Why the LSU game endeared A.J. Terrell to Raheem Morris the most

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/why-the-lsu-game-endeared-a-j-terrell-to-raheem-morris-the-most   One game shouldn't overshadow an entire career, but A.J. Terrell's performance against J

I’m tired of hearing about the NCG.  AJ was beat several times but was in phase most of the game.  He will be fine.

AJ also got pushed off during that game and didn’t get the Off PI call

I hope dude turns out great. It’s just still going to be hard for me to understand how we wouldn’t have been better trading back and trading back and take a corner and safety in the early 2nd, still w the ability to grab a DT in the 2nd or 3rd. 

he’s going to have to outperform a lot of good corners that were taken in the 2nd to be worth the pick obviously. 

I also care more about a guy who can recover quickly, stay in pocket, and turn his head.
We care too much about height and not hip switch and anticipation. That 1-2 inches of height doesn’t make much difference unless it comes w 3 inch longer arms too. And even still, that 5” nowhere near makes up for a misstep or not being able to get hips around. 

Really curious to see what they do w him. He doesn’t seem to be the athlete of tru or rocky, so they must have something specific they’re going to do. 

As mentioned in the article, Terrell comes in with a "chip" on his shoulder.  It really is more like a black eye that many assume means he lost his fight.

Hopefully, rather than getting an obnoxious 1st round pick from Clemson who assumes he is already bigger than the rest of the NFL, we might get a humble one who might be looking forward to picking off a Wilson, Brees, Brady or Mahomes.

9 hours ago, jetpac said:

We did reach and we can puff piece this all day. Dude got beat for 227 yards. Simple.

But in actuality, any unqualified bozo the clown like you can spout off a guess right?

Yes you are simple.  Please do tell us about all your scouting credentials & analysis outside of this game that you read about in some nerd blog written by some other unqualified geek who also has no earthly idea WTH they’re talking about either.

So really it boils down to waiting & seeing or choosing to either support the kid or do what the cowardly sky-screamers do here & trash everything the falcons do so they can come back & shout “look at me, I told ya so!”

Then, If the guy ends up playing pretty well, you’ll hide under your bed sucking your thumb. Or you’ll lurk in the shadows waiting for every chance to trash the guy when a pass is caught or a TD is scored on him.  We have plenty of these type of Einsteins here.  Not an ounce of positive encouragement between them.

I’ve gotten behind the guy from the onset because I like him & his game. Win, lose or draw, that’s my story & I’m sticking to it.

Dude, your puff piece ain’t any better than the next guy’s puff piece.  Geesh. :tiphat:

9 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

But in actuality, any unqualified bozo the clown like you can spout off a guess right?

Yes you are simple.  Please do tell us about all your scouting credentials & analysis outside of this game that you read about in some nerd blog written by some other unqualified geek who also has no earthly idea WTH they’re talking about either.

So really it boils down to waiting & seeing or choosing to either support the kid or do what the cowardly sky-screamers do here & trash everything the falcons do so they can come back & shout “look at me, I told ya so!”

Then, If the guy ends up playing pretty well, you’ll hide under your bed sucking your thumb. Or you’ll lurk in the shadows waiting for every chance to trash the guy when a pass is caught or a TD is scored on him.  We have plenty of these type of Einsteins here.  Not an ounce of positive encouragement between them.

I’ve gotten behind the guy from the onset because I like him & his game. Win, lose or draw, that’s my story & I’m sticking to it.

Dude, your puff piece ain’t any better than the next guy’s puff piece.  Geesh. :tiphat:

Awww you mad?

Edited by jetpac

I actually had him in a mock a few months ago in the 2nd round. Mainly because that’s where he was projected. Honestly it’s his physical nature that I’m digging. I don’t care about a loss, especially in a CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Most of the guys taken in the draft don’t make it THAT far. So it’s stupid really. He may actually be the best corner in this draft. 

Folks are playing too nice about this subject and not really saying what they truly feel. Well I'm not. I didn't like the pick and I still don't. On top of that, I'm seeing folks saying things like he got beat by great throws in the NC game, as if that's a legit excuse. This ain't semi-pro football we're talking about, the man is going to play in the NFL where great throws and strong WRs are the norm. So, what is there to feel good about?

Majority of NFL teams have a Joe Burrow throwing dimes and a Ja'Marr Chase beating jams. So, once again what's the point? And why am I giving someone props just because they didn't say no when they were volun-told to shadow the other team's best WR? The point is he didn't meet that challenge. Is it not? Like, am I just giving you credit because you said sure coach vs actually doing the task I asked you to do?

In the moment following the draft, what is Raheem Morris supposed to say? Was he supposed to say the kid played like trash on college football's biggest stage? Of course he's going to defend his guy, and ultimately justify the pick. Morris' response doesn't bother me as much as the pick did.

