Pass Interference Replay is Dead!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I may be in the minority but I'm glad this rule died!   I've been watching the NFL for many years and it seems the games were getting over-officiated.     

I like replay in general, but the pass interference replay felt a little wonky.

Just get rid of replay in general. I don't think it has helped the game like people think it has.

Refs are human and will make mistakes. Replay slows the game down and adds even more confusion as you watch plays in super slow motion. I hate having to hold my breath after every big catch to ensure it won't be reviewed and possibly overturned. It has taken out some of the excitement in sports.

1 minute ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Just get rid of replay in general. I don't think it has helped the game like people think it has.

When you miss a call, have a coach challenge it, you go watch the review that everyone can clearly see what happened and you come out and STILL get it wrong, why would you need to even waist my time and emotions!!? 

I would way more prefer to chalk it up to a honestly missed call than that! 

9 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Refs are human and will make mistakes. Replay slows the game down and adds even more confusion as you watch plays in super slow motion. I hate having to hold my breath after every big catch to ensure it won't be reviewed and possibly overturned. It has taken out some of the excitement in sports.

Jus t write an AI algorithm for it. It can review the angles and make a decision in a millisecond

5 minutes ago, Emmitt said:

The refs never wanted to admit they missed a call. If they would have been honest about the review, it would have been a great process, but there was too much covering up for the ref brotherhood.

All sports officiating in every sport could use supervisory overhauls and remove the politics from them. 

This doesn’t mean you wouldn’t see missed calls, that’s gonna happen, but what would change is the way they apply the rules game in, game out.

No surprise here..........see many saying it did not work anyway. Well, here to tell you it was not intended to work. NFL was never going to let this practice stand, exposing what they do and how they want a game called. 

So, they never wanted you to like it, or think it was worthwhile having around.

25 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

When you miss a call, have a coach challenge it, you go watch the review that everyone can clearly see what happened and you come out and STILL get it wrong, why would you need to even waist my time and emotions!!? 

This

17 minutes ago, Emmitt said:

The refs never wanted to admit they missed a call. If they would have been honest about the review, it would have been a great process, but there was too much covering up for the ref brotherhood.

I don't think that's true. It was not about the refs not wanting to admit anything or not. It's the rule. The rule on replay says there must be CLEAR visual evidence to overturn a call. And that's the problem with pass interference. It's very gray. You simply can't say "he CLEARLY didn't foul him" or the other way around. The only example that works is the Saints and Rams game. Otherwise, it's always gray and you ultimately have to go with the original call on the field. 

People forget that the officials follow rules and it's often the rules that need to be looked at. Not the officials themselves. Good example is the tuck rule game. The officials were called blind idiots. In actuality, they were following a bad rule. 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I don't think that's true. It was not about the refs not wanting to admit anything or not. It's the rule. The rule on replay says there must be CLEAR visual evidence to overturn a call. And that's the problem with pass interference. It's very gray. You simply can't say "he CLEARLY didn't foul him" or the other way around. The only example that works is the Saints and Rams game. Otherwise, it's always gray and you ultimately have to go with the original call on the field. 

People forget that the officials follow rules and it's often the rules that need to be looked at. Not the officials themselves.

I think that it was the Eagles game last year and Julio was mugged ( as usual) and it was clear as day that it was PI....yet the challenge was not successful.

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I think that it was the Eagles game last year and Julio was mugged ( as usual) and it was clear as day that it was PI....yet the challenge was not successful.

Yes but I still don't believe this was due to the officials simply "not wanting to be wrong." I think they saw something we simply just didn't see. 

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

People forget that the officials follow rules and it's often the rules that need to be looked at. Not the officials themselves.

Why are the rules for PI "very gray"? They do not have to be, just like making a catch does not have to be. 

These could be the simplest rules on the books. Ever wonder why they were made so complicated?

9 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yes but I still don't believe this was due to the officials simply "not wanting to be wrong." I think they saw something we simply just didn't see. 

Ehh have to disagree.

There were clear as day calls that did not get overturned that should have.

I agree about the subjective part but at the end of the day, I think admitting that they made obvious mistakes is some how frowned upon.

14 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

That one, Richard Sherman in 2016. Roddy White in the last full drive in the NFC championship game against SF. I could go on.

13 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Nah, the reason rules as a whole aren’t applied correctly is partly due to perceptions of officials in the officiating community as well as the players they are ruling on. 

If they truly applied the “a foul is a foul” no matter the application of the rules would noticeably change as a whole. 

20 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Why are the rules for PI "very gray"? They do not have to be, just like making a catch does not have to be. 

These could be the simplest rules on the books. Ever wonder why they were made so complicated?

Because the media and fans made them gray. Dez caught it.... by rule, he didn’t