Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jerry Maguire

Chuck Smith Talks Draft and Opens Up About Trying to be a Falcons' Coach

I was watching this live and I am just going to say, if you have ever wondered why Chuck Smith never got a coaching job with the Falcons, he "opens up" about why after being asked in the chat. This will definitely be controversial. This part is closer towards the end. (50 min.)

Here's a tidbit: he says he was a part of the second half turnaround last season.

Go to the 50 minute mark if you don’t care about everything else. Right before he did mention Clowney and why no one is picking him up. Said Clowney is trending sideways, hasn’t gotten any better. Actually trending slightly down because he can’t rush the passer.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Maguire said:

It's a little disturbing if true. What about the part where he told them that Aaron Donald was special?!?!?

That isn’t earth shattering. Donald was the Outland and Bednarik Award winner. He straight up demolished the Senior Bowl. We picked 6th that year and we needed a OT bad that year. But that was the year some wanted us to trade up for Clowney and was hoping Mack felled to us. A couple fans was on the Donald train at 6. But it was only a couple. He went to 13 that year 

Just now, youngbloodz said:

That isn’t earth shattering. Donald was the Outland and Bednarik Award winner. He straight up demolished the Senior Bowl. We picked 6th that year and we needed a OT bad that year. But that was the year some wanted us to trade up for Clowney and was hoping Mack felled to us. A couple fans was on the Donald train at 6. But it was only a couple. He went to 13 that year 

Yeah, that's not really earth shattering and not the disturbing part I was speaking about. But, It is a little frustrating that the Falcons have had such little success with the pass rush and have kind of blown Chuck Smith off.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Maguire said:

Yeah, that's not really earth shattering and not the disturbing part I was speaking about. But, It is a little frustrating that the Falcons have had such little success with the pass rush and have kind of blown Chuck Smith off.

Yeah seems like DQ is too stubborn to see it. And it seems like he has a little snake in him. If what Chuck says is true. We only have his side

Just now, youngbloodz said:

Yeah seems like DQ is too stubborn to see it. And it seems like he has a little snake in him. If what Chuck says is true. We only have his side

Always good to keep in mind. Why I always say, "if true," and just repeat what someone claims. Always two sides of the story and always more than one perspective. Chuck does know pass rush, though.

Posted (edited)

Regardless of whatever other details exist, let's not pretend that 12 other teams didn't pass on Donald also. Come on. Jake was a very safe pick at a position the Falcons needed. You can't miss on your top 10 picks, and squad did their job. I'm still salty Khalil Mack went one pick before us though. I've never wanted a recruit more.

Chuck was super duper high on Weaver in this draft also. Let's see what happens now that he's gone in the 5th rd or whatever.

Edited by AutumnEffect

Man it's a disgrace how we treat a falcons legend like that, I really wish we had him in the falcons pay roll over Bryant Young and Bryan Cox. Wish we listened to him on Aaron Donald, or Ngakoue. 

1 hour ago, AutumnEffect said:

Regardless of whatever other details exist, let's not pretend that 12 other teams didn't pass on Donald also. Come on. Jake was a very safe pick at a position the Falcons needed. You can't miss on your top 10 picks, and squad did their job. I'm still salty Khalil Mack went one pick before us though. I've never wanted a recruit more.

Chuck was super duper high on Weaver in this draft also. Let's see what happens now that he's gone in the 5th rd or whatever.

I’ll be very interested to follow Weaver.  I’ve been high on him since October but when I said we should take him in the 4th TATF said he was trash.

My bet: 7-10 sack guy each year 

1 hour ago, AutumnEffect said:

Donald was not even the rams first choice

It’s really this simple. Anybody with eyes could see Aaron Donald extremely dominant on the football field when he came out. It was so obvious. Sam Baker was just so bad they felt we had to go elsewhere. Guess that just goes into that whole debate, do you pass up on a better player for “NEED”? 

35 minutes ago, HaRdH3ad said:

It’s really this simple. Anybody with eyes could see Aaron Donald extremely dominant on the football field when he came out. It was so obvious. Sam Baker was just so bad they felt we had to go elsewhere. Guess that just goes into that whole debate, do you pass up on a better player for “NEED”? 

If it was so obvious, he would have went in the top 5 or even top 10, and he didn't.  There was a few fans here clamoring for him here, including me; but most of the message board experts called him small

Posted (edited)

Last season, I watched every episode of the AJC Falcons News Now. Now that I'm watching THIS video...I have to say that he BASICALLY said all of this on the AJC show.

He hinted at it and talked in depth about how he tried to sell Aaron Donald and Yannick. He also talked about training De'Vondre Campbell. 

What makes me think his story is true, is that he literally presented a PowerPoint presentation for what he'd do if he was in charge of the pass rush. Some of what he talked about (splits etc) was incorporated...

Edited by Bunchy Carter

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AutumnEffect said:

i'm just glad we didn't take that tackle that the rams took at 2.  Was it the Rams?  

Edited by Mescalito