Why the LSU game endeared A.J. Terrell to Raheem Morris the most

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/24/atlanta-falcons-get-bad-grades-from-draft-analysts-after-drafting-a-j-terrell/amp/

I mean, which source do you want me to pick from?  That pick was universally panned by football analysists.  I myself predicted that the Falcons would have a questionable first round pick, the fans would hate it, then by day two praise the pick .  It happens every season....

ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. has A.J. Terrell to Falcons as his No. 1 head-scratching move: “The Falcons reached for a need, plain and simple. ... He was way too inconsistent throughout the season, and he didn't play well down the stretch. He has a tendency to get grabby.’’

Touchdown Wire’s Luke Easterling expressed similar sentiments in his first-round draft grades, giving the Falcons a “D” for picking Terrell:

The first big reach of the first round, Atlanta wanted a corner badly, but they passed up a handful of prospects far more worthy of being selected in the top half of thefiyrst round.

I think Terrell will be solid in the long term.  But there will be significant growing pains Year 1 if they just put him at boundary with no rangey safety who can support him.

7 of our 16 games will feature WR’s better than Jamaar Chase at this point.  Hopefully the idea isn’t to leave AJ on an island against WR1 in press coverage 

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

I think Terrell will be ok in the long term.  But there will be significant growing pains Year 1 if they just put him at boundary with no safety with range who can support him.

7 of our 16 games will feature WR’s better than Jamaar Chase at this point.  Hopefully the idea isn’t to leave AJ on an island against WR1 in press coverage 

Thats exactly what they gonna do and they BETTER do.   Thats why the article said that Morris liked the fact that Terrell will get beat and blow it off and make a play.  Morris is gonna run press coverage and try and get coverage sacks.  They are gonna give up big plays here and there. The Falcons are gambling on winning by ball control and key stops on defense...

7 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Thats exactly what they gonna do and they BETTER do.   Thats why the article said that Morris liked the fact that Terrell will get beat and blow it off and make a play.  Morris is gonna run press coverage and try and get coverage sacks.  They are gonna give up big plays here and there. The Falcons are gambling on winning by ball control and key stops on defense...

AJ’s strength, like Trufant,  is as an off man corner where he can break quickly on balls.  He isn’t strong enough yet to play press vs most WR1.  Even in college, when playing press man he was incredibly handsy.  He will get penalized a ton for that.  Chase manhandled AJ at the LOS

8 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Spot on. Very obvious to me that’s the plan. 

25 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

AJ’s strength, like Trufant,  is as an off man corner where he can break quickly on balls.  He isn’t strong enough yet to play press vs most WR1.  Even in college, when playing press man he was incredibly handsy.  He will get penalized a ton for that.  Chase manhandled AJ at the LOS

Which is it?  You defended Terrell, then when I said they gonna use him in press, you going in another direction.  Look, the Falcons drafted this dude to play press.  Thats what Morris does.  If they wanted to play off the ball they could've kept Morris on the offensvie side of the ball.   They didn't and will not play off as their primary coverage.  The cover 3 is dead under Morris.  The Falcons are gonna dictate to the offense from their secondary.  It will work most plays and they will get beat some plays.  The key is their safety play. I'm more concerned about big mouth back there (  Allen) then what the corners are gonna do...

4 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Which is it?  You defended Terrell, then when I said they gonna use him in press, you going in another direction.  Look, the Falcons drafted this dude to play press.  Thats what Morris does.  If they wanted to play off the ball they could've kept Morris on the offensvie side of the ball.   They didn't and will not play off as their primary coverage.  The cover 3 is dead under Morris.  The Falcons are gonna dictate to the offense from their secondary.  It will work most plays and they will get beat some plays.  The key is their safety play. I'm more concerned about big mouth back there (  Allen) then what the corners are gonna do...

That’s what I was hoping for, an upgrade at safety from this last draft.....There were several that could have fit right in too.

15 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Allen is Big Mouth? lol

There is a lot to like about AJ, but he has weaknesses  Falcons will need to use him properly.  Until he adds weight he will be worked over in press man.  In catch man technique he can be a valuable asset Year 1.  But in press man he will need tons of safety support.  Just not strong enough yet

A bunch of AJ’s issues in college will be minimized in catch man rather than press.  He plays better downhill which is why some like him as a FS

According to Sports Info Solutions, he allowed a 48 percent catch rate and three touchdowns for a passer rating of 81.3. He allowed a troubling 7-of-13 on passes thrown 20-plus yards downfield. Plus, he missed 14 tackles for a missed-tackle rate of 29 percent, making him perhaps the worst tackler among this year’s corners.

17 hours ago, Spts1 said:

eeeh.  a corner can have a bad game here and there.  Terrell still has to live up to being selected as their first pick though because they reached for him...

Agreed. Everyone must earn their draft grade. That being said, after we quote reached for Neal I’ve stopped prognosticating careers based on quote draft experts opinion. Sometimes a player is such a fit that it works. When healthy I’d say Neal would have been worth his pick based on his role as an enforcer and attitude adjustment. 

nine catches, 221 yards, two touchdowns

"The things that people didn't like about him was his LSU game that he got beat on a couple of times, but that was what made me like him probably the most." -Morris

From what I seen to start the year last year he does sound like a perfect fit for our Secondary.

In all seriousness though I'm excited for AJ. I think he can become a great DB for us. Looks like we'll be playing a lot more man coverage with the players we've drafted the last couple years.

