Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gazoo

Tampa Bay's $25 Mill Chunk of Fools Gold and why Marlon Davidson will expose it

I see many are worried about Tom Brady entering the division.  I believe the Bucs just paid $25 Mill for a big chunk of fool's gold.   

Brady had the best situation possible in New England all those years. He had HC Belichick, but he also had an under the radar phenomenal assistant head coach/OL coach Dante Scarnecchia all but two of his seasons (2013/2014) when you'll see the Patriots offenses dominance took a modest dip from the years before and after.  Scarnecchia retired this offseason, but this is just as big a loss to Brady and Belichick was.

The brilliance of Belichick cannot be understated as far as being able to watch film on an opponent and rattle of each players strengths and weaknesses on both sides of ball as if he was coaching them all year.  Then, to take this ability and scheme against the opponent was second to none in the history of the NFL in my opinion. But Scarnecchia helped Brady BIGTIME as well. This help is gone, and I don't think Arians will scheme around Brady's Achilles heel like BB did. 

Scarnecchia and Belichick knew Brady had to have a clean pocket to dominate, especially in his later years.  Scarnecchia taught pass protection technique to where his interior OL would hold and release just before flags were thrown and ball was already in the air. It was very subtle, but extremely effective in keeping the pocket clean for Brady. 

Brady's Achilles heel that has increased as each year goes by is if you ,dirty his pocket in any way, even with hands or pushing his interoir OL back so he can't step and throw it renders him average.  If you watch the film, he has these really long arms, and when he steps up into pocket, he throws in a downward tomahawk chop motion, over the DL and toward the ground where only his diminutive receivers running crossing patterns can catch it. If the ball isn't caught, it hits the ground limiting bobbles and tipped balls being intercepted. This has been the Patriots bread and butter play for years and why Belichick always finds these little slot receivers. You'll also notice Belichick over the past 4 years hasn't invested in speeding long WRs.  Fans think this is why Brady's stats as far as yards per pass plummeted, no speed WRs. Its just the opposite actually. Belichick didn't bother investing recources in premium speed WRs Because he knew Brady's arm was losing its strength.  I know he went after AB, but that was about it.

But let this be known, if Brady cannot step up into his pocket, his great WRs in Tampa will be of little help in Arians deep passing game. Brady's arm is all but shot for the deep ball.  Winston could hit deep passes while backing up, but Brady HAS to step into his throw to get it deep downfield.  At 43 years old,  Brady may come out of the gate slinging it, but as the season wears on his arm will wear down. If you take his pocket away, it will be non-existent. Same with Gronk, he has had some nasty injuries. I never thought he'd come back from that brutal knee injury that bent his knee back at about a 40 degree angle. Then, his nagging back issues. He's lot a big step.  We may see his play decline as season wears on as well. He should still be a punishing run blocker.

This is where Davidson comes in. You HAVE to get interior push and disruption from the DTs. With Grady and Davidson (and quite possibly Cominsky) , especially the way Davidson uses his hands, Brady is going to have some issues stepping up into his throws. If you get him out of the pocket he gets spooked. If you hit him enough he becomes pedestrian. He HATES getting hit. Davidson is built just like Rod Coleman in his upper body and uses his massive frame, arms and hands same way. Punching, chopping, violent motions that keep OLs hands from getting up under his pads and reach over and through OL. He also gets those arms out to make plays, so he'll have them in the pocket slapping at the ball frustrating Brady. Playing next to Grady he's going to get some chances. 

Brady no longer has Scarnecchia to  help keep defenders off him and to keep defenders out of his pocket. He no longer has Belichick to scheme to protect him.   Brady needs to learn a new scheme for first time in his career, and he knows none of the players yet,  no offseason to get timing down. shortened preseason if any. He also has Arians vertical offense with a lot of 5 step drops. Unless Arians makes some big adjustments, Brady is going to have trouble later in the year. Once DCs see this Achilles heel, Brady is going to get hit, a lot.  His deep weapons won't be near as helpful as the season wears on.  Arians doesnt use his TEs much, but if Brady starts favoring Gronk to keep from getting hit those talents WRs on the edge may get upset.

This thing might look good on paper to many of you, but they play the game on the field and there are an awful lot of question marks I see if the Bucs are going to be any better than they  were last year..

He isn't going to throw 30 pics. As long as his arm doesn't fall off they are going to do well. Remember last year he looked amazing for the first half of the season and looked his age come the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, Jesus said:

He isn't going to throw 30 pics. As long as his arm doesn't fall off they are going to do well. Remember last year he looked amazing for the first half of the season and looked his age come the playoffs.

And it was largely via short passes. His yards per throw average were lowest of his career. 

