Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BamaBirdLady

College Football Will Return!

I am going to keep thinking positive about college football returning this fall.

My son is in the Million Dollar Band at Alabama and get an email from director telling the members to be prepared to arrive on campus August 3rd to begin their 2 weeks of band camp. I think that sounds pretty positive and I am planning on the season starting on time!

Roll Tide and Go Dawgs!!

I think there is too much money, too much of an economic boost at this point, for them to consider canceling football unless the numbers fail to stabilize with herd immunity kicking in and we see the number of new infections start to skyrocket again. Right now I think we will definitely have a football season. But I'm also feeling pretty sure that it will be shortened.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:41 AM, Unknøwn said:

Mark Emmert said if students arent on campus then fall sports will likely be canceled. 

From everything I have heard as a parent sending 2 kids off to college, they are planning to have students on campus in August.

My daughter will be  going thru rush and all those plans are moving forward.  Like I said, the message from the band director to my son and us parents got an email from University saying that parents need to plan to have their students on campus.

To me, it all sounds positive!

Now, just think what would happen to the universities if they didn't open in the fall! The amount of revenue that they would lose would be awful. I know as a parent, I would not be paying the cost of on campus tuition if they are planning on taking the whole semester online, they would lose housing revenue, food plan revenue, and for some schools the cash cow, football. They will do everything possible to get these schools open!

Man I hope so, think the whole country needs to get some normal back, soon!! That said there will likely be states and universities resistant to opening too early even if it is just being overly cautious.

I heard this morning that Alabama has canceled it's opening game with USC at Jerry's World on September 5th. The state of California has pretty much said it will not be having sports in the fall because there will not be students on the campus in the fall.

TCU was scheduled to play Cal on that same day. So now Alabama will play TCU on September 5th.

Sounds like the SEC and the Big 12 are moving forward as if college football will be played!

7 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I heard this morning that Alabama has canceled it's opening game with USC at Jerry's World on September 5th. The state of California has pretty much said it will not be having sports in the fall because there will not be students on the campus in the fall.

TCU was scheduled to play Cal on that same day. So now Alabama will play TCU on September 5th.

Sounds like the SEC and the Big 12 are moving forward as if college football will be played!

Emmert cleared it up a bit. He said pretty much all the conferences agree. They dont need fully open campuses, just some form of a semester happening. He added that schools not open will just not have sports. So some scrambling for scheduling may happen but the landscape in college football might be significantly different this year. 

2 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Emmert cleared it up a bit. He said pretty much all the conferences agree. They dont need fully open campuses, just some form of a semester happening. He added that schools not open will just not have sports. So some scrambling for scheduling may happen but the landscape in college football might be significantly different this year. 

Right, I think the steps taken by Bama and TCU are the perfect example of the changes taking place. I think that we will see more of this as teams look at their schedules.

USC and Alabama people have come out and said they still expect the game to happen and I hope so. I always enjoy Alabama playing teams like USC, Penn State, Texas, etc. 

Hope to see Alabama get a few home and homes with some Pac 12 teams soon. Namely USC, Oregon, or Washington. I also wouldn't be opposed to one with Boise State

On 5/11/2020 at 10:23 PM, putnam6 said:

Man I hope so, think the whole country needs to get some normal back, soon!! That said there will likely be states and universities resistant to opening too early even if it is just being overly cautious.

Nothing is going back to normal ...normal is no more...I wanna say I doubt we get sports and if so it seem like a disaster in the making

17 hours ago, tl;dr said:

USC and Alabama people have come out and said they still expect the game to happen and I hope so. I always enjoy Alabama playing teams like USC, Penn State, Texas, etc. 

Hope to see Alabama get a few home and homes with some Pac 12 teams soon. Namely USC, Oregon, or Washington. I also wouldn't be opposed to one with Boise State

I am hearing a different thing, but that's ok.

California Governor has extended the shelter in place for another 3 months. Not sure how the team could be ready to play if they can't even practice.

I guess we will all have to wait and see as we have with every other thing regarding this virus.

1 hour ago, BamaBirdLady said:

California Governor has extended the shelter in place for another 3 months. Not sure how the team could be ready to play if they can't even practice.

I guess we will all have to wait and see as we have with every other thing regarding this virus.

Well we know Fresno State, San Jose State and San Diego St will likely miss this season. Cal State already announced their system will not open in the fall. The U of California will probably follow that. The remaining Pac 12 might end up needing a lot of games to fill.

4 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I'm just repeating what both school's ADs have said. Some of that is probably just not to rock the boat though.

12 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I'm just repeating what both school's ADs have said. Some of that is probably just not to rock the boat though.

Yea, I am just repeating what my son has heard from the MDB.

No big deal, we will find out soon enough!

I think this whole thing is because their governor extended the shelter in place anyway.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/akron-eliminates-three-sports-programs-for-financial-reasons-amid-covid-19-crisis/

Unfortunately, if we don't get CFB, I wouldn't be shocked to see more stories like this. Most ADs around the country operate at a loss, but football is the one sport that can some what offset that. I'm not saying that football has to be played, but no CFB will certainly have ramifications. It really is a ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't situation in some ways. 

I saw someone bring up Title IX with this as well. I am far from a politician or legal expert, but I wonder what would happen if football couldn't be played. I won't get into the specifics (mainly because I don't know enough to discuss it), but that could be a messy situation.