Pass Interference Replay is Dead!

15 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Because the media and fans made them gray. Dez caught it.... by rule, he didn’t 

That's really funny. Because we made them that way? Something comes to mind right now, but will keep it to myself. 

Yes, we asked that the NFL please swoop-in and save us from these gray PI and Reception rules, and to please make them even more gray. I see. This way of thinking is new to me, but beginning to catch on.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I may be in the minority but I'm glad this rule died!   I've been watching the NFL for many years and it seems the games were getting over-officiated.     

I like replay in general, but the pass interference replay felt a little wonky.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bunchy Carter said:

they HAD to make it feel wonky so that they could get rid of it...:lol:   the WWE, i mean NFL...  the XFL had no problems with it...:lol:

Edited by Spts1

Here are my thoughts.

Prior to replay, we had missed calls and pissed off fans.

With replay, we have longer games, more wasted time, missed calls, and pissed off fans.

Replay has not improved the quality of the game so get rid of it. We will have missed calls no matter what we do.

2 hours ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Only because the refs never wanted to admit they were wrong all these years and hosing teams lol.. There were plenty calls that shoulda been called but wevre so accustomed to them not being called, I don't think they wanted to open that can of worms. 

1 hour ago, Cheap Talk said:

That's really funny. Because we made them that way? Something comes to mind right now, but will keep it to myself. 

Yes, we asked that the NFL please swoop-in and save us from these gray PI and Reception rules, and to please make them even more gray. I see. This way of thinking is new to me, but beginning to catch on.

It's true though....

The Dez Bryant catch was simple...just like you said originally. The rules can be simple. 

Dez did NOT catch the football by NFL rule standards. Plain and simple. But, Cowboys fans and the media exploded about it as they FELT he did catch the ball. The reality is, it doesn't matter what they think. The rule is the rule...he lost possession of the ball when it hit the ground.

Result? Gray area.

17 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

It's true though....

The Dez Bryant catch was simple...just like you said originally. The rules can be simple. 

Dez did NOT catch the football by NFL rule standards. Plain and simple. But, Cowboys fans and the media exploded about it as they FELT he did catch the ball. The reality is, it doesn't matter what they think. The rule is the rule...he lost possession of the ball when it hit the ground.

Result? Gray area.

Sometimes the people can be lead to believe that they are the ones forcing changed, when in reality they are playing into the hands of something else. 

The NFL knows what they are doing. Yes, the Dallas Cowboy Fans made me do it! Right. 

One thing we both agree on, these rules can and should be made as simple as possible, and the truth is they can be. This is a great game and lends itself to simplicity. When things get to be the ridiculous way they are now, to where it requires the interpretation of one person in the whole country, then something is beginning to smell really bad. And, now this, the PI replay has been removed. They not only have confusing/complicated/duplicitous/ambiguous and confounded rules, but there is now no way to question calls during the game.  

14 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Sometimes the people can be lead to believe that they are the ones forcing changed, when in reality they are playing into the hands of something else. 

The NFL knows what they are doing. Yes, the Dallas Cowboy Fans made me do it! Right. 

One thing we both agree on, these rules can and should be made as simple as possible, and the truth is they can be. This is a great game and lends itself to simplicity. When things get to be the ridiculous way they are now, to where it requires the interpretation of one person in the whole country, then something is beginning to smell really bad. And, now this, the PI replay has been removed. They not only have confusing/complicated/duplicitous/ambiguous and confounded rules, but there is now no way to question calls during the game.  

Why do you think the league tested PI review in the first place?

It needs to be the college system, period. Everything minus the targeting replays is spot on in college football. Its a 3rd party booth that isnt biased from the field level (so no egos), no coaches yelling and screaming to sway the decision before and after,  and no stupid challenge flags to have to strategize over throughout the game. All questionable calls get reviewed no matter what.

All coaches and fans are happy in college football. There are no cries of bad calls or unfair replay results.

I dont know why this is so hard for the NFL to adopt. 

38 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

EXACTLY... they don't want the scrutiny, so they purposely made the whole affair a big mess.   These are BILLIONAIRES.  You think they can't make a simple rule work? :lol:

3 hours ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Just get rid of replay in general. I don't think it has helped the game like people think it has.

Refs are human and will make mistakes. Replay slows the game down and adds even more confusion as you watch plays in super slow motion. I hate having to hold my breath after every big catch to ensure it won't be reviewed and possibly overturned. It has taken out some of the excitement in sports.

You literally just gave conflicting arguments in your own statement. You claim it's taken excitement out of sports, however you say you're holding your breath on every big catch waiting to see if it gets overturned.

You can't have it both ways. Either it's exciting or it isn't. Holding your breath in anticipation is excitement. 

4 hours ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Just get rid of replay in general. I don't think it has helped the game like people think it has.

Refs are human and will make mistakes. Replay slows the game down and adds even more confusion as you watch plays in super slow motion. I hate having to hold my breath after every big catch to ensure it won't be reviewed and possibly overturned. It has taken out some of the excitement in sports.

Julio Jones would like a word with you sir!

48 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Why do you think the league tested PI review in the first place?

They had no choice. They were caught red-handed with New Orleans fiasco.

They put their worst-effort forward to try it for one season, and then declare it did not work. Now everyone, except New Orleans Fans, have forgotten about the play that precipitated it.

6 hours ago, The Great American said:

I may be in the minority but I'm glad this rule died!   I've been watching the NFL for many years and it seems the games were getting over-officiated.     

I agree.  One bad call in one game is not a reason to make a new rule, that's what they did, and that's one if several reasons that it had no chance to work. Glad it's gone.

10 hours ago, The Great American said:

I'm glad it's dead too because the NFL refused to overturn non-PI calls so it was just a waste.

10 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

When you miss a call, have a coach challenge it, you go watch the review that everyone can clearly see what happened and you come out and STILL get it wrong, why would you need to even waist my time and emotions!!? 

I would way more prefer to chalk it up to a honestly missed call than that! 

I wish it was like the college system. In college every play is reviewed and play is only stopped if the play in question is close enough to require a second look. I like that better than coaches having to risk a timeout because the officials screwed up. That always seemed so unfair to me.