Technique here ladies and gentleman head outside the centreline target below the waist and hit with the shoulder finishing with the wrap up.

Don’t matter how big they are with correct technique the ball carrier for the most part goes to the deck.

Not a hint of pads or helmets insight.

Welcome to the world of learning how to tackle correctly.

Your welcome.

16 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Bryan Poole is the best I’ve seen with the Falcons the last few years technique wise.

Debos pretty decent.

Rico is better than both. Debo misses alot of tackles, and poole sometimes went for the kill shot and missed the tackle. 

57 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

my personal favorite guy to watch tackle is von miller. Dude has this motion where he'll grab the ball carrier by the waist and actually spin to get the guy off his feet. Something about Von bringing down a QB that reminds me of a lion tackling a gazelle on the Serengeti. It's wild.

Yes, but it is not the best way to tackle - kiwi is correct about the correct form to use

Edited by ukdangerous
more words
7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Technique here ladies and gentleman head outside the centreline target below the waste and hit with the shoulder finishing with the wrap up.

Don’t matter how big they are with correct technique the ball carrier for the most part goes to the deck.

Your welcome.

Football is a game of inches, rugby isn’t.  Tackling low allows players to get a few extra yards

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Football is a game of inches, rugby isn’t.  Tackling low allows players to get a few extra yards

This might not be the technique for an MLB in the hole.

But it's still best for corners, safeties, etc. as head up tackling is far more likely to end in missed tackles.  You wrap the legs and they're not going anywhere.

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Sorry 2012 I don’t agree with this at all tackling is about putting the guy on the ground.The issue I’ve had with this sport is the actual technique you and what seems like every other person growing up with this sport hasn’t a clue actually how to perform this skill.

As you can see how it’s explained how a little man can put a big guy on the ground with many different techniques from many different angles side in front whatever.To me this is the issue and why for the most part tackling is something fans always complain about.

Like coaching I’ve been banging on about this sought of stuff for years as I’ve lived breathed and played a fair portion of my life around it.

Inchs you say in the opening minute of this video you saw a very slight guy who must weigh 80-85 kilos stopping a guy who was 130 kilos from scoring a try if that’s not inch’s I don’t know what is.

Check between the 55 sec to 1-min 5 sec. mark for thee above.Damien McKenzie is that small guys name dropping  Nemani Nandolo 130 kg.

You imagine if DBs tackle like that guys nie on a 100 lbs difference in weight and drop them with correct technique you think fans would be complaining about tackling.

Issue is the skill has been taught wrong from the jump that’s thee issue and here in lies why the skill is crap through almost every level of football I’ve watched every level.

I think folks have to ask themselves how many pro practices have they attended and  big time college practices. I am not talking training camp stuff. One of the problems with tackling especially at the highest level is that its not worked daily. More emphasis on game planning has taking over the whole practice. There is no more tackling periods and if there are I did not see it when I attended in person falcons practices during the season as well as the UGA. Tackling is a skill that should be worked daily and not just to fill in time. Even in college they dont do it that often. They should be working shoulder and gator tackling everyday.

8 hours ago, Kayoh said:

my personal favorite guy to watch tackle is von miller. Dude has this motion where he'll grab the ball carrier by the waist and actually spin to get the guy off his feet. Something about Von bringing down a QB that reminds me of a lion tackling a gazelle on the Serengeti. It's wild.

I wouldn’t teach that at all.

Anything that has the arms going first in a grabbing motion or anything of the soughts isn’t it for me.You need to teach simple habits getting your legs under you leading with the shoulder and head outside the centreline finishing with the arms in a wrapping motion.

Always shoulder first.I guarantee you if you hit anywhere below the waist with the shoulder first 9/10 the player with the ball goes down.