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Allen is Big Mouth? lol

There is a lot to like about AJ, but he has weaknesses  Falcons will need to use him properly.  Until he adds weight he will be worked over in press man.  In catch man technique he can be a valuable asset Year 1.  But in press man he will need tons of safety support.  Just not strong enough yet

Allen is not a play maker.  Constantly runs late into the play but the FIRST mouth open during the press conferences talking about what they NEED TO DO.  The only free safety worst than him that I remember off hand the last few years is Chris Conte.  Falcon coaches and fans love the dude and his mouthpiece, whatever.  I like PLAYERS and Allen isn't one of them...

Edited by Spts1

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

That’s what I was hoping for, an upgrade at safety from this last draft.....There were several that could have fit right in too.

EXACTLY!   Defense will never change. You build from the inside out.  BOTH safeties,  mike linebacker and your defensive tackle have to be monsters.  I don't care how exotic the offense is,  you dictate from inside out.  I hate to bring the Patriots into this but thats exactly what Belichick does.   Safety is soo important that the Patriots went down to DIVISION II and STOLE Kyle Dugger at 37.

I don't know the background story of why Dugger wound up playing for the YMCA (  Lenoir Rhyne)  :lol:  but the dude is the real deal.  Can play either safety, range, playmaker, AND a fierce tackler.  Day one would've been the heir apparent to replace Allen.  It would have only been a issue of how fast can he learn the scheme.    

The Falcons should've ( and some Falcon members on this board said as much) traded down and got a better combination of defense by grabbing a extra pick so that they could've addressed safety.  Folks are not sold on Jaylinn being a NFL player.   Finally, its not that Terrell is a bad pick per se.  Its the fact that they should've traded back and got him while addressing safety...

I realize this post went in several directions, but it ties together as a whole...

22 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I never thought the LSU game was bad for Terrell.   He was close enough in both of those TDs.     Sometimes you have good coverage yet still give up a TD - most fair-weather fans or casual fans don't know this.  There is no defense for a perfect pass - a perfect pass gets it done almost every time.

The worse thing is because he got beat in that game the rest of his body of work isn’t even judged.They look at that game and that’s Terrell in a nutshell.This is the biggest mistake in my eyes it’s as though Terrell played Chase the whole season in there heads.

3 hours ago, Spts1 said:

We don't play off coverage in cover 3.  We press.

Zone =/= off

5 hours ago, Spts1 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/24/atlanta-falcons-get-bad-grades-from-draft-analysts-after-drafting-a-j-terrell/amp/

I mean, which source do you want me to pick from?  That pick was universally panned by football analysists.  I myself predicted that the Falcons would have a questionable first round pick, the fans would hate it, then by day two praise the pick .  It happens every season....

ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. has A.J. Terrell to Falcons as his No. 1 head-scratching move: “The Falcons reached for a need, plain and simple. ... He was way too inconsistent throughout the season, and he didn't play well down the stretch. He has a tendency to get grabby.’’

Touchdown Wire’s Luke Easterling expressed similar sentiments in his first-round draft grades, giving the Falcons a “D” for picking Terrell:

The first big reach of the first round, Atlanta wanted a corner badly, but they passed up a handful of prospects far more worthy of being selected in the top half of thefiyrst round.

How bout a source inside of Flowery Branch the guys actually in charge of building the team how bout those guys.

Or would you prefer the guy that has about 250 odd opinions on every player getting drafted and not the detail or direction in which the team wants to go or the outlook that the team is looking for when evaluating a player.

How bout a guy like Gil Brandt Bill Polian Charley Cassely experienced ex-GMs how bout those guys who will probably have a much different outlook than Kiper.If that’s onething I’ve learnt listening to the talking heads take them with a grain of salt don’t let them influence you.

In the end they are throwing darts blind folded just like the average fan but get paid for it which is thee only difference.

2 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Allen is not a play maker.  Constantly runs late into the play but the FIRST mouth open during the press conferences talking about what they NEED TO DO.  The only free safety worst than him that I remember off hand the last few years is Chris Conte.  Falcon coaches and fans love the dude and his mouthpiece, whatever.  I like PLAYERS and Allen isn't one of them...

I mean,  Rico is a solid player.  Is he elite?  No.  Is he ideal as single high?  Probably not., but in two deep & Big Nickel he becomes a very good player.  Rico can be a plus defender at safety & nickel which is huge for us.

A safety corp of Delpit, Allen & Neal would have been a strength of the team

4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Lol. He is physical press corner in man to man. He will be terrible cover corner. Every one gets beat in man to man. 

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

How bout a source inside of Flowery Branch the guys actually in charge of building the team how bout those guys.

Or would you prefer the guy that has about 250 odd opinions on every player getting drafted and not the detail or direction in which the team wants to go or the outlook that the team is looking for when evaluating a player.

How bout a guy like Gil Brandt Bill Polian Charley Cassely experienced ex-GMs how bout those guys who will probably have a much different outlook than Kiper.If that’s onething I’ve learnt listening to the talking heads take them with a grain of salt don’t let them influence you.

In the end they are throwing darts blind folded just like the average fan but get paid for it which is thee only difference.

I don’t listen to Kiper......period.   He couldn’t get hired as an NFL scout if he wanted.

Talk about bad tape - Kiper has a ton of it.   A broken clock is more right than Kiper.

On 5/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, Goober Pyle said:

had a massive impact on the public's perception of him.

not really, just the ones that are lazy & shortsighted.  It's the same sheep being led around by the nose that allow the media to tell them what to believe.  The media is wrong way more than they are right.  The media does what they're told to do.  They get paid to think certain ways.  

pathetic & sad really.  It's like, hey, i better not do my own research & disagree or someone may not agree with me & my entire social media life revolves around fitting in with the other sheep.