I hope on everything that I'm wrong about Terrell, but as an avid CFB fan, I was never that impressed with him in his 3 seasons at Clemson. I don't know if the Falcons need him to be exceptional, pretty good or just good enough, but whatever the plan is for him, given our issues in the secondary, I didn't feel like the Falcons got what they needed with that pick. I guess the only thing left to say is we'll see.

30 minutes ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

Folks are playing too nice about this subject and not really saying what they truly feel. Well I'm not. I didn't like the pick and I still don't. On top of that, I'm seeing folks saying things like he got beat by great throws in the NC game, as if that's a legit excuse. This ain't semi-pro football we're talking about, the man is going to play in the NFL where great throws and strong WRs are the norm. So, what is there to feel good about?

Majority of NFL teams have a Joe Burrow throwing dimes and a Ja'Marr Chase beating jams. So, once again what's the point? And why am I giving someone props just because they didn't say no when they were volun-told to shadow the other team's best WR? The point is he didn't meet that challenge. Is it not? Like, am I just giving you credit because you said sure coach vs actually doing the task I asked you to do?

In the moment following the draft, what is Raheem Morris supposed to say? Was he supposed to say the kid played like trash on college football's biggest stage? Of course he's going to defend his guy, and ultimately justify the pick. Morris' response doesn't bother me as much as the pick did.

I hope on everything that I'm wrong about Terrell, but as an avid CFB fan, I was never that impressed with him in his 3 seasons at Clemson. I don't know if the Falcons need him to be exceptional, pretty good or just good enough, but whatever the plan is for him, given our issues in the secondary, I didn't feel like the Falcons got what they needed with that pick. I guess the only thing left to say is we'll see.

The point people are making is that guys like Okudah did not face QB/WR combos even close to Terrell.  Therefore, using that one game to trash Terrell is not justifiable.

we can revisit the Terrell v Okudah debate in two years.  For now, it seems like we have a decent crop of rookies.

On 5/13/2020 at 5:07 PM, g-dawg said:

I don’t listen to Kiper......period.   He couldn’t get hired as an NFL scout if he wanted.

Talk about bad tape - Kiper has a ton of it.   A broken clock is more right than Kiper.

Same.  I was always a much bigger fan of Mayock, draft season isn’t the same without him on NFL Network.  Can’t stand Kiper.

CB’s tend to look like “reaches” more than any other position because of scheme fits.  Media has to grade them in a vacuum.  When you look at perceived value, up or down, CB normally has the largest delta because one team could have someone with a second round grade, next team doesn’t even have them on the board at all because they don’t fit their scheme.  So atl likely has AJ much higher than the media if they feel he fits exactly what they want to do.

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

The point people are making is that guys like Okudah did not face QB/WR combos even close to Terrell.  Therefore, using that one game to trash Terrell is not justifiable.

we can revisit the Terrell v Okudah debate in two years.  For now, it seems like we have a decent crop of rookies.

I'm sorry, but given that he played in the ACC, exactly what great to halfway decent QB/WR combos did Terrell face? I don't think there's much convo to be had if we want to debate Okudah's level of competition to that of Terrell's. At best it's a wash, but there's no way you can tell me Terrell's competition was better than Okudah's on a regular.

I have no choice but to wait it out and see how he pans out, but it sounds to me like the coaches are playing PR right now, and seeing what sticks. Like I said, I hope on everything I'm wrong about this kid, but I just don't see it. We'll see man

3 hours ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

Forreal like yeah tough breaks. I've seen our corners get blasted on here for a lot less than 230 yards and 3 TDs though lmfao.

2 hours ago, Frank_The_Tank said:

I'm sorry, but given that he played in the ACC, exactly what great to halfway decent QB/WR combos did Terrell face? I don't think there's much convo to be had if we want to debate Okudah's level of competition to that of Terrell's. At best it's a wash, but there's no way you can tell me Terrell's competition was better than Okudah's on a regular.

I have no choice but to wait it out and see how he pans out, but it sounds to me like the coaches are playing PR right now, and seeing what sticks. Like I said, I hope on everything I'm wrong about this kid, but I just don't see it. We'll see man

Terrell did a great job in coverage ALL SEASON LONG.  He had one bad game and suddenly, he is less than Okudah.  

my point is that Okudah faced no great QB/WR combo.......none.  So, there is no way to judge whether Okudah could actually cover under the same circumstance.  

Okudah may turn out to be a great CB.  That would be fine with me.  But trashing Terrell for a poor performance ONCE against the best QB and best WR in college football is just nonsense.

18 hours ago, etherdome said:

Terrell did a great job in coverage ALL SEASON LONG.  He had one bad game and suddenly, he is less than Okudah.  

my point is that Okudah faced no great QB/WR combo.......none.  So, there is no way to judge whether Okudah could actually cover under the same circumstance.  

