2020 NFL Draft: Analyzing the play and scheme fit of all six first-round cornerbacks

Clemson’s A.J. Terrell earned an 80.0-plus coverage grade for two consecutive seasons while allowing just 23 receptions across 426 coverage snaps in 2019, and he has the length and speed to transition smoothly in press-man coverage. 

Terrell returns to his hometown of Atlanta as the Falcons’ 16th overall pick, where he will be expected to help improve a unit that earned a team coverage grade of only 52.5 last season, 25thamong teams. The Falcons played zone coverage 53% of the time a season ago, so Terrell will be expected to play a high volume of both zone and man coverage.

Even with his 4.42 speed, Terrell was beaten repeatedly by LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase in the national championship game, where he allowed 143 yards and two touchdowns on five receptions. That said, his body of work across his entire college career paints a much better picture. 

During his two seasons as a starter for the Clemson Tigers, he allowed a completion rate of 52.9% on 102 targets to go along with his five interceptions. His 78.6 passer rating allowed and his average of 0.89 yards per coverage snap rank 36th and 13th, respectively, among the 105 cornerbacks who saw at least 100 targets over that period. He is also one of only 11  qualifying players in the nation who earned a 78.0-plus coverage grade in both man and zone coverage.

Cornerbacks who earned PFF coverage grades of at least 78.0 while seeing at least 30 targets in both man and zone coverage (2018-19)
Name Man-coverage grade Zone-coverage grade
Trevon Diggs 80.6 89.7
Kristian Fulton 79.7 89.9
Byron Murphy 90.8 87.0
Julian Love 89.2 82.1
Paulson Adebo 80.1 90.1
A.J. Terrell 83.5 78.9
Amik Robertson 83.2 91.3
Thomas Graham Jr. 79.5 78.7
Eric Stokes 80.0 81.5
Jaylon Johnson 78.3 80.1
Derek Stingley Jr. 89.9 85.0

Terrell must now lean on his skills and traits to help Falcons defensive coordinator Raheem Morris build a secondary that must hold up against the likes of Tom Brady and Drew Brees in the NFC South. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-analyzing-the-play-and-scheme-fit-of-all-six-first-round-cornerbacks

So the plan is to let Terrell shadow and beat up #1 WRs within the first 5 yards?

That's the vibe that I've been getting based on what I've been hearing since he was drafted. Good thing he'll have Julio and Ridley to work on his coverage skills with.

I want to see how he battles against Mike Thomas and Mike Evans(Trufant's worst nightmare) with his physicality.

4 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

Raiders GM Mike Mayock says team timed CB Damon Arnette at 4.43 in 40-yard dash at NFL Combine

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/30/raiders-gm-mike-mayock-says-team-timed-cb-damon-arnette-at-4-43-in-40-yard-dash-at-nfl-combine/amp/

Was the electronic toner wrong only for Arnette?  Lol.  Inwi der if the Raiders timed Terrell at 4.28?

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

I like Mayock

Same. He knows who the right guys are IMO.

i strongly tend to agree with his Evaluations. I’m becoming a Raiders fan to a good degree because of Mayock as the GM. I paid a good bit of attention to Raiders in weeks before draft and Funny thing this year... I managed to pick four (Muse, Edwards, Robertson , Ruggs)  of the guys they drafted as ones I felt they would. I’d have had 5 if Falcons hadn’t picked Terrell at 16 before Raiders at 19.

11 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

Same. He knows who the right guys are IMO.

i strongly tend to agree with his Evaluations. I’m becoming a Raiders fan to a good degree because of Mayock as the GM. I paid a good bit of attention to Raiders in weeks before draft and Funny thing this year... I managed to pick four (Muse, Edwards, Robertson , Ruggs)  of the guys they drafted as ones I felt they would. I’d have had 5 if Falcons hadn’t picked Terrell at 16 before Raiders at 19.

Muse was my guy. Same with Robertson 

Damon Arnette was a player that I really liked. He doesn't get the kudos he deserves because of Okudah.

But I admit that I wanted him in the 2nd round and it's possible he may not have been there. Maybe the Raiders were the only team that was willing to take him in the first and if the Terrell pick didn't happen, then Arnette may have dropped.

But with that being said, I appreciate Terrell for one of the same reasons I liked Arnette, scheme fit. And I'm satisfied with the Marlon Davidson pick too.