Jump to content

Who do you think will make a more immediate impact Jaylinn Hawkins or Mykal Walker?


Recommended Posts

I'm actually going with Hawkins on this one. His football IQ is much higher than Walker IMO. This is the man in charge of the defensive calls at Cal even with Ashtyn Davis along side of him. While Walker may get more playing time, I hope that Hawkins will help our safeties to become better, smarter players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Walker because of more immediate opportunity with only having 2 of 3 starting LBs before the draft.  

I think Hawkins will still contribute, but with Rico and Neal slotted as the starters I think his chances will be more limited.  Of course there is the caveat that if Neal doesn't come back healthy/ready to go, Hawkins could get a lot more of a shot early.

I'm actually really excited to see how Hawkins and Rico work together.  People knock Rico a lot, but the man is like a coach on the field, moving people into the right places, calling out what he sees, and basically being the QB of the defense.  I think Hawkins has similar football IQ, so I think there is a real chance to dramatically shorten his NFL learning curve if Rico lets him pick his brain.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Walker will see a heavier workload earlier than Hawkins.  

The thing I love about both of these guys is that tackling is something they thrive on.  Not just laying a shoulder into a guy, but actually wrapping up and bringing the ball carrier to the ground.

That seems to be a common theme with just about everyone we brought in defensively...  and that includes the UDFAs.  They all are willing tacklers who love to hit people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Walker will see a heavier workload earlier than Hawkins.  

The thing I love about both of these guys is that tackling is something they thrive on.  Not just laying a shoulder into a guy, but actually wrapping up and bringing the ball carrier to the ground.

All of our draft picks seem to have mentioned they will be the hardest worker in the room. I like that. We haven't had many rookies saying that and now we just got a class of them. Talent is great but if the guy next to you is gonna outwork you he can still beat you even if he's less talented. These guys have talent tho just gotta put in work. I hope they follow what they say.

And to piggyback off of you I'm glad we arent getting guys we need to teach to tackle. I'm tired of "you can teach tackling". 

In my experience you either want to or you don't it's hard to "teach" and change a mindset.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Walker easy. He's got a clear run at the SAM spot in base and he projects as a core special team guy. If Hawkins is seeing snaps at safety as a rookie, it means something has seriously gone wrong.

Well our SAF group hasn’t “been RIGHT” in several seasons as it is...  so there’s that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ovie_Lover said:

All of our draft picks seem to have mentioned they will be the hardest worker in the room. I like that. We haven't had many rookies saying that and now we just got a class of them. Talent is great but if the guy next to you is gonna outwork you he can still beat you even if he's less talented. These guys have talent tho just gotta put in work. I hope they follow what they say.

And to piggyback off of you I'm glad we arent getting guys we need to teach to tackle. I'm tired of "you can teach tackling". 

In my experience you either want to or you don't it's hard to "teach" and change a mindset.

TD and Quinn aren't gonna admit they've been drafting a lot of athletes and not enough football players/hard workers/self motivators in past drafts. That "athlete" drafting mentality hurt locker room chemistry and when things got hard, guys didn't know how to deal with it. Luckily, every guy we drafted has those qualities I mentioned. It's going to be a huge asset that largely will get unnoticed around here. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

Well our SAF group hasn’t “been RIGHT” in several seasons as it is...  so there’s that

This is true, but at best Hawkins is the #4 safety. If Neal isn't ready to go Rico and Kazee would start. They might even prefer a vet like Cooper or Neasman to start over Hawkins at this point.

Not hating on Hawkins but we've often bedded safeties in pretty slowly. Moore, Decoud, Rico & Kazee all essentially had redshirt years. The only one to make an immediate impact was Neal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...