Film Study: Was trading for Hayden Hurst the right move for the Atlanta Falcons?

2 hours ago, Des-pool said:

But he is a good blocker. And no, we have have had a hall Of game tight end and have had ok time passable tight ends, it’s a huge difference. Hooper just got 12 million a year for being a “good” tight end. A tight end that can block and catch AND stretch the defense doesn’t grow on trees. This was better than we could have done drafting a tight end.

You misread me.  I like the Hayden signing.  My point is Hooper wasn't worth breaking the bank for...

Hooper's greatest asset was his hands. He was slow, wasn't someone who was going to win man on man matchups, but he was a sure fire completion when he found the hole in the zone. 

Hurst has one career drop, and is without a doubt more athletic and agile than Hooper. It isn't going to surprise me at if he finishes with more yards and TDs than Hooper. 

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Correction: A RBBC RB.

Thanks for correcting, but I’m just quoting what the Saints fan said. Regardless, I liked Dobbins and was pretty vocal on that, but we wouldn’t be better off with a 5th RB and Graham at TE. 

I don't know why everyone turned on Hooper the second that he earned that big contract. Dude was really good for us. Helped us get to the Super Bowl. He was also really talented at finding the soft spot in a defense and did have very solid hands. He also worked his butt off to build chemistry with Matty. I think we're going to miss him. 

I am very hopeful for Hurst though. Looks very fast and like he's got good hands. I just hope he can build that chemistry and run as good of routes as Hoop.

8 minutes ago, ATLskinjob said:

I don't know why everyone turned on Hooper the second that he earned that big contract. Dude was really good for us. Helped us get to the Super Bowl. He was also really talented at finding the soft spot in a defense and did have very solid hands. He also worked his butt off to build chemistry with Matty. I think we're going to miss him. 

I am very hopeful for Hurst though. Looks very fast and like he's got good hands. I just hope he can build that chemistry and run as good of routes as Hoop.

Dont think anyone who actually liked him turned on him. 

His rookie year wasn't that spectacular and he didn't play a huge role in the super bowl run as you make it seem. 

Hands very reliable. 

Hurst already said he would do the same to hold chemistry with Matt. 

Hurst will be amazing and will earn a nice contract as well

6 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Tight ends are a dime a dozen now because they don't block nearly as much as they traditionally have.  Just get a big guy who can run and catch a little bit and boom, you have a tight end.  Thats why Hooper was let go.  EASILY replaced...

Naw thats just hooper who REFUSED to block. 

This is the least of any moves I second guessed over the offseason. Once we decided to move on from Hooper there was no way this team was going to pin its fortunes on Graham. There wasn’t a TE in the draft that was ready to start either so in hindsight we got lucky to get a starting caliber TE in Hurst. I feel like Hayden will excel in our passing scheme and make believers out of the doubters by mid season.

5 hours ago, Des-pool said:

We basically traded Sanu for a former first round tight end and a move up from 5th round to 4th round. It was a real good deal for us...

And they didn't have to break the bank.  Tight Ends are like running backs now.  Teams don't want to pay them because they are easily replaced because of the spread offenses...