Falcons Trade For DE Charles Harris

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why are y’all hating? It’s a 7th rounder and a smart move concerning Takks inability to finish a season healthy and also likely attitude to having his 5th season declined. Cry about not having depth t

For a 7th rounder... why not. We will have a 7th round compensatory pick anyway. I dont think this is a bad move at all.

3.5 sacks in three seasons, albeit with a terrible team. Depth pick - hopefully we didn't give up more than a seventh or sixth at the most!

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

LOL.

True, but Beasley wasn’t playing behind cam wake and Robert Quinn either.

Harris is worth a (long)shot, right?

yeah, at a cost of a 7th rounder, I am a buyer - but I have very little (read ZERO) expectations that this will payoff.   If Harris was gonna be a player, he would have done it by now - I don't care who was in front of him or the scheme fit.

For me, it's a risk worth taking.  It's as close to a UDFA signing as we can get.  The difference being he already had a stellar college career & went in the 1st round. 

We'll probably have several compensatory picks to mitigate the risk should this experiment fail.

But the first sack he comes up with would make us forget very quickly about his Dolphin career lol.

Even the dolphins don't want him... lol so the ATL pack is the dumping grounds... are we now like the place you put your old unwanted horse out to pasture... they should be giving us a pick to take him.  3.5 sacks in 41 games.  

Waste more money...

:doh: continuity strikes again!

Edited by Realsurfin
25 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Both had very similar draft metrics: 

Both have lightening quick 1st steps

Both Known coming out of college as speed rushers lacking a repertoire of pass rush moves. 

Both are liabilities against the run.

Both are tweeners.

Charles Harris has shown signs that he does have some pass rushing move, they need to be more refined and polished though.

Beasley can't really beat a tackle at all if you negate his speed off the edge.

As for Tweeners, I think that's an outdated view of edge rushers now.

List of edge rushers who were label as "Tweeners":

Von Miller

Khalil Mack

TJ Watt

Ryan Kerrigan

Danielle Hunter

Brandon Graham

Shaq Barrett

Marcus Golden

Terrell Suggs

Robert Mathis

Cameron Wake

Melvin Ingram

Robert Quinn

Yannick Ngakoue

Dee Ford

Harold Landry

Frank Clark

Even Chandler Jones was looked at as both a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB as well.

Many NFL edge rushers now are Tweeners.

8 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Charles Harris has shown signs that he does have some pass rushing move, they need to be more refined and polished though.

Beasley can't really beat a tackle at all if you negate his speed off the edge.

As for Tweeners, I think that's an outdated view of edge rushers now.

List of edge rushers who were label as "Tweeners":

Von Miller

Khalil Mack

TJ Watt

Danielle Hunter

Brandon Graham

Shaq Barrett

Marcus Golden

Terrell Suggs

Robert Mathis

Cameron Wake

Melvin Ingram

Robert Quinn

Yannick Ngakoue

Dee Ford

Harold Landry

Even Chandler Jones was looked at as both a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB as well.

Many NFL edge rushers now are Tweeners.

Neither has Harris. What is it about 3.5 career sacks you don’t understand?

And it would have been fair to have compared Beasley/Harris coming out of college to several of those guys on your list. Similar build/potential/concerns. 

Not sure what your point is. At all.

2 hours ago, hjerry said:

I don't think anyone actually said they wanted to trade him now, just that they wondered if it may happen

Lots have, few in here and a few in other threads. They wanted to trade home before this guy came on. I'm not on the Takk train but sadly he's the 2and best DE on the roster.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

And it would have been fair to have compared Beasley/Harris coming out of college to several of those guys on your list.

Not sure what your point is. 

Just because they a tweener, doesn't mean they are the same players.

Not even Von Miller or Khalil Mack are the same players despite both being tweeners.

I think it's unfair to throw them in altogether just because of a positional stereotype.

36 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Just because they a tweener, doesn't mean they are the same players.

Not even Von Miller or Khalil Mack are the same players despite both being tweeners.

LOL. I didn’t compare miller and Mack. That’s your list Don, not mine.

Still don’t see your point in claiming  Harris to Beasley was an off comparison. They both came out of college with similar size + skill sets. And both have been 1st round disappointments, and for similar reasons. 

14 minutes ago, Vandy said:

LOL. I didn’t compare miller and Mack. 

Still don’t see your point in comparing Harris to Beasley wasn’t a fair comparison. 

I never said you compared Miller to Mack.

I used them to prove a point that the term "tweener" is not really describing much of what a player actually is in today's NFL.

Vic Beasley is much more of a speed rusher than Charles Harris is. Watch the Titans have to use primarily stunts and lining Beasley out wide and blitz him just to make him effective.

I put my money more on Charles Harris becoming a more polished edge rusher technique wise than Beasley. Beasley is 100% a speed rusher and that's the only thing I think he'll ever be.

