field more and maybe mix in a lil wide 9 every once in a while.

Think we have the speed on the outside to run a Wide 9 with who we have on roster?

1 minute ago, Mister pudding said:

I too was not happy with Morris as WR coach. His defensive record of success goes back years and years. My philosophy is put your aces in their places.

Yep...I'm a business book junky. Jim Collins has a philosophy that summarizes as: "First who, then what." The analogy he uses is a bus. You have to first find the right people, then you have to make sure they are in the right seats. I think "aces in their places" is the twitter version of that philosophy. I like it!

2 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Think we have the speed on the outside to run a Wide 9 with who we have on roster? 

Both Fowler and Takk could pull it off and maybe even Means and Larkin to an extent. I think Beasley would thrive in those situations because he's pretty much all speed and nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

I just want the LBers to tackle properly, and the DBs to cover without blowing assignments. 

The youth of the corners is what scares me the most. That's why I mentioned the 46... 8 man front. Not running on that. West Coast offenses could pose a problem potentially with that though, but I like the thought of hitting Brees and Brady over and over 

3 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

The youth of the corners is what scares me the most. That's why I mentioned the 46... 8 man front. Not running on that. West Coast offenses could pose a problem potentially with that though, but I like the thought of hitting Brees and Brady over and over 

One thing I like with having taller longer cbs is they can double as LBers on run downs. The only problem with that is AJ Terrell tackles like garbage, DQ needs to teach him how to wrap up properly, and use good technique. 

29 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I would love to see Sheffield at safety. Maybe Keke at Lb. Debo playing outside with a bigger Mike in the middle would be a pretty good look. I definitely want to see a more traditional 4-3 with a 3rd Lb on the field more and maybe mix in a lil wide 9 every once in a while.

Maybe Morris will be able to hold DQ off while instituting some of this but playing a traditional 4-3 is tantamount to blasphemy to DQ. In DQ's world LB's play DE and the two LB spots are filled by large safeties. It's a defense fit for a track meet not a slug fest. If Morris can change some of this and make it more football like, more power to him. I'm not holding my breath.

4 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

One thing I like with having taller longer cbs is they can double as LBers on run downs. The only problem with that is AJ Terrell tackles like garbage, DQ needs to teach him how to wrap up properly, and use good technique. 

So far. Just from my inspection of his video. (I admit that I only know what i see on video that's available) I see his tackling ability as his best trait. I hate what I see from his press man coverage because he seems to lack pattern recognition and has to hope for make up trailing speed to be there when the ball is. That ain't gonna get it in this league. I actually believe he fits the mold of safety better than CB. I never was a big fan of Oliver either for the same reasons but obviously he's impressing someone.

1 hour ago, Mister pudding said:

Yeah you cant do it in todays nfl. The corners will be fine. They played well towards the end.

21 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Yeah you cant do it in todays nfl. The corners will be fine. They played well towards the end.

You can definitely run it against a 22 or 23 offense, with 2 RB along with 2 or 3 TE. At least giving the look and dropping back would still be effective 

24 minutes ago, red falcon said:

What is your definition of blowing an assignment? 

Not covering the player they were supposed to, not knowing which player they are supposed to cover. We need players that are not football stupid, which is what we had in Trufant and Campbell. 

2 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

First, I am ecstatic that Morris is our DC and I have full confidence that he will get the best out of this young defense.

That being said, what would you like to see him incorporate either as a base defense or just a different look now and again? Please only with the roster that we already have!

Every once in awhile, I would like us to utilize the 46 defense to really get into the QB and oline's heads. Our young corners would have to be really physical at the line to pull it off though. I think Neal would be the ideal SS/LB hybrid needed for its success and I believe Jones would excel as well. 

I wouldn't want this as our base, but it would be a nice mix from time to time to eliminate the run game completely while creating havoc on the line. 

Against the Saints, every play, knock the RB on his butt. Do not let the RB have a free release. This should be job #1 of the defense against those guys. I don't care if the RB has the ball or not, if he gets through the line free and clear and catches those easy dump offs and runs for 15 more, somebody on the defense needs to hear about it. If you can take that RB out of the picture in the pass game, Brees has to spend that extra 1/2 second required to get the pass rush home.

I suspect Brady will operate this way against this D also. All he needs to do is watch what Brees does to the Falcons on a regular basis to know how to deal with the Falcon D. Speed kills they say. It has certainly killed this Falcon D and I'm talking about their own speed. Brady and Brees will use that speed against them and make them look silly.

Here's an idea, game plan the defensive scheme to match the opponents. The theory of 'how we play is how we play' and we're going to 'win by being fast and physical' is not enough. Scheming the defense, especially the pass rush to take advantage of weaknesses and defend against opponents strengths is a necessity in my opinion and not one that DQ seems to be very good at.

Do some more self evaluation, not just at the bye week.