Will our defensive line be a top 5-10 unit?

I still believe this team has loads of talent and potential. So I'll say 'sure.' 

It might seem far-fetched to a lot of people, but I could see a 40+ sack season. However, there will be a lot of other factors at play. Can our secondary force opposing QB's to hold the ball a little bit longer? Can we consistently put teams in 3rd and long? Will we spend a lot of time playing with a lead or from behind? 

Waaay too early to tell but I think it's possible our d-line is a top 10 unit this year. 

6 minutes ago, TalentedMrRidley said:

I still believe this team has loads of talent and potential. So I'll say 'sure.' 

It might seem far-fetched to a lot of people, but I could see a 40+ sack season. However, there will be a lot of other factors at play. Can our secondary force opposing QB's to hold the ball a little bit longer? Can we consistently put teams in 3rd and long? Will we spend a lot of time playing with a lead or from behind? 

Waaay too early to tell but I think it's possible our d-line is a top 10 unit this year. 

oh man, that's lofty, not far-fetched, lofty. i can see us getting in qb's kitchens all year long, forcing int's and rushed throws, but 40 is a huge number of sacks.

Posted (edited)

I don't think a rotational rookie and a pass rusher who has hit double digit sacks once in his career are going to propel our defensive line into the top 10 category. 

It isn't going to help either that our secondary is incredibly young, which is going to give our line little to no time to get to the QB.

Edited by dirtybirds233
56 minutes ago, TalentedMrRidley said:

No way we get 40 + sacks, unless as another poster mentioned, we get another front 7 stud.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TalentedMrRidley said:

I spoke on that in another thread.  The Falcons will run press  coverage and try and base their defense on coverage sacks.  The offense will feature Gurley and hope to control the ball vs hoping he hits the big one.  They want to dictate the flow of the game on both offense and defense and win games by scoring around 24 points.   Folks looking for a Shanahan/ Sark 30 point a game offense are gonna be let down...

Edited by Spts1

The presence of Fowler Jr, and the fact that the Falcons didn't pick up his 5th year option, gives Takk major incentive to break out this season. If for no other reason, he wants to get paid. That said, I believe the pair, Fowler and Takk, provide consistent pressure this season. No idea the sack numbers, obviously, but it wouldn't surprise me to see 10 sacks from each of them. Grady will continue his Pro Bowl play. The addition of Marlon Davidson will pay sizable rookie season dividends, and the addition of Charles Harris will add talented pass rush depth that we have not seen in Atlanta in a long time. Means, Davison, Bailey, Comisky, and (longshot selection) Latu will offer more than sufficient platoon help, so... I mean throw the homer eggs at me if you want to, but I see this group putting together a top 12 performance.   

I just counted, there were 18 teams with 40 or more sacks this past year. Atl went several games without a sack largely due to poor scheme and coverage on the backend. We finished the season with 28 even after our horrendous start.  

I’ll stand by my original post. If the improved defensive play carries over from the last half of last year, 38-42 sacks is my prediction. 

If Koetter establishes a top 5 run game and the Falcons are top 5 in time of possession, then D can be top half of the league, simply by virtue of being on the field less. The D-line talent doesn't scream top 10 in the league to me.

The 2019 D got 28 sacks even though the first half-season they were pathetic in pressures and coverage. We can expect the secondary to play good, tight D with great communication, thanks to Morris.

We have three new guys for that DL rotation that could easily add 12 sacks between them to get us to 40 sacks. Not a lock to achieve that mark, but hardly the unimaginable goal some people are making it out to be.

Posted (edited)

Young secondary. Don't know what level Neal will come back it and if he can stay on the field. Not much depth. You'd be lucky to add 10 sacks to the total. The only one that isn't a question mark is Grady. Heck top half would be an achievement.

Edited by grandcanyonaz