The main reason I disagree with the similarities is that Charles Harris has shown signs that he can effectively use pass rushing moves more than Beasley. He just needs to improve on them and also finish at the QB. I think that's what Quinn sees in him that he thinks he can fix.

The biggest question of all is Harris' work ethic to get better and motor compared to Beasley's. Which I think Harris may have over Beasley.

30 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

Even the dolphins don't want him... lol so the ATL pack is the dumping grounds... are we now like the place you put your old unwanted horse out to pasture... they should be giving us a pick to take him.  3.5 sacks in 41 games.  

Waste more money...

:doh: continuity strikes again!

Literally every single one of your posts are the same. Also, you keep throwing around that word continuity yet I don't think you know what it means.

21 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Lots have, few in here and a few in other threads. They wanted to trade home before this guy came on. I'm not on the Takk train but sadly he's the 2and best DE on the roster.

Oh I'm sure there are those wanting to trade him. I'm just not sure how many have decided to trade him as a result of this trade. I'd say most wanted to trade him before this.

19 minutes ago, Vandy said:

LOL. I didn’t compare miller and Mack. That’s your list, not mine.

Still don’t see your point in claiming  Harris to Beasley was an off comparison. They both came out of college with similar size + skill sets. And both have been 1st round disappointments, and for similar reasons. 

All those guys were considered tweeners coming out of college.

They all overcame the stereotypes of the tweener label.

Elvis Dumervil was another one.

55 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Both had very similar draft metrics coming out of college: 

Both with  lightening quick 1st steps

Both Known coming out of college as speed rushers lacking a repertoire of pass rush moves. (BTW, neither have gotten better in that department as pros either)

Both are liabilities against the run.

Both are athletic tweeners.

And neither player are anything like Biermann, Edwards or Anderson. Not sure where that came from.

I said that as a jab to posters who are always throwing out Bierman, Edwards, and Anderson comparisons to any player they think aren't good. You've been on this board long enough to know what I'm talking about.

Wasn't necessarily saying you. You are actually making a decent discussion about why Beasley is similar to Harris. Most posters just make a statement and not explain why.

59 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Is there anyway to see what his pressures look like?

Harris actually had a pretty good rookie season, as the #4 pass rusher behind Cameron Wake, Andre Branch, and William Hayes.

His 31 pressures (with 20 QB hits and 2 sacks) that season are more pressures than Takk had in 2018 (25) or 2019 (20) or than Beasley had in 2018 (20) or 2019 (18).

If we can help Harris regain some confidence in himself, I think this could be a big win. You're not going to find a pass rusher in the 7th round with the potential to put up 30+ pressures -- in a limited role, nonetheless. 

As others have stated, the big key to Harris is if the coaching staff can teach him another pass rushing move besides just relying on his initial burst to win. I don't have a lot of faith in our staff, but maybe this guy will be more coachable than some other pass rushers we've had to work with.

As the #4 guy behind Fowler, Takk, and Cominsky, I think this is a pretty good move. Low risk, potential of high reward, and if it doesn't work out you didn't really miss out on much. We haven't had a single 7th round pick stick on the roster under Dan Quinn, so it's not like we're missing out on much.

If he'd been averaging 4 sacks/yr, he'd be considered a bust, but I can see people talking about play time and scheme fit.  You might take a player like that and get 8 out of him.

But averaging 1 sack/year is pretty bad even if he's in the wrong scheme and a backup.

It's not a big risk taking him on, but it would be shocking if he had a tremendous change in production.

3 minutes ago, blizzard_falcon said:

Harris actually had a pretty good rookie season, as the #4 pass rusher behind Cameron Wake, Andre Branch, and William Hayes.

His 31 pressures (with 20 QB hits and 2 sacks) that season are more pressures than Takk had in 2018 (25) or 2019 (20) or than Beasley had in 2018 (20) or 2019 (18).

If we can help Harris regain some confidence in himself, I think this could be a big win. You're not going to find a pass rusher in the 7th round with the potential to put up 30+ pressures -- in a limited role, nonetheless. 

As others have stated, the big key to Harris is if the coaching staff can teach him another pass rushing move besides just relying on his initial burst to win. I don't have a lot of faith in our staff, but maybe this guy will be more coachable than some other pass rushers we've had to work with.

As the #4 guy behind Fowler, Takk, and Cominsky, I think this is a pretty good move. Low risk, potential of high reward, and if it doesn't work out you didn't really miss out on much. We haven't had a single 7th round pick stick on the roster under Dan Quinn, so it's not like we're missing out on much.

So basically Harris despite starting way less games and less snaps, he was about as effective or more effective than Beasley?

Yep, Harris was also behind a few edge rushers starting off his career with the Dolphins while Beasley started off as "the guy" for the Falcons.