Chuck Smith Talks Draft and Opens Up About Trying to be a Falcons' Coach

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, here is how I see it: Forget the Falcons, Smith has NEVER coached in the NFL or any level outside of 1 year as an assistant with UT when they "mutually parted ways" after 1 season.  He c

That isn’t earth shattering. Donald was the Outland and Bednarik Award winner. He straight up demolished the Senior Bowl. We picked 6th that year and we needed a OT bad that year. But that was the yea

Regardless of whatever other details exist, let's not pretend that 12 other teams didn't pass on Donald also. Come on. Jake was a very safe pick at a position the Falcons needed. You can't miss on you

2 hours ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

If it was so obvious, he would have went in the top 5 or even top 10, and he didn't.  There was a few fans here clamoring for him here, including me; but most of the message board experts called him small

I wanted him bad. I was convinced he would be the next geno Atkins. I just didn’t want to spend the 6th pick on him. I finally came around close to draft time. I knew he would ball out. But I never expected him to be THIS good

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Long story short, Quinn never gave him an opportunity between Seattle and Atlanta, they **** on his player suggestions and last year they played him like a sucker 

Preciate that.... I normally watch chucks videos because I love hearing him talk passrush but ima skip this one because this seems unproductive AF... 

I like chuck so ima fall back on this one... This just sound like one of those story's where your homie blows up and u want him to put you on and it doesn't happen.

I've heard chuck call coach Quinn a friend multiple times and I've read Quinn talk about liking to watch chuck teach pass rush.

I've read ppl on this post say we treat our legends wrong... How ?

Also Raheem Morris is getting like 90% of the credit for the turnaround.. The only credit I've seen coach Quinn get is being smart enough and a leader enough to give up the D to someone who did a great job.

Again I just feel like this one is unproductive *** ****... 

I don't know any of these guys, so who knows what is really going on behind closed doors. 

I have, for the past year, been very critical of Dan Quinn and I still think he is not a very good HC.  However, I get the feeling that Chuck Smith is one of those people that simply do not work well in collaboration.  As a HC, you really can't afford to have that sort of person working under you.  One lone cat can tear up the team.  

CS appears to be a very astute pass rush teacher.  I believe most of what he says in this video, but I also think he is leaving some important things out.  I think Chuck Smith is a loner.....and that is OK.  He appears to have a decent business going and I hope he gets a chance to work with MD and Fowler.  

Chuck, at this time, is probably better off not working for Quinn.  If things don't get straightened out soon, DQ may be interviewing somewhere else.  

6 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

So, here is how I see it:

Forget the Falcons, Smith has NEVER coached in the NFL or any level outside of 1 year as an assistant with UT when they "mutually parted ways" after 1 season. 

That Tennessee stuff was weird and may have been what set his coaching career on permanent pause.  I'm not making a judgement as I like Chuck and sometimes people just clash but I'm sure there's more to know about what happened inside coaching circles.

Edited by Monolith2001
4 hours ago, Mescalito said:

i'm just glad we didn't take that tackle that the rams took at 2.  Was it the Rams?  

Greg Robinson, and he’s probably who we take if Rams had drafted Matthews instead.

To all these revisionists wishing we had taken Donald....We had to draft an offensive tackle, Matt Ryan would be retired and in a wheelchair today if we hadn’t drafted Matthews.

21 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

That Tennessee stuff was weird and may have been what set his coaching career on permanent pause.  I'm not making a judgement as I like Chuck and sometimes people just clash but I'm sure there's more to know about what happened inside coaching circles.

Pretty embarrassing rant. But to be fair to chuck, Vols were a clusterfuk during that period...even worse than now.

9 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

That isn’t earth shattering. Donald was the Outland and Bednarik Award winner. He straight up demolished the Senior Bowl. We picked 6th that year and we needed a OT bad that year. But that was the year some wanted us to trade up for Clowney and was hoping Mack felled to us. A couple fans was on the Donald train at 6. But it was only a couple. He went to 13 that year 

I won’t claim credit for wanting Donald at #6 but the Falcons coaches and TD should have known.  Mike Smith and Falcons coaching staff coached the North Roster at the Senior Bowl all week where he absolutely dominated.

Chuck is an independent contractor. Players not teams hire him for help on their techniques. I would love to officially have Chuck on our coaching staff because he does bring expertise to the table. However, Chuck has absolutely no filter and that could be the reason why he works for himself.

Anyone remember a podcast I believe he did a couple of years ago and he just ripped into certain Falcons players and coaches? I think that sealed his fate with ever contributing to the Falcons as long as this regime is here.

14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I won’t claim credit for wanting Donald at #6 but the Falcons coaches and TD should have known.  Mike Smith and Falcons coaching staff coached the North Roster at the Senior Bowl all week where he absolutely dominated.

I was on the Donald/Mack train that year, especially at #6. A very good OT could have been had at #37 too. TD and Smith must have gambled on a coin flip again.

36 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I was on the Donald/Mack train that year, especially at #6. A very good OT could have been had at #37 too. TD and Smith must have gambled on a coin flip again.

Very good OT like who in 2014 draft at 37. LT don’t grow on trees.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Greg Robinson, and he’s probably who we take if Rams had drafted Matthews instead.

To all these revisionists wishing we had taken Donald....We had to draft an offensive tackle, Matt Ryan would be retired and in a wheelchair today if we hadn’t drafted Matthews.

