Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Auburn's defensive line was quite disruptive and was a tale of two picks in the 2020 NFL draft. 

Derrick Brown was a clear top 10 pick by predraft pundits and ended up going to the Panthers in round 1, pick 7.

Marlon Davidson, a potential late first round to early second round ended up getting picked by the Falcons in round 2, pick 47.

Many say that Davidson's production was a result of Brown. I argue that Brown's production was a result of Davidson. Let's compare stats.

Solo tackles- Davidson 30, Brown 33

Assisted tackles- Davidson 19, Brown 22

Sacks- Davidson 7.5, Brown 4

PD- Davidson 1, Brown 4

FF- Davidson 2, Brown 2

FR- Davidson 1, Brown 2

Two very great players with very similar numbers. Only one was a bargain draft pick however 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 they can both benefit mutually, It doesn’t have to be one or the other... that said, Brown was always drawing extra bodies. But Davidson beat his man, so he did his job. That should be enough lined up w Jarrett and Fowler.

would have loved to get a Brown, and am pleased we got MD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue is projected position in NFL. Brown is clearly a DT and one capable of front both a NT or UT depending on how he develops. Davidson is a bit Of a projected tweener - is he a DE or DT? Bit to slow for a true DE and not quite the right size for a pure DT. I believe his future in the NFL will be a solid run stopping DE who can move inside on padding downs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, primetime said:

The issue is projected position in NFL. Brown is clearly a DT and one capable of front both a NT or UT depending on how he develops. Davidson is a bit Of a projected tweener - is he a DE or DT? Bit to slow for a true DE and not quite the right size for a pure DT. I believe his future in the NFL will be a solid run stopping DE who can move inside on padding downs. 

Seeing Jarrett had the most tackles out of all DT in the NFL last year and Fowler is also an above tackler for his position, we may be in really good shape with tackling with the front 4. This could free up some exciting defensive calls from Morris if we can rely on this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think fans have very unrealistic opinions on how much defensive linemen "help" each other via blocking and gameplanning. The vast majority of the time the offensive line blocks just like they would against any other players or any other team. The OTs blocks the DEs and the Gs and C block the DTs. Both Brown and Davidson were good players and did good jobs beating the players trying to block them. It's not like opponents would put all 5 linemen on Brown and then Davidson would just have to beat a slot WR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

I think fans have very unrealistic opinions on how much defensive linemen "help" each other via blocking and gameplanning. The vast majority of the time the offensive line blocks just like they would against any other players or any other team. The OTs blocks the DEs and the Gs and C block the DTs. Both Brown and Davidson were good players and did good jobs beating the players trying to block them. It's not like opponents would put all 5 linemen on Brown and then Davidson would just have to beat a slot WR. 

This is so true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Stats dont completely tell a story. It truly falls on the visual assessment, especially in this situation 

Not saying I disagree as far as stats alone, but could you elaborate on the visual assessment part of the situation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Not saying I disagree as far as stats alone, but could you elaborate on the visual assessment part of the situation?

Actual in depth video breakdowns to support it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

This is so true. 

Ill disagree. So false, actually.

Many times Takk almost had a sack last year, as seen in his pressure pct numbers. But without much "defensive lineman help" the QB was able to simply step up or slide to avoid that single player. Had Vic been anywhere in the camera view, he could have prevented the slide and helped with a sack. People here consistently say the way to beat Brady and Brees is with up the middle pressure. The middle consists of more than 1 person at DT. Thats why we saw a top 10 defense in 2017 because Poe was there to help GJ. Then we went with Mcclain and what happened? Middle of the Dline sucked.

Any coach in the NFL will tell you that Pass rush and line play is a team effort. Not one guy beating his man. If you think for a minute that putting better players next to Grady or Takk won't help, you're not a football fan. There are Stunts, E-T games, players that take on double teams so that others get  one on ones. All that come from the whole Dline lining up, and doing their job. They most certainly do help each other 100%.

If a QB goes against a good DE on the right and a Vic Beasley on the left, guess where the slide hole will be every single down? Your RDE will never get near the QB becuase they know Vic goes wide and up the field 5 yards past the pocket every pass rush. Means your RDE now has to account for 2 more yards to catch up to the sliding QB as he slide into Vics vacated space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They helped each other. But like someone else said, he's getting to line up with Jarrett and Fowler now. He'll hardly ever get double teamed unless he's absolutely wrecking games...and that frees up the other guys. We're in really good shape. 

Now, bring in Everson Griffen...and we might just have something special brewing on the DL. Not expecting it, but we're definitely gonna have a decent size signing on D when Tru's money comes free in a few weeks, jmho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Davidson is a nice player, but he's not Brown, and I don't give 2 ***** what stats say.  I love your enthusiasm for Davidson, but if Brown had been our pick, I am sure you'd be spinning it the other way.

