I rewatched many of our games and here are my notes

Worthles players we dumped: Jamal Carter, Jonathan Cyprien, Devondre Campbell, and Kamal Ishmael.

Worthless players we should have dumped: Allen Bailey. He just didn't provided anything as a pass rusher, even his contributions as a run stopper were negligeable. 

Worthless players we should have never traded for: Jonathan Cyprien cost us Duke Riley and a 6th round pick. 

Vet players who were puking aweful: Dr Dre Campbell, Trufart, and Freeman.

My Offense Notes:

• Julio needs to learn to high point the ball and make a habit of catching it with his hands. There were too many occasions where he tried to catch the ball with his body, and he dropped a few tds because he didn't aggressively try to hand catch the ball or it even led to an interception (Vikings, eagles). As the best player on this team he needs to do better as this is one of the reasons he has a low TD total. 
  • Matt Ryan with Matt Shaubs arm would be a fantastic player. There were a few occasions where Ryan delivered a moon ball, where as a dart would have lead to a TD. He also locks in on Calvin Ridley too much, leading to interceptions. 
  • Freeman and Hooper gambled with the ball too much for my liking trying to play hero ball, this lead to fumbles. 
  • DQ needs to learn to kick FGs and when to punt the ball. Seriously it pays to be conservative. He lost us at least 2 games trying to play madden ball and be a hero. Its ok to take 3 points in the first 3 quarters as well as to punt on 4th and 4. 
  • Young Hoe pretty much cost us the second saints game with 2 missed fgs and 1 extra point. 
  • We pretty much hung out rookie McGary to dry one on one vs JJ Watt, wtf?
  • Koetter needs to add some quick passing plays to his play book. We threw too many deep passes, and as a result it lead to high number of TO's. 

My defense notes:

• Oliver has not arrived yet, don't buy the front office marketing plan. Oliver is still grabby, bites on PA, gets caught looking in the backfield, and at times gets roasted by faster Wrs. His play did improve from the beginning to the end of the year, but I am not ready to annoint him yet. I would say as of right now our best corner is Kendall Sheffield. 
  • Thank God Trufart is gone. For a vet "shut down corner" his season was too inconsistent and inexcusable. The bail artist got some jail house loving by the Titans AJ Brown and lost us that game single handedly. His outings against will fuller, and Michael Thomas were not much better. Trufant struggles vs taller wide outs, and struggles in zone, often allowing his wr to get behind him and a make big plays while he tries to play hero ball. 
  • Devondre Campbell has momements where he looks ok, and moments where he looks like a heaping pile of hot dung. He is too inconsistent which is inexcusable for a vet. For instance he'll have a sack or come up with an int or a pd, but then he would crash inside on a run play against indy and lose us the game. Or he would get some Jail house loving by saints TE Cook, or abandon his zone leading to easy TDs. He needed to be gone yesterday and is not a good player considering he had 4 years in the system.
  • opposing OCs were absolutely STOKED when Devondre Campbell, Kemal Ishmael, Oliver, and Oloukon lined up on defense. It was a guaranteed 1st down play almost every time. I am glad we got depth at SS in Hawkins.  
  • DQ needs to slip some testosterone to the DBs, and Lbers. The feminine tackling was ugly and it was the theme all season long. Deion Jones, Campbell, Ishmael, Takk, and Oliver were especially bad. 
  • DQ allows his players to play undisciplined and freelance too much, which leads to easy plays such as Deion Jones vs Jack Doyle (Indi game). Almost everyone on defense is guilty of this. 
  • Whats up with our olbs/DE's having a fetish for crashing inside on run downs? Takk, campbell, and Vic did it the most, but so did bailey and it lead to huge runs. 
  • Takk was playing with shoulder injuries all season long. You can tell he was favoring his shoulders because he would miss easy sacks with wimpy tackling or would go down clutching his shoulders or look limp. He could have easily had 8-9 sacks had he wrapped up properly or tackled the QB. He reminds me of a younger clayborn who could be better if he moved inside. He needs to get off the ball better, as he looks sluggish off the snap. He may not have filled the stat sheet but you can tell he is getting pressure because it lead to INTs or incomplete passes. He gave the QB too much time to get rid of the ball or dump it, and it think it has to do with his injuries. 
  • Clayborn will be missed as a nickle DT pass rusher, Davidson has big shoes to fill to step into his spot. 
  • Kazee stinks as a NCB, but he is a good FS. 
  • Tyeler Davison is not amazing as an NT but he gets the job done. 
  • Vic Beasley is a very good designated pass rusher, but he is not a 3 down player.

25 minutes ago, RYNE said:

You didn’t talk bad about Julio did you? People are going to be so pisssed 

Yeah I have my lead suit on for that, but considering we are paying him $21M per season he needs to be the best wr in football. Cant do that if you arent making hand catches and are dropping easy tds. I am a Julio fan here but he has some deficiencies in his game. 

34 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Thanks for the assessment.  I really think the draft really addressed a huge issue from last year -tackling.

Guess I'm too new on here. People actually thought that Trufant was a shut down corner? Like Deion or Revis? 

Yeah he and D.C have their riders here, but the truth is outside of a few flashy plays they were both a liability. 

3 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Yeah I have my lead suit in fir that, but considering we are paying him $21M per season he needs to be the best wr in football. Cant do that if you arent making hand catches and are dropping easy tds. I am a Julio fan here but he has some deficiencies in his game. 

agree

I’m a fan too. I just think he needs to make more catches in the endzone if he wants to be “the best WR in football” like everyone claims.

Tackling was a huge issue. We need a starting caliber LB badly. Look what drafting Devin White did for Tampa's defense. 

