More 5 Man Fronts

I think trading for Harris hints we will be running more 5 man fronts. He and Fowler are better in space and Debo & Foye are ILB’s.  

Starting in SF last year we started running quite a bit of 53 defense and it worked incredibly well....especially with Morris disguising his back end coverages so well.

Fowler-Grady-Davison-Davidson-Takk with Bailey, Harris, Cominsky rotating one is a solid group.

Harris has a great spin move.  Maybe we can help rebuild some of his confidence

I feel like we’ve tried this before and it didn’t turn out well.  Right now, aside from Grady, we have a bunch of tweeners on the defensive line that don’t do any one thing extremely well.  It remains to be seen if Fowler can have another season like last year.

It’s reminiscent of when Mike Smith got all those 270-295lb guys so that we could be more physical.  Sure we bulked up and had versatility, but they were all very average.

8 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I feel like we’ve tried this before and it didn’t turn out well.  Right now, aside from Grady, we have a bunch of tweeners on the defensive line that don’t do any one thing extremely well.  It remains to be seen if Fowler can have another season like last year.

It’s reminiscent of when Mike Smith got all those 270-295lb guys so that we could be more physical.  Sure we bulked up and had versatility, but they were all very average.

Fowler isn’t a tweeter though. And Marlon Davidson is a 300lb DT that is just athletic enough to play DE. Tyler Davidson isn’t a tweener either

16 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Fowler isn’t a tweeter though. And Marlon Davidson is a 300lb DT that is just athletic enough to play DE. Tyler Davidson isn’t a tweener either

Bad syntax.  I wasn’t lumping Fowler in as a tweener.  My concern with him is if he can replicate or do better than what he did last year. For the record I do believe he can.  A lot of people like to bring up how he was on the same line as Aaron Donald, but most of his sack production came while Donald was off of the field.

Davidson played his last year of college at 280-285.  Can he play the same at 300?  And you’re right, Davison isn’t a tweener.

Aside from Fowler and Grady, everybody else is in that realm of uncertainty production wise.

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

We also ran a lot of 5 man fronts early in the year with disastrous results

We really only started running 53 in the SF game

“Yeah, they had a great game plan,” 49ers fullback Kyle Juszczyk said. “They came out and they gave us something different that they haven’t shown all season. They came out with five bigs, three linebackers and took a DB out, so it was just something we had to adjust to.

1 hour ago, falcon1fan said:

Vic had a killer spin move...but nothing else lol

His spin move sucked imo.  He looked like he was in slow motion after already being stoned half the time.  That's not when you use it.

You spin once that tackle commits to move outside & before he actually gets his mits on you I think bro.  VB never perfected that.

5 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

I hope not, that 5 man front just doesn't work and Brady will eat us alive. 

I watched Brady get planted multiple times in one game (won't mention which game:angry:) by Grady. I also watched Brady get drilled multiple times in one game TWICE by Fowler (w/Rams and Jags AFCCG). Double team one, and the other should eat.

3 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

It's kind of crazy how much our timeline with DQ is similar to Smith's tenure.

But the biggest problem with this is we leave a single high back there.Theyll be banking on Fowler having an instant impact and getting opposing QBs moved off the spot to help the below mentioned.

Like @Knight of God has always said we still haven’t got that guy back there with speed and range.

To me that’s the Achilles heel of this defense.

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

But the biggest problem with this is we leave a single high back there.Theyll be banking on Fowler having an instant impact and getting opposing QBs moved off the spot to help the below mentioned.

Like @Knight of God has always said we still haven’t got that guy back there with speed and range.

To me that’s the Achilles heel of this offense.

Hopefully we run less single high.  Tampa 2, Cover 1, Quarters etc please

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

We really only started running 53 in the SF game

“Yeah, they had a great game plan,” 49ers fullback Kyle Juszczyk said. “They came out and they gave us something different that they haven’t shown all season. They came out with five bigs, three linebackers and took a DB out, so it was just something we had to adjust to.

We were running 5 man fronts vs the Vikings week 1.

It may have been more of a 5-2 look but they were still 5 man fronts.

Infact we shifted to more 4 man/ 4-3 fronts vs the Saints and that threw them off.

10 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

We were running 5 man fronts vs the Vikings week 1.

It may have been more of a 5-2 look but they were still 5 man fronts.

Infact we shifted to more 4 man/ 4-3 fronts vs the Saints and that threw them off.

This we ran 5-2 and then went 5-3 vs the 9era because they run run run 

27 minutes ago, Vandy said:

LOL...there was a funny thread on this started a few years ago by @Spts1 with a pic of Indiana Jones knife scene that pretty much said it all. Maybe he’ll post it again for us. 

claysack2.gif

If AC still wants to play, I hope we can find a spot to squeeze him in. Although it's getting packed. He was always disruptive. Even if he didn't get the stat on paper, he moved the QB, he just had no help.  Im sure someone will clear themselves out along the way. 

4 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

If AC still wants to play, I hope we can find a spot to squeeze him in. Although it's getting packed. He was always disruptive. Even if he didn't get the stat on paper, he moved the QB, he just had no help.  Im sure someone will clear themselves out along the way. 

AC? Clayborn’s with the browns, my man. But yes, he’s a very underrated loss. 

I’m really excited about Davidson being added to the mix.