Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jlrfalcon

What Would It Take to Get You to Forget Super Bowl 51?

Mark Bradley of the AJC wrote a column today about his 5 greatest moments writing for the AJC - his #2 was Super Bowl 51 (28-3-does anybody not recognize that score?).  I really wonder if we might be able to forget about this or at least put it behind us so that it does not bother us.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradley/career-moments-coaching-michael-jordan-sid-sliding/7VfcRRlGISM3A3jhYDZT2H/

What is it going to take to truly get over it?

Beating Tom Brady twice this year and seeing him fade out of the NFL?

Seeing Belichick and the Patriots finally have a losing season(s)?

Having both Brady and Belichick (and other Pats? retire)?

Winning the Super Bowl ourselves-like the 1995 Braves did to erase the 1991 WS collapse?

Getting rid of Quinn and everything associated with him here?

Moving on from Ryan, Julio, Matthews, etc. and all players on that SB51 team?

Getting old and just not remembering things more than a year ago?

Oddly, we should be proud of the 2016-17 season as it was one of the greatest Falcons seasons ever but few ever want to discuss it because of its end - many only remember the ending and cannot remember a single thing that went well the weeks before that.

Are we past the denial stage in this city finally?

Realistically, nothing. Which isn't that big of a deal, since I don't watch the Falcons with as much intensity as I used to. It's very much just a game to me now.

Two SuperBowls would be a nice salve though. Even one. But might as well dream big when it doesn't seem likely to ever happen

Even if you win a Super Bowl, you still lost that one.  It'll always be there.

If it had been a back and forth struggle the whole game, and we lost in overtime...most people would be over it and it would have been a great season.  It's that we had it in the bag and frittered it away.  That's what makes it sting worse.

There is only one direction, which is forward.  May as well see what the new team's going to be like and get excited for them.  That season, that team, that game will never happen again.

Posted (edited)

28-3 has become a industry unto itself.  whether the game was fixed or the falcons collapsed, it was a fail on their part to be party to EITHER scenario...

They got 28-3 blankets and pillows for patroit fans to snuggle up with...

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSrg54aQ4r5p5ddT0F_fBZ6bLDWmL1UGbq6yw6l7-08jRLvR6YLXekWLRHOBRo&usqp=CAc

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQm9JVTCtpt2ile7QulKDt-NvHHKHF6L1RTBY1JrbrlPmQyrbB6tExEEeZqC9U&usqp=CAc

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ4LOkrYIyt8PUt6ssk6MH77pm6X60lHY2a1IAISupx6p64b5ENAb5RV4bxxgo&usqp=CAc

Edited by Spts1

Posted (edited)

My wound is healed. It's been healed for quite some time now.

I don't get why some people constantly poke and pick at their sores. Pulling at the scab and pushing out the puss. Always taking their bandage off to show you that they got a boo-boo.

I'm proud of all my scars.

Edited by ADAMSVILLE GYM

Getting Matt Ryan and Julio Jones a Superbowl win. Two of the best players of our generation deserve to win one. Julio Jones should have had the catch of the Super Bowl if not for idiotic coaching. 

My reaction to losing was muted by the fact that I had just had my first daughter. Holding her after the loss put things in perspective. With that said, it still haunts me.

The three things that hurt the worst are the following in order:

1. Idiotic coaching decisions
  2. Fortunate breaks for the Pats all game.
  3. Referees refusing to call penalties on the Patriots.
    1. Stephen White an ex-NFL player did a great breakdown of all the missed calls by the refs. It is a good read if you haven't read it yet.
    2. https://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/13/14562256/falcons-vs-patriots-super-bowl-win-outcoached-dan-quinn-kyle-shanahan

4 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

To answer the question directly.  Just winning ONE championship will make falcons fans forget 28-3.  Their fans are jaded because they feel the falcons will never win a Superbowl...

Their fans? I thought you were a Falcons fan also???

Just joking..........

......or am I :ninja:

Just winning a Super Bowl is enough. It'll all disappear after that. Just like you sulk over that girlfriend who broke your heart... until you find another and forget all about her. Didn't see one person even bring up 1998... it all fades eventually, but definitely after the big win

38 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Just winning a Super Bowl is enough. It'll all disappear after that. Just like you sulk over that girlfriend who broke your heart... until you find another and forget all about her. Didn't see one person even bring up 1998... it all fades eventually, but definitely after the big win

Yep, it would still be remembered but not as nearly as much if the Falcons win a SB or 2.

People mostly talk about the 2 SBs that John Elway and the Broncos won. They hardly ever talk about the 3 SBs they lost in a 4 year span now.

16 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Yep, it would still be remembered but not as nearly as much if the Falcons win a SB or 2.

People mostly talk about the 2 SBs that John Elway and the Broncos won. They hardly ever talk the 3 SBs they lost in a 4 year span now.

Was literally about to make that same point about the Broncos.

We always hear about the 6 SBs the Pats have won, but nobody points out that they've lost 5, too.

How about making it our trademark. I mean, everyone uses it to mock us. How about we step up on it, put it on our jersey to always remember it, not as a downfall, but as a motivation to always get up again and to never give up.. I love that team, and I love it's faults. Just imagine lifting up that lombardy trophy with a 28-3 on our jersey..