Arians offense is a vertical passing game. As you mentioned Brady’s arm wearing down last year drinking and dunking, just wait until he’s asked to throw it deep several times a game. I do t see Arians making an adjustment to accommodate Brady’s vulnerabilities like BB and Scarnecchia did.

5 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Plus his OL sucked

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

And it was largely via short passes.

Arians offense is a vertical passing game. As you mentioned Brady’s arm wearing down last year drinking and dunking, just wait until he’s asked to throw it deep several times a game. I do t see Arians making an adjustment to accommodate Brady’s vulnerabilities like BB and Scarnecchia did.

Not saying they’ll win the division but you can bet your sweet asz they’re going to be in the hunt down the stretch. Roster is pretty loaded. The NFCS are going to beat the crap out of each other.

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

And it was largely via short passes.

I guess we will (maybe) see this year. Arians is a smart offensive mind. He wanted Brady from the start of the offseason. He had to have something in mind for him. 

3 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Plus his OL sucked

Did the line suck or was he just holding the ball too long because of the deep throw offense. This year will tell us a few things:

Is Tampa's line that bad or was Winston just not good enough back there?
When he takes over for an injured Brees this year , will Winston struggle in that offense while he looks for the big play?

35 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I dont think anyone is worried about Brady entering the division. For the most we've pointed out that hes an improvement over Winston. 

I'm more worried if the season gonna take place 

Posted (edited)

I think the OL was pretty bad in NE last yr...don’t remember exactly I  was thinking one OL hit FA and another got hurt.

TB line was average to me....JW just makes dumb plays but is sooo talented

If JW ever gets his act together...look out...he’s. Big strong mobile and can make all the throws plus the stupid ones 

Edited by Atl Falcon

And it’s the same in NO and if you put the puzzle together it’s why we want our DBs to affect routes inside the first 5 yards fully knowing that the mentioned aren’t as effective consistently to go down town.

This leaves the flats and the seams.Safety play could well dictate how well this defense plays.

1 minute ago, Atl Falcon said:

It’s going to happen but prolly some of the season played with empty stadiums

I see almost no chance of there being no NFL season. Abbreviated, yes. This is also to our advantage. Ryan knows his offense, assistant coaches, and the playmakers on offense except for Hurst.  Huge advantage.

Brady is going to know none of them. None of the coaches,  one of the players, the assistants, he’ll have had no time to develop any chemistry with any of them or get their timing down. 

I see 1 preseason game, maybe a 13 game season if it is shortened. Stadiums can check people’s temps outside and not let ticket holders over 70 in as they would be high risk group if they have any fans in stands.

19 minutes ago, gazoo said:

And it was largely via short passes. His yards per throw average were lowest of his career. 

That’s what scares me. The passes that are short and we refuse to do anything about. 3-3-4, 4-4-3...etc 1st down over and over. Time off the clock.

Arians will play time Brady’s strengths.

11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

That’s what scares me. The passes that are short and we refuse to do anything about. 3-3-4, 4-4-3...etc 1st down over and over. Time off the clock.

Arians will play time Brady’s strengths.

This is where the interior pressure comes in. If you can’t dirty the pocket, you can’t stop that. No amount of edge heat stops Brady, the have to take his pocket away. Either push his OL back so he can’t step up, get anything you can into the pocket to force him to shift sideways or back and he starts seeing ghosts. He hates getting hit as well.

Its hard for me to think Arians will not include  those stud WRs on the vertical routes he’s famous for. But Brady’s arm will be dead by mid season if he’s asked to throw deep a lot. 

Interior pocket pressure is the key, it takes everything Brady still does well away. Need Davidson and Cominsky to step up at DT.

7 minutes ago, gazoo said:

This is where the interior pressure comes in. If you can’t dirty the pocket, you can’t stop that. No amount of edge heat stops Brady, the have to take his pocket away. Either push his OL back so he can’t step up, get anything you can into the pocket to force him to shift sideways or back and he starts seeing ghosts. He hates getting hit as well.

Its hard for me to think Arians will not include  those stud WRs on the vertical routes he’s famous for. But Brady’s arm will be dead by mid season if he’s asked to throw deep a lot. 

Interior pocket pressure is the key, it takes everything Brady still does well away. Need Davidson and Cominsky to step up at DT.

For one half of a super bowl that's exactly what Grady did. But he couldn't do it alone.

8 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Uh huh

We played the Bucs twice during the part of the season that we were playing our absolute best. And if they hit just 1of their 5 missed FGAs in week 17, we get swept by them, even with Winston at QB.

Im not scared of Brady, but its foolish not to respect them as an opponent even before they went all in this offseason. They are a young, talented and dangerous team, believe that.

1) Tom Brady is good and motivated. 
2) He has a ton of weapons 
3) Their defense is up and coming 

4) We aren’t good

if you’re not worried, you going to be very surprised and disappointed  come week 1 on MNF (if the leak is accurate of course)