Now that the draft is done and FA for the most part is coming to a close, I begin to look at our players a little more closely.

Are you guys 100% confident in Younghoe Koo as our everyday kicker? I have a few reservations that I would like to share, but hopefully you can make me feel better about the situation.

Stats:

15/16 from 20-39 yards

7/9 from 40-49 (8/13 lifetime)

1/1 from 50+ , 1 missed extra point 

54% touchbacks 

I have complete faith in him from close range, I really do. I'm a little scared about anything from 40 yards and beyond. I'm thinking that Sterling Hofrichter may have been drafted, not only for punting, but also kickoffs and 50+ yard FG. Would actually make more sense why we took a punter in the 7th. 

3 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

You don't have one kicker for long range and one for short. If Hof is going to be our kicker, he's going to be the only one. 

That being said, I doubt that's going to be the case. The best kickers in college flop all the time in the NFL, I doubt we're placing any hopes on drafting a punter to be our kicker.

Koo only ever attempted 1 FG over 50 yards lifetime. Maybe he can consistently knock them through. I just wanted to point out that Hofrichter was 3/4 from 50+ yards in college 

Don't see much reason to think Hofrichter would be kicking FGs for us, of the 49 games he played in college he only had 4 FGAs, and only one kick from 52 which he made. He did however miss go 2/3 in 2017 with 38 being the longest attempt. 

So we'd definitely go back to the free agent pool if we weren't happy with Koo. 

1 minute ago, Mister pudding said:

Koo only ever attempted 1 FG over 50 yards lifetime. Maybe he can consistently knock them through. I just wanted to point out that Hofrichter was 3/4 from 50+ yards in college 

He only kicked one 50+ yarder college. He was 1/2 against Connecticut State with the longest kick in that game being 27 yards. He made a 38 yarder against NC State that year as well, but never kicked a FG again until 2019 where he made one for 52 yards.

I think Matt Bryant spoiled us all!  For many years he was "Mr. Automatic".  May be hard to replace that.  And I'm not completely sold on Koo, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, until he starts screwing up!  At least we now have a couple of guys who can push each other --- and may the best man Win!!! 

25 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

You don't have one kicker for long range and one for short. If Hof is going to be our kicker, he's going to be the only one. 

That being said, I doubt that's going to be the case. The best kickers in college flop all the time in the NFL, I doubt we're placing any hopes on drafting a punter to be our kicker.

Oh really?

2006 and 2007 - Morton Anderson was our placekicker and for 2 years we used Koennen as our 50+ yard kicker because Anderson didn't have the leg anymore. So it can and does happen 

6 minutes ago, Jesus said:

He was erratic when he came on board for the first few games. Then as the season went on his kicks got straighter and cleaner. NFL coaching went a long way to helping him.

Also 

2 X ST player of the week
The best onsides kicker in the league.

That still of Payton. :lol:

It seemed Tavecchio was a lock to be our kicker last year but was gone in a heartbeat (never heard from again anywhere?).

I am fine with Koo and there really is nobody around challenging him.  His real specialty seemed to be on-sides kicks, so assuming Hofrichter does standard kickoffs, if Koo ever does come out to do a kickoff, the opposing team can almost conclude it will be an on-sides kick?

I also am fine with Hofrichter kicking 50+ yard FG's but it will need to be a real firm boundary to avoid problems.  If we are losing 27-26 with seconds to go, the right kicker will need to know to come on the field. 

Plus, we cannot sometimes have Koo kicking 51-yarders or Hofrichter sometimes kicking 49-yarders as the other guy might get the wrong signal that the staff is not confident in him.

Edited by jlrfalcon
1 hour ago, Mister pudding said:

Could potentially be like Koenen. He kicked a few of the longer field goals and Mort locked down the short. It's no t unheard of and we might actually see it if we need something in the 55+ range at the end of a half.

10 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

^ What he said. Me thinks if he does good first game or two = confidence and wins most important head game between the ears

I'm not saying his job is on the line. I'm not even talking about confidence or accuracy. The question is, does he have the leg to kick 50+ yard FGs? This has not been tested to date. Look at his touchback %