Okudah may turn out to be a great CB.  That would be fine with me.  But trashing Terrell for a poor performance ONCE against the best QB and best WR in college football is just nonsense.

You say, "Terrell did a great job in coverage ALL SEASON LONG." My point is against who? You make it sound as if Terrell's level of competition was so superior to that of Okudah's. If you were to ask anybody who really payed close attention to CFB, and asked them which conference was tougher with better competition, the ACC or the Big 10, I think you would be disappointed by their response. 

And I never said I drew my opinion off of one game. I actually said I had been watching him ever since he arrived on campus. At no time in any of those 3 seasons did I ever feel he was 1 of the top 3 players on the field. As far as the NC game is concerned, it wasn't my sole reference, it just solidified my impression of him. Decent player with great talent around him that made his game look better.

Lastly, I'm not the one who drew the conclusion that Okudah's better. NFL scouts did. I never actually compared Terrell to anybody else. I just stuck to my own opinion of him, not who I felt he was better, worse or equal to. I know one thing, if I had to choose between tOSU or Clemson for a CB, tOSU has a helluva better track record than Clemson.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:23 AM, Frank_The_Tank said:

You say, "Terrell did a great job in coverage ALL SEASON LONG." My point is against who? You make it sound as if Terrell's level of competition was so superior to that of Okudah's. If you were to ask anybody who really payed close attention to CFB, and asked them which conference was tougher with better competition, the ACC or the Big 10, I think you would be disappointed by their response. 

And I never said I drew my opinion off of one game. I actually said I had been watching him ever since he arrived on campus. At no time in any of those 3 seasons did I ever feel he was 1 of the top 3 players on the field. As far as the NC game is concerned, it wasn't my sole reference, it just solidified my impression of him. Decent player with great talent around him that made his game look better.

Lastly, I'm not the one who drew the conclusion that Okudah's better. NFL scouts did. I never actually compared Terrell to anybody else. I just stuck to my own opinion of him, not who I felt he was better, worse or equal to. I know one thing, if I had to choose between tOSU or Clemson for a CB, tOSU has a helluva better track record than Clemson.

My point was made succinctly.  I said that Terrell is unfairly judged for his performance against the best QB/WR duo in the nation.  Then, I pointed out that Okudah has never faced such a duo.  

i don’t recall claiming that Terrell’s league featured superior pass/receiving combos.  However, I did mention that he did not face many (if any) top tier QB/WR combos.   

Ranking Terrell below Okudah is nothing more than conjecture.  So many posters are saying that we could have drafted a CB of similar quality in the second round.  I don’t think that the NFL GM’s would agree.

in the end, we added a good CB prospect and still were able to acquire a good DT prospect in the second round

On 5/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, etherdome said:

Most scouts had Okudah ranked at top of CB class based on body of work during regular season, long before the Championship games. 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:40 AM, takeitdown said:

I hope dude turns out great. It’s just still going to be hard for me to understand how we wouldn’t have been better trading back and trading back and take a corner and safety in the early 2nd, still w the ability to grab a DT in the 2nd or 3rd. 

he’s going to have to outperform a lot of good corners that were taken in the 2nd to be worth the pick obviously. 

I also care more about a guy who can recover quickly, stay in pocket, and turn his head.
We care too much about height and not hip switch and anticipation. That 1-2 inches of height doesn’t make much difference unless it comes w 3 inch longer arms too. And even still, that 5” nowhere near makes up for a misstep or not being able to get hips around. 

Really curious to see what they do w him. He doesn’t seem to be the athlete of tru or rocky, so they must have something specific they’re going to do. 

I agree.  He has to really be good to justify taking him there instead of trading back.  He should be a very good player...

On 5/15/2020 at 12:40 AM, takeitdown said:

I don’t understand why people even say this as though we could have simply traded back because we wanted too.  It takes a team wanting to trade to your position and reasonable compensation to do so.  

P.S. AJ is going to ball 

On 5/19/2020 at 7:23 AM, Frank_The_Tank said:

I saw the same thing. He did not face any good WR’s in the ACC. And like I’ve said it’s not just the LSU game, but the NC, VA, and Syracuse games. I also noticed he’s not good at competing for the 50/50 balls.  I think he needs to get stronger and more muscle. Yeah he’s tall and long but he’s weak imo. If they just wanted a tall, long CB they should’ve taken Johnson. He’s not as fast as Terrell but he has the same 40 as Oliver and has played in a variety of schemes.

3 hours ago, Colbeee said:

I don’t understand why people even say this as though we could have simply traded back because we wanted too.  It takes a team wanting to trade to your position and reasonable compensation to do so.  

P.S. AJ is going to ball 

At least one team wanted to trade.  And from there another might want to.

There weren't as many trades this year, but we know someone offered at least a 3rd for us to move back just a few spots.