Why the LSU game endeared A.J. Terrell to Raheem Morris the most

On 5/12/2020 at 12:48 PM, Goober Pyle said:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/why-the-lsu-game-endeared-a-j-terrell-to-raheem-morris-the-most

"You know, I always carry a chip on my shoulder, but that one game definitely gave me a chip on my shoulder,"

I was wrong about this guy.  I had a meltdown on draft day.  Actually we had a fantastic draft.  Da **** do I know?

Edited by BFG

On 5/13/2020 at 11:51 AM, Spts1 said:

Falcons get bad grades from draft analysts after picking A.J. Terrell

Spts1 just shows how a wide swath of football fans don’t understand the cornerback position.

There are certain throws that are not easily defendable against a good team like Bama - like the one above.

There are other plays where the corner does almost everything right and there is no defense for the perfect pass.

All corners give up receptions and the occasional touchdown.

Cornerback is like offensive line.  If you are being talked about or noticed, it’s mostly for a negative play or penalty.

Some of you guys come off as extremely arrogant and disingenuous.

On one hand you'll argue the validity of scout's for having Okudah ranked higher than Terrell. Then immediately say Terrell was going to be a top 20 pick based on the scouts. Are we or are we not using scouting consensus in the evaluation. Either its unreliable for ranking Okudah over Terrell based on little to nothing, or it's legit for justifying us drafting Terrell when we did because other teams had him ranked highly. It can't be both.

To me, the only way Terrell justifys being drafted when we had trade partners willing to offer additional picks, possibly a 2nd, he turns into an impact player quickly and substantially outperforms 2nd and 3rd round CBs. And that's considering Queen and Murray arent Probowlers. Short of that, how can you honestly say a combo of one of those LBs and a lesser CB wouldn't have been a better option?

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Some of you guys come off as extremely arrogant and disingenuous.

On one hand you'll argue the validity of scout's for having Okudah ranked higher than Terrell. Then immediately say Terrell was going to be a top 20 pick based on the scouts. Are we or are we not using scouting consensus in the evaluation. Either its unreliable for ranking Okudah over Terrell based on little to nothing, or it's legit for justifying us drafting Terrell when we did because other teams had him ranked highly. It can't be both.

To me, the only way Terrell justifys being drafted when we had trade partners willing to offer additional picks, possibly a 2nd, he turns into an impact player quickly and substantially outperforms 2nd and 3rd round CBs. And that's considering Queen and Murray arent Probowlers. Short of that, how can you honestly say a combo of one of those LBs and a lesser CB wouldn't have been a better option?

What scouts are you citing?

Kiper, McShay, Walter in his Basement, etc.?

Do tell us who the “scouting consensus” is? Name names

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

What scout’s are you citing?

Kiper, McShay, Walter in his Basement, etc.?

Do tell us who the “scouting consensus” is? Name names

I did an analysis of the mock drafts in my annual mock with me.  In that I showed average draft position. The point is I did a comparative analysis of the average position most people saw the two CBs going. 

To a man everyone had Okudah over Terrell. Very few had Terrell as high as our pick.  Then magically after the draft "GMs" and anonymous sources said he was sought after highly. Right. His position is an important position in football. That combined with the lack of clear leaders at the position after Okudah and Henderson lead to his value seeming to be higher than it was. 

Terrell was never thought of as a top CB. At no point until this draft was he some highly regarded prospect. There's several guys that held up against better competition. But his mix of good size average and speed as well as decent tape gave him the edge in some folks mind. 

Edited by MD-FalconFan13

14 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I did an analysis of the mock drafts in my annual mock with me.  In that I showed average draft position. The point is I did a comparative analysis of the average position most people saw the two CBs going. 

To a man everyone had Okudah over Terrell. Very few had Terrell as high as our pick.  Then magically after the draft "GMs" and anonymous sources said he was sought after highly. Right. His position is an important position in football. That combined with the lack of clear leaders at the position after Okudah and Henderson lead to his value seeming to be higher than it was. 

Terrell was never thought of as a top CB. At no point until this draft was he some highly regarded prospect. There's several guys that held up against better competition. But his mix of good size average and speed as well as decent tape gave him the edge in some folks mind. 

Ok so you give more weight to Kiper, McShay and Walter than Mike Mayock (an actual NFL GM) .and Sean Payton(an actual NFL HC).

the NFL media has shown a propensity to not have much of a clue outside of the top 8-10 picks.

Moreover, you armchair QB-ing the “Terrell Diggs was available at our pick #47” type of analysis - the NFL media had him as a borderline 1st round pick.   

There was a lot of talk pre-draft that A.J. Terrell was “rising up draft boards”.   Let me interpret what that means - it means A.J. Terrell has always been higher on NFL GM draft boards than NFL Media draft boards but we are just now finding out about it 24-48 hours prior to draft because that is generally when this stuff starts leaking out - if it leaks at all.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Ok so you give more weight to Kiper, McShay and Walter than Mike Mayock (an actual NFL GM) .and Sean Payton(an actual NFL HC).

the NFL media has shown a propensity to not have much of a clue outside of the top 8-10 picks.

Moreover, you armchair QB-ing the “Terrell Diggs was available at our pick #47” type of analysis - the NFL media had him as a borderline 1st round pick.   

There was a lot of talk pre-draft that A.J. Terrell was “rising up draft boards”.   Let me interpret what that means - it means A.J. Terrell has always been higher on NFL GM draft boards than NFL Media draft boards but we are just now finding out about it 24-48 hours prior to draft because that is generally when this stuff starts leaking out - if it leaks at all.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

True, I am more of an Armchair GM. But this year in particular, I believe my access to players actually matched a lot of GMs access to player given the Coronavirus outbreak. Obviously in normal circumstances their up close analysis would Trump mine, but in a year where most people are relying on videotape and game film the tables are at least a bit more even. 

Not saying I have the experience or acumen of these head coaches, but I've done my fair share of experience with film review.

In any event, I think coaches and GMs talk a lot about what they would've done. The Saints were high on Ruiz. I think that was their pick regardless of who almost anyone being their. They needed a Center. 

I agree that analyst dont know everything,  but most get the top of the draft correct. It's only after a certain amount of picks that most drafts greatly vary from projections. Also, GMs boards can change to with bad interviews or combine/pro day performances. 

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

🤠  there you have it folks 

this MD’s “scouting consensus”. 😆

btw, this is nothing personal.  Just disagreeing with my friend MD and talking a little trash.

Lol...not really scouting consensus. More like draft analysts consensus.

😁😁