Yep. When Matt Ryan would have ended up wheel chair with RT and LT like Bear pascoe, Gabe Carimi, Trublood, Toilolo and raw Ryan Schrader, Lamar Holmes. . The revisionist history is strong on these boards. Mathews with high ankle sprain was better than anything at other end. 

2 hours ago, BlazerSlayer said:

Didn't Chuck Smith work on pass rush moves with Jamaal Anderson? He seems to me like the type of guy that will talk all day about his success but keep quiet about his misses.

Every year there is news of player X working with Chuck Smith in the off-season. Then that guy gets like 2 ½ sacks and no one blames him.

The fact if the matter is he gets mixed results and has never held a job in the NFL; on any team. It's his life, his job and he is rightfully passionate about it but you have to take it with a grain of salt.

All that being said, he is a legend and I will always appreciate what he did as a Falcon.

First off wasn't Chuck smith the guy who was bad mouthing the falcons on social media all of the time?  

Secondly I am pretty sure Chuck tries to teach guys to do things that Dan Quinn and his staff doesn't want them doing.

The story of them fixing the pass rush is a little far fetched. Falcons changed their defensive coordinator and scheme with it.

Falcons ran an odd 3-4 to give Vic beasley the von Miller role. 

I really believe we tried to center the defense around Beasley and not Jarrett the first half of last year.

8 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Forget the Falcons, Smith has NEVER coached in the NFL or any level outside of 1 year as an assistant with UT when they "mutually parted ways" after 1 season. 

He claims Quinn took all the credit for the defensive/pass rush turnaround last year. I have not seen Quinn take any of the credit other than for moving a couple of responsibilities around and giving Morris and Ulbrich all the credit for defensive improvement . 

Chuck says he was done dirty, but I dont see it that way. Until any team decides to make him a coach I can only conclude that for all of his knowledge and expertise, he is deemed as a potential liability, hence organizations value his input, but have to keep him at arms length. I dont fault the Falcons when 31 other franchises arent knocking at his door either to get him on payroll.

Some people are just better suited to consult and keep it moving. Smith seems like a good guy, and a real dude, but he comes across as a little cocky and arrogant.

Coaching is more than just teaching technique and Xs and Os by the way. Smith likely could teach our staff a ton about pass rush, but that doesn't mean he needs to be in charge of professional athletes 365 days a year. That's a different set of skills. You get ALL the criticism from fans media, other coaches, the GM, and Shareholders, but you still have to show up to work and lead a group of young men to achieve THEIR best potential as a professional athlete on and off the field and maybe never get any credit publicly. Thats a different animal of a human. And he is upset he didnt get a shout out last season, but you want to coach?

There is always 2 sides. There have been 4 Head coaches for the Falcons since Smith retired in 2000 and none of them brought him on to staff. At some point you stop pointing fingers man.

Great post. I could be off base here but my guess why no one has offered him a coaching position is his attitude. Your coaching staff will always have disagreements but you have to be able to work through it and find a solution. Listening to him speak, it is obvious that he has very strong opinions. It is ok to have strong opinions but you are not always going to get your way. I don’t see him as the type that would take those things well.

The conversation about Donald is a great example. I am sure their were guys that were advocating for Donald on draft day but tackle was a need and it turned out pretty well for us. What you don’t see is those guys running to the media to spill the beans on how the Falcons didn’t listen to you. I am sure their are other guys that he advocated for that didn’t work out because the draft is a inexact science.

9 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

He claims Quinn took all the credit for the defensive/pass rush turnaround last year. I have not seen Quinn take any of the credit other than for moving a couple of responsibilities around and giving Morris and Ulbrich all the credit for defensive improvement . 

Chuck says he was done dirty, but I dont see it that way. Until any team decides to make him a coach I can only conclude that for all of his knowledge and expertise, he is deemed as a potential liability, hence organizations value his input, but have to keep him at arms length. I dont fault the Falcons when 31 other franchises arent knocking at his door either to get him on payroll.

Some people are just better suited to consult and keep it moving. Smith seems like a good guy, and a real dude, but he comes across as a little cocky and arrogant.

Coaching is more than just teaching technique and Xs and Os by the way. Smith likely could teach our staff a ton about pass rush, but that doesn't mean he needs to be in charge of professional athletes 365 days a year. That's a different set of skills. You get ALL the criticism from fans media, other coaches, the GM, and Shareholders, but you still have to show up to work and lead a group of young men to achieve THEIR best potential as a professional athlete on and off the field and maybe never get any credit publicly. Thats a different animal of a human. And he is upset he didnt get a shout out last season, but you want to coach?

There is always 2 sides. There have been 4 Head coaches for the Falcons since Smith retired in 2000 and none of them brought him on to staff. At some point you stop pointing fingers man.

Yes, there is always two sides. I could see the perspective of the team in not wanting to hire him as a coach, and frankly that's 100% the team's prerogative. Quinn does not have to explain why.

But let's be completely honest about this. From Chuck's perspective, he never did come out and say anything publicly about the process. He says he did so now because someone asked him on his medium. It sounded to me that he was more upset about getting what seemed to be a run around and the team not being completely straight forward with him. It sounds to me like a former player who wants the team to win and was upset about the run around.

So, I can see it from both sides.

Probably more of Arthur Blank not wanting Chuck Smith onboard. Chuck went the media route after he retired, not the coaching route. Most former players kind of have to make up their mind early which way to go. The media route can ruffle feathers and subsequently close doors to some other offers organizationally. Also, Blank didn’t own the team when Smith played for the Falcons. His loyalty may just not be there. All speculation of course, but then again Smith is the one talking so he opens himself to it.