8 hours ago, Kayoh said:

It’s like a modified version of the gator roll 

5 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

I think folks have to ask themselves how many pro practices have they attended and  big time college practices. I am not talking training camp stuff. One of the problems with tackling especially at the highest level is that its not worked daily. More emphasis on game planning has taking over the whole practice. There is no more tackling periods and if there are I did not see it when I attended in person falcons practices during the season as well as the UGA. Tackling is a skill that should be worked daily and not just to fill in time. Even in college they dont do it that often. They should be working shoulder and gator tackling everyday.

That’s what I’m baffled about with the new CBA they say one padded practice a day.Practicing this skill you’d be better off doing it without the pads anyway and you can do plenty of drills practicing correct technique with tackling bags.**** that’s what we do when we are first learning the skill with kids use the bags and dress people up in padded suits to practice the skill.

9 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Technique here ladies and gentleman head outside the centreline target below the waste and hit with the shoulder finishing with the wrap up.

Your welcome.

I seem to remember DQ going through a Rugby tackling drill during his first year with the team.  Problem is technique seems to go out the door during the games.

9 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I wouldn’t teach that at all.

Anything that has the arms going first in a grabbing motion or anything of the soughts isn’t it for me.You need to teach simple habits getting your legs under you leading with the shoulder and head outside the centreline finishing with the arms in a wrapping motion.

Always shoulder first.I guarantee you if you hit anywhere below the waist with the shoulder first 9/10 the player with the ball goes down.

This is how I was taught in high school. Engage with your head outside then use your body weight.

Edited by ShmevinShmarris
Just now, kiwifalcon said:

That’s what I baffled about with the new CBA they say one padded practice a day.Practicing this skill you’d be better off doing it without the pads anyway and you can do plenty of drills practicing correct technique with tackling bags.**** that’s what we do when we are first learning the skill with kids use the bags and dress people up in padded suits to practice the skill.

I start my practices off daily with tackling circuit after a team tackling drill. No matter if its an offensive day or not. FIT em up and work it. 15 mins a day is all they need. I just think the scheme as well as install for the week takes precedent over tackling. in the league and big time college football. got to win first

Just now, ShmevinShmarris said:

This is how I was taught in high school. Engage with your head outside then use your body weight.

yes this was pete version of the gator or roll tackle concept. Problem is this is going away now. Was a huge trend and now its kinda of forgotting. I teach both.

on a side note what I have seen with the hawk tackle is kids are thinking too much once its time to tackle in a game.

2 minutes ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

See how he stops and rolls the ball carrier I wouldn’t teach that.

Now I’m not saying it’s right or wrong BUT.

I’d teach the shoulder part of it like a boxing punch don’t stop at the target aim to go 6’s behind the target so instead of stopping your momentum like he’s doing here with the catch and roll part look to drive your shoulder through the guys hips knocking him on his *** instead of rolling.

Different and the impact is heavier.

34 minutes ago, UGABOZ said:

yes this was pete version of the gator or roll tackle concept. Problem is this is going away now. Was a huge trend and now its kinda of forgotting. I teach both.

on a side note what I have seen with the hawk tackle is kids are thinking too much once its time to tackle in a game.

We teach different techniques and demand this and that, but at the end of the day our kids will tackle how they want. As coaches, it’s our job to show them how to do it safely. 

If you consistently bring the ball carrier down, and do it safely, I’m good.

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

See how he stops and rolls the ball carrier I wouldn’t teach that.

Now I’m not saying it’s right or wrong BUT.

I’d teach the shoulder part of it like a boxing punch don’t stop at the target aim to go 6’s behind the target so instead of stopping your momentum like he’s doing here with the catch and roll part look to drive your shoulder through the guys hips knocking him on his *** instead of rolling.

Different and the impact is heavier.

https://youtu.be/6Pb_B0c19xA

It’s hard to gauge the effectiveness through a drill video. I posted the first one because it showed multiple angles of what is looked for

Edited by ShmevinShmarris
2 hours ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

We teach different techniques and demand this and that, but at the end of the day our kids will tackle how they want. As coaches, it’s our job to show them how to do it safely. 

If you consistently bring the ball carrier down, and do it safely, I’m good.

great point!