I'm as die-hard an Auburn fan as they come. I've watched every Auburn game since the 1980 season. And from my perspective Brown and Davidson are equal talents. Very similar motors. Very similar commitment to technique. Same dog mentality. Both very coachable. Brown edges Davidson against the run. Davidson edges Brown in pass rush. But the differences aren't drop offs on a trend... they're tiny blips. Minuscule differences, in my opinion. We got a #### solid player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

I'm as die-hard an Auburn fan as they come. I've watched every Auburn game since the 1980 season. And from my perspective Brown and Davidson are equal talents. Very similar motors. Very similar commitment to technique. Same dog mentality. Both very coachable. Brown edges Davidson against the run. Davidson edges Brown in pass rush. But the differences aren't drop offs on a trend... they're tiny blips. Minuscule differences, in my opinion. We got a #### solid player. 

I watched plenty of Auburn games as well, and Brown is the better player.  I think we got a fine player in Davidson, but I strongly believe Brown will be the better pro.  Honestly though, nobody knows at this point. I hope Davidson ends up being as good or better, but at this point, I don't think that is the case.  

Obviously many NFL decision makers agree with me, since Brown went #7 in the first round, and Davidson went #47 in the second round.  Could they be wrong? Of course, but at this point, they say Brown is the better player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Davidson is a nice player, but he's not Brown, and I don't give 2 ***** what stats say.  I love your enthusiasm for Davidson, but if Brown had been our pick, I am sure you'd be spinning it the other way.

I'm sure I would... especially if we got Brown at 47

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Stats dont completely tell a story. It truly falls on the visual assessment, especially in this situation 

Agreed on stats.  They're very useful, but just a part.  What makes the visual especially important in this situation as opposed to others?  Seeing doubles, seeing penetration differences?

What'd you see that you're referencing.  I didn't watch a lot of college FB this year, so I'd like the insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Actual in depth video breakdowns to support it. 

Don't stats reflect game breakdowns? I could see stats not reflecting defensive backs if they are not being targeted, hence maybe not many ints. I am aware that Davidson was a DE and Brown a DT, so that could be something there too. I was more impressed with Davidson's tackle numbers comparatively to be honest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mister pudding said:

Don't stats reflect game breakdowns? I could see stats not reflecting defensive backs if they are not being targeted, hence maybe not many ints. I am aware that Davidson was a DE and Brown a DT, so that could be something there too. I was more impressed with Davidson's tackle numbers comparatively to be honest 

Stats don't tell me how either performed in their one on one assignments, double teams, how good or poor technique is, etc...…. your purpose of this thread was to show who played the bigger role going by the title and numbers alone don't truly show that to the fullest extent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I watched plenty of Auburn games as well, and Brown is the better player.  I think we got a fine player in Davidson, but I strongly believe Brown will be the better pro.  Honestly though, nobody knows at this point. I hope Davidson ends up being as good or better, but at this point, I don't think that is the case.  

Obviously many NFL decision makers agree with me, since Brown went #7 in the first round, and Davidson went #47 in the second round.  Could they be wrong? Of course, but at this point, they say Brown is the better player.

I hear you. We all have our own opinions. I enjoy hearing them all. Well, most of them. LOL! But we all have our own way of seeing things. I felt Davidson was vastly underrated leading up to the draft, and always believed they would come off the board, one right after the other. I was shocked when Davidson fell to #47. But as far as I'm concerned, we are huge winners because of it. I appreciated your viewpoint, though, brother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Stats don't tell me how either performed in their one on one assignments, double teams, how good or poor technique is, etc...…. your purpose of this thread was to show who played the bigger role going by the title and numbers alone don't truly show that to the fullest extent

My purpose of the thread was truly to just have something different to talk about and get some debate and to learn. 

I've heard on here that Davidson is a product of Brown. So I watched videos of both and studied the stats. No, I'm not a professional scout and do not have access to every aspect of each in every scenario 

Just a fan rooting for my player and trying to support it with meaningful discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe they were a product of each other after watching some of the film. However, Davidson has some good burst and bend when lined up wide. Inside he has good power and set up Brown a by taking on blocks. I think Davidson and Comisky will benefit greatly by playing next to Grady and vice versa if they're used correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They clearly both helped each other at Auburn. The roles they played in college and indeed what they'll be asked to do in the NFL is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Out of the two I suspect Davidson will make more splash plays whilst what Brown does well won't necessarily show up on the stat sheet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

They clearly both helped each other at Auburn. The roles they played in college and indeed what they'll be asked to do in the NFL is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Out of the two I suspect Davidson will make more splash plays whilst what Brown does well won't necessarily show up on the stat sheet.

I agree. I see Brown giving linebackers and ends space to get to the quarterback but I will also say looking at some Auburn game tape Davidson seems more than capable of holding blockers himself. He gave Brown some opportunities as well. They were just a really good combo at Auburn. I hope Grady and Marlon can be the same here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...