Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Xfactor

I’m really pulling for this kid now

'Mama, we made it': Falcons draftee Marlon Davidson fulfills NFL promise to his late mother

Marlon Davidson stood at his mother's gravesite hours after the defensive lineman was selected by the Atlanta Falcons in the second round of the 2020 NFL draft and recited those words: "Mama, we made it. We're here now."

Amid the chaos of the family celebration, Davidson slipped out of his aunt's home in Greenville, Alabama, hopped in his truck, and drove 20 minutes to the Ridgeville Baptist Church cemetery to honor the person who paved his NFL path.

Davidson's mom, Cynthia Carter, died on Feb. 23, 2015 at the age of 47 due to complications from a blood clot in her right leg. She collapsed and hit her head while leaving an immediate care facility, but it was the clot circulating to her heart -- not the fall, as had been reported -- that was the cause of death, according to Davidson's aunt, Debra Moorer.

Davidson, a junior in high school at the time of his mother's death, went to live with Moorer. Reflecting on the tragedy makes his voice quiver.

After losing my mother I can’t even imagine the distractions, emotions and grief at such a young age. It’s a wound that never heals go big man.

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

Crap, this is what Takk was like for Grandma, I hope Marlon really means and is dedicated to being great and not just a talker...fingers crossed. 

I was thinking the exact same thing, although i thought it was cool,  walking up on stage with a big picture of your grandma is kinda weird 

4 minutes ago, caponine said:

I was thinking the exact same thing, although i thought it was cool,  walking up on stage with a big picture of your grandma is kinda weird 

What Takk did on stage with the picture was great, but what he's done since is less than average unfortunately. 

16 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Crap, this is what Takk was like for Grandma, I hope Marlon really means and is dedicated to being great and not just a talker...fingers crossed. 

Takk is average low ceiling guy who pretty much lived up to his draft potential.  Davidson sounds more mature. Takk using F word among other things showed his immaturity from get go. I see Davidson in same mold as Kawan Short.

Just now, falcons007 said:

Takk is average low ceiling guy who pretty much lived up to his draft potential.  Davidson sounds more mature. Takk using F word among other things showed his immaturity from get go. I see Davidson in same mold as Kawan Short.

I hope so. Always pulling for our draft picks. 

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Many of these young men have stories of overcoming hardship. I love hearing about them myself.

6 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Exactly and ultimately that’s more important and more impressive than doing anything in the nfl to me. 

The human interest stories are a big reason why we love this game, right Blood? If this young man can overcome the adversity of losing his mom as a teenager.....not to mention all the other things he’s had to overcome.....maybe I can overcome mine as well. 

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

The human interest stories are a big reason why we love this game, right Blood? If this young man can overcome the adversity of losing his mom as a teenager.....not to mention all the other things he’s had to overcome.....maybe I can overcome mine as well. 

Exactly right brother. I know that hurt will always be with him and you. But you learn how to focus that into something positive 

1 hour ago, red falcon said:

I dont think it's the same as takk. Davidson was seen as a leader at Auburn. Hes also coming out as a more polished pass rusher. His scouting report says he has a plan when he rushes. Takk has only really shown bullrush. 

Dont put them in the same boat.

Yeah, Marlon is definitely a more mature person at this stage. Takk has a ways to go in that department. 

Clots are a major cause of death and serious illness that  (for some reason)  nobody seems to care about.  From stoptheclot.org:

100,000 to 300,000 deaths from blood clots occur each year, which is greater than the total number of people who lose their lives each year to AIDS, breast cancer, and motor vehicle crashes combined. 600,000 non-fatal cases of deadly blood clots occur each year, of which 40% are blood clots in the lungs and 60% are blood clots in the legs.

4 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yeah but Takk was Whack!

Y'all really some ignorant folks to use this to crap on what Takk did on draft day.

Crap on what he does on the football field. Heck crap on what he does on social media. But how he grieves for his grandma should be off limits. Y'all trippin.

Happy Mother's Day tho!

The league is so cut throat.

Everyone has talent.The difference you’ll find is normally for the guys that get it is that top 2’s the mental make up,details is what push you over the top and make you a success or if not just another guy who made the league.

You can do all the talking in the world if you can’t knuckle down and match the off field preparation and transfer it to onfield performance you’ll be history in a short time or you’ll just make up the numbers making it year to year before falling off the cliff.

5 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

What Takk and Marlon did is a success story alone. How they play has no bearings on what they did when they were drafted. I mean come on now lol

This 100% The fact they even made it to the NFL is the success. All the blood, sweat, and tears they had to put in has finally paid off.