NFL gives update on potential for 2020 season

k-train

NFL%20178x142%20DarkGrey.png
ROGER GOODELLC, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
8369.jpg

Sports Business Daily reports the NFL considers Oct. 15 the drop-dead date for a 16-game season that could still be completed by February. 

Oct. 15 would be Week 6 under normal circumstances. John Ourand and Ben Fischer report the league would strongly want any 16-game season to be completed by the end of February. In that scenario, regular season bye weeks would be eliminated as well as the traditional off week between the conference championship games and Super Bowl. For now, the league is still planning to release a normal schedule by May 7, but it will be constructed in such a way that allows easy reconfiguration. Ourand and Fischer's entire article is worth a click. 

9 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Good! I need to know what the schedule is so that I can plan my 50th B-Day trip for a game.  (November 23) Can't wait to get back to the ATL! Hopefully, we can tailgate with some of the board members.

Mine is the 24th and I'll be 36. Trying to plan a trip myself

JMO Business as usual and really no news except how they might deal with one particular scenario in my opinion.  Although THANK YOU to the OP for sharing, any news is better than nothing at all. 

The thing I am left wondering is wouldn't it require at the very least a waiver being signed by the players union and the players themselves preventing them from suing the NFL if they were to contract the Covid-19 virus while playing considering  the recommended guidelines as of now that do not recommend such gatherings? Those are different state by state where states have been opened. And they are expected to change by those dates, but maybe not. 

The NFL is a NOT FOR PROFIT ENTITY meaning it pays no taxes, would that not make it bound by FEDERAL guidelines that you and I or other businesses are not bound to follow? 

I suspect the NFL has enough clauses considering all the hits and health issues that go on  where it would have a multiple clauses  when joining the league to prevent such law suites to begin with? 

But then again,  Putting players in a known dangerous environment I could see how that could end up in court very quickly. 

My Point : Just because someone says so does not make it so. "Cue the Picard Pics soon more than likely". 

I hope there is Football, but not at the expense of any one persons life regardless and that is my opinion on this whole subject. I absolutely LOVE THE GAME & THE NFL!

But there are more important things to consider if it does not happen. Just my opinions here, and questions like the rest of you. 

And of course : "I AM NOT ECHOING NOTHING YOU DO NOT ALREADY KNOW I AM SURE", but somebody needed to say it, ask it, might as well be me. 

So flame away if it upsets you!

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by WinningIsTheOnlyOption

Im interested if players salary will be greatly affected if they do not play and what new language will be added in current and future contracts in this situation. I think owners if they are going to be in the hook for lots of guaranteed money and injury salary? 

I think it will likely be the case and depending on contracts guys with lots if guaranteed money will not mind losing game checks but this is not the case for most of the players and many if them will want to play. What about franchise tagged players? And rookies on there final year what will be there reason for not wanting to play or vice versa.

Looking at all the questions I think players are going to want to play overall. Owners I think will want to have the season. That leaves super stars with lots of guaranteed money maybe in the other field. I don't think they have much leverage. Especially because tv revenue is the big money for the league over 15 billion. 

To me I see unless the government shuts them down. I don't see a knee jerk reaction like when covid first came out

Edited by metatron360

11 minutes ago, metatron360 said:

Im interested if players salary will be greatly affected if they do not play and what new language will be added in current and future contracts in this situation. I think owners if they are going to be in the hook for lots of guaranteed money and injury salary? 

I think it will likely be the case and depending on contracts guys with lots if guaranteed money will not mind losing game checks but this is not the case for most of the players and many if them will want to play. What about franchise tagged players? And rookies on there final year what will be there reason for not wanting to play or vice versa.

Looking at all the questions I think players are going to want to play overall. Owners I think will want to have the season. That leaves super stars with lots of guaranteed money maybe in the other field. I don't think they have much leverage. Especially because tv revenue is the big money for the league over 15 billion. 

To me I see unless the government shuts them down. I don't see a knee jerk reaction like when covid first came out

Definitely a ton of questions surrounding contracts, especially in the event of a shortened season... like how would they decide the effect on ERFA, RFA, UFA statuses, accrued seasons, etc.? I'm assuming there are some sort of provisions in place already for work stoppages, so maybe that would be applied here if the season gets cut short or doesn't happen.

Gotta agree that players probably want to play considering how many of them likely have performance-based incentives & escalators built into their deals.

4 minutes ago, k-train said:

Definitely a ton of questions surrounding contracts, especially in the event of a shortened season... like how would they decide the effect on ERFA, RFA, UFA statuses, accrued seasons, etc.? I'm assuming there are some sort of provisions in place already for work stoppages, so maybe that would be applied here if the season gets cut short or doesn't happen.

Gotta agree that players probably want to play considering how many of them likely have performance-based incentives & escalators built into their deals.

Especially because of the tv revenue I think you can monitor your 53 man roster relatively well with special guidelines like players self quarantine and clubs providing services for there families etc. You can't keep a player at home but having players opt in to special conditions. I can see the season being played with clubs paying for a variety of services and daily testing. There are only 32 clubs unlike other sports models. 

Don’t get your hopes up.  The Western States Pact isn’t likely to allow any reopenings until there is either no virus or a vaccine is available.  Nevada just joined WA, OR, CA, and CO today.  That means SF, LAR, LAC, LVR, SEA, and DEN would not be able to host