The key to having a high level defense is like Chess, controlling the middle of the field. I think we needed a boundary CB to replace Trufart, but we arent gonna be good until we get a difference maker beside Deion Jones and create a fearsome pair in the middle of the defense 

1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

Worthles players we dumped: Jamal Carter, Jonathan Cyprien, Devondre Campbell, and Kamal Ishmael.

You forgot to add Matt Bryant

Worthless players we should have dumped: Allen Bailey. He just didn't provided anything as a pass rusher, even his contributions as a run stopper were negligeable. 

I would add Koo to this list.  I would have given Blankenship a look.  Also add Wes Schweitzer to this list

Edited by peoriabird

20 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Tackling was a huge issue. We need a starting caliber LB badly. Look what drafting Devin White did for Tampa's defense. 

The key to having a high level defense is like Chess, controlling the middle of the field. I think we needed a boundary CB to replace Trufart, but we arent gonna be good until we get a difference maker beside Deion Jones and create a fearsome pair in the middle of the defense 

This is why some were clamoring for K9. I am not convinced that Oloukon is it. I think we need to bring in some vet depth for this season. 

1 hour ago, Osiruz said:
  • Oliver has not arrived yet, don't buy the front office marketing plan. Oliver is still grabby, bites on PA, gets caught looking in the backfield, and at times gets roasted by faster Wrs. His play did improve from the beginning to the end of the year, but I am not ready to annoint him yet. I would say as of right now our best corner is Kendall Sheffield. 

I'm cool with Oliver...He isn't a probowler but he is steady.  Agree about Sheffield.

1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

Yeah I have my lead suit on for that, but considering we are paying him $21M per season he needs to be the best wr in football. Cant do that if you arent making hand catches and are dropping easy tds. I am a Julio fan here but he has some deficiencies in his game. 

Glad I'm not the only one to notice he doesn't use his hands or attacks it in the air consistently.

17 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

This is why some were clamoring for K9. I am not convinced that Oloukon is it. I think we need to bring in some vet depth for this season. 

Oluokon is a replica of Stephen Nicholas on the field...tackles okay but struggles in coverage. Ironically he wears the same number Nicholas did.

18 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Younghoe had 3 successful onside kicks. The offensive line cost us that game.

yeah he nearly redeemed himsef but 2 missed fgs, and 1 xp is 7 points. Would have had us down by only a td and in the ball game. 

I think whoever they have in there positions they just do what asked of them.

We have enough star power on this team.What we don’t have is enough guys who allow this star power to shine.

Always said it it’s not an all star game.7-8 that do there jobs and 3-4 that do a bit more either side of the ball.This is the key in my eyes.

Lbers I fairly confident in Ulbrich getting this group to perform.I got a sneaking suspicion Olukoun is better than most think.

51 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think whoever they have in there positions they just do what asked of them.

We have enough star power on this team.What we don’t have is enough guys who allow this star power to shine.

Always said it it’s not an all star game.7-8 that do there jobs and 3-4 that do a bit more either side of the ball.This is the key in my eyes.

Lbers I fairly confident in Ulbrich getting this group to perform.I got a sneaking suspicion Olukoun is better than most think.

I agree that too any players on this team free lance and don't shut up and do their jobs. I think even Ulbrich isn't getting the most out of his LBers. Campbell and Dion Jones leaving their assignment and doubling someone else, as well as missed tackles were a huge issue for us. The entire defense played undisciplied, and we couldn't get any pressure up the middle. Our Dline doesn't rush well together. It seems like DQ is coaching them very badly. The DL for example overloaded one side vs Murray and Watson and the results were disasterous. they escaped the pocket for 20+ yards. 

3 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Thanks for the assessment.  I really think the draft really addressed a huge issue from last year -tackling.

Guess I'm too new on here. People actually thought that Trufant was a shut down corner? Like Deion or Revis? 

That was an ongoing  argumen t for a couple years. I didn't want to resign him after 2016. If your D imroves whil e your injured then your not an essential player

Seems harsh on Cyprien considering he got hurt before he even really played lol. 

One thing I disagree on is that Trufant sucked. I concur that he was inconsistent and most of everything else you said about him other than him flatout sucking.. He had games where he balled out and games that he was terrible in like the Titans game that you mentioned. The zone scheme has never been a scheme fit for him as you stated. Trufant isn't the player he was the first 3-4 years he was in the league, but he's still a bit better than average and was paid as such for Detroit. 

Overall, I actually agree with most of your observations. 

18 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Seems harsh on Cyprien considering he got hurt before he even really played lol. 

One thing I disagree on is that Trufant sucked. I concur that he was inconsistent and most of everything else you said about him other than him flatout sucking.. He had games where he balled out and games that he was terrible in like the Titans game that you mentioned. The zone scheme has never been a scheme fit for him as you stated. Trufant isn't the player he was the first 3-4 years he was in the league, but he's still a bit better than average and was paid as such for Detroit. 

Overall, I actually agree with most of your observations. 

He's spent a lot of time in our scheme so we shouldn't expect rookie mistakes from him. I agree there were moments he shined, but there were equally moments where he was burnt to a crisp or covered grass. I thought I said he was very inconsistent, but for the money we paid he was not worth it. 

10 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

He's spent a lot of time in our scheme so we shouldn't expect rookie mistakes from him. I agree there were moments he shined, but there were equally moments where he was burnt to a crisp or covered grass. I thought I said he was very inconsistent, but for the money we paid he was not worth it. 

You did, I was agreeing with that assessment. And I agree we were overpaying him, so it made sense to cut him.