Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DonOfThemBirds

Don Shula dies at 90

20 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

The most winningest HC in NFL history is now gone. I wonder how many are left from that undefeated 72' Dolphins SB team?

I know this isn't Falcons news but this is a huge death for the NFL and sports altogether.

Met him at the SunDial restaurant in ATL back in 90’s. - he was in town for the SB.   Class Personified

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Met him at the SunDial restaurant in ATL back in 90’s. - he was in town for the SB.   Class Personified

Wow, I always wanted to meet someone of Shula's status. I'm sure it was a great moment for you.

He was considered the greatest head coach of all time before Belichick's success with the Pats.

He was the first coach I ever got to "know" when I was a kid.  I grew up a fan of the Falcons and Dolphins.  The man was dedicated to excellence like no other coach, before or since.  

(Also, he owned the greatest steak house on Earth...Ruth's Chris ain't got squat on Shula's)  

Man how I wanted Shula to be our HC when he left Baltimore. Even if we had just hired any of his assistant coaches ~ or just somebody he might have mentioned football with over the back fence at his house, llol ~ Falcon history would probably have been way, way better.  RIP sir. Sympathy to your family and all the football fans who loved and respected you as the only NFL HC to finish a season undefeated. Your like will not come this way again.

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

He’s a coaching legend.

I will allow it.

10 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

RIP to a pure legend. 

Exactly, Shula was the gold standard as a HC. Especially before Belichick's recent success.

Pure 100% NFL, pro football, and sports royalty.

I remember the funny story about when Manny Fernandez put a live gator in Shula's bathtub, I think it was at some hotel.  

Shula shows up and throws back the shower curtain and there's an alligator in the tub.  

Later on, Larry Csonka told him, "Coach, we took a team poll, and it was only by one vote we decided to tape the gator's mouth shut".