• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being pumped up and fired up

I’m obviously in the minority here but I thinks he’s good at being a head coach. He has a very clear vision of what the culture should be, what the attitude should be and as cheesy as it may sound, he

According to our resident dreamer....he's good at laying pipe....

When I first heard we got Quinn, one of the men behind the "Legion of Boom," I was downright elated. After years of dismal Mike Smith defenses I thought to myself "Finally, we can achieve a good defense again and get a pass rush." After the 2015 & 2016 draft it really seemed we were on that path and I loved our new HC. As more years have gone by, I'm not sure Quinn can get us where we need to be defensively. If 2020 does not go well I am certainly on the "Fire DQ" train.

Edited by Trick Montalban
1 hour ago, octoslash said:

He's good at being a buddy to his players. Unfortunately, the players need a good head coach, one who's not afraid of hurting their feelings...they dont need a buddy.

You have any proof of what takes place behind closed doors?  I feel like people can’t comprehend there is the media version of someone and then a different version when hard conversations need to be had.

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

Only thing he needs to be good at is an overseer. That’s all I need from him. Let your assistant coaches coach. Unfortunately that means DK too

My thoughts exactly.  Your head coach shouldn’t be the reason your position groups develop, that’s why you pay a bunch of coaches.  He needs to set vision, develop his coaches and hold them accountable and help reaffirm good player behaviors and call out bad ones, but the player development should come from positional coaches first and foremost, not the head coach.

8 minutes ago, Rings said:

My thoughts exactly.  Your head coach shouldn’t be the reason your position groups develop, that’s why you pay a bunch of coaches.  He needs to set vision, develop his coaches and hold them accountable and help reaffirm good player behaviors and call out bad ones, but the player development should come from positional coaches first and foremost, not the head coach.

Thank you. Couldn’t agree more!

2 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

Yep, I said before that he’s like Brian Snitker. Neither is really a great coach/manager, but the guys really do like playing for them apparently. That at least counts for something, not for too much though :lol:

Haha No doubt, at least it's something I reckon. Helped get us Fowler

19 minutes ago, Rings said:

You have any proof of what takes place behind closed doors?  I feel like people can’t comprehend there is the media version of someone and then a different version when hard conversations need to be had.

You would not believe the proof I have.  

32 minutes ago, Rings said:

Very well said, my friend.  

Just like any other Executive position: have a clear vision, hire people whose strengths align with your vision and hold your subordinates  accountable.  

As I use to tell my managers, inspect what you expect

He is great at coddling players through preseason. That in turn tends to make sure the Falcons are soft and not ready for the harshness they will face once the season gets under way.

I can't stand to watch the Falcons under Quinn in the preseason. All I see is is a team that could care less if they are prepared to start the year. No discipline just a, I could care less attitude. It should be time to prep the team to correct mistakes before the games count when mistakes could cause the team to lose. Make sure players and coaches are on the same page. 

If you ever played football (and i feel most of us did). I remember even in high school, our head coach (state champ team) spoke only to coaches, the qb, and maybe the mlb. Our position coaches were the ones that conversed, aligned, motivated, and taught. He might have said 2 words to me in 4 years.

8 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Very well said, my friend.  

Just like any other Executive position: have a clear vision, hire people whose strengths align with your vision and hold your subordinates  accountable.  

As I use to tell my managers, inspect what you expect

Use to use the same line haha.

11 hours ago, 32wood84white said:

I’m obviously in the minority here but I thinks he’s good at being a head coach. He has a very clear vision of what the culture should be, what the attitude should be and as cheesy as it may sound, he has a very clear vision of what the brotherhood should be.

We all know he was still a part of the defensive game plan after Ulbrich and Raheem took over the play calling but for as much as people say him letting go of the defense led to the success we would go on to have, I completely believe it was his ability to be everywhere with everyone all over the team that allowed his vision of culture, attitude and brotherhood to come alive again the last 8 weeks.

So for me, he is good at being a head coach. And I have zero doubt that he will have great success in Atlanta. He learned his lessons. 

Even if he is just a glorified hype man as some want to believe, when all your hype is going into a certain position group or side of the ball, that vision starts to get lost amongst the entire team. Best thing for his career was to back off the defense and just mainly focus on being a head coach. And I also think he was pressing going into 2019.  Gotta trust your coaches and your judgement as to why you brought those coaches in. Let them do their thing and tweak it if needed, don’t jump all the way in like he did.

So here's the problem with the first sentence. A good Head Coach will overrule dumb decisions by his coordinators. The Super Bowl was not just on Kyle Shanahan. Quinn could have took over. A good HC also manages the clock, and timeouts well. One thing for sure, and we can used a medical example. You have scientists and doctors. One works in the lab, while the other works in hospitals and offices. Quinn tries to play both. Vic Beasley received so much hate around here. The guy is a freak athlete. He has his beast season as a pass rusher, and Quinn starts experimenting with him.

12 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

So here's the problem with the first sentence. A good Head Coach will overrule dumb decisions by his coordinators. The Super Bowl was not just on Kyle Shanahan. Quinn could have took over. A good HC also manages the clock, and timeouts well. One thing for sure, and we can used a medical example. You have scientists and doctors. One works in the lab, while the other works in hospitals and offices. Quinn tries to play both. Vic Beasley received so much hate around here. The guy is a freak athlete. He has his beast season as a pass rusher, and Quinn starts experimenting with him.

So it sounds like you want a head coach to be perfect or dang near close to it. It’s not gonna happen. These coaches are normal people and there’s no book that says this is how you do it or everyone who loves football would do it.

As far as the super bowl. Why should DQ have taken over? Why overrule your OC that has orchestrated an historic offense and DQ has said they were comfortable with where the ball was going when Matt was sacked on 2nd and 11. People tend to forget we ran on 1st down and lost a yard. Stacking the box to stop the run, your dang right I would have been comfortable having a play called where the ball touches your two best players hands in Matt and Julio.

As far as Vic goes, you may be right or Vic possibly just didn’t have the desire to get better. I don’t know on that one but I’m not gonna put blame on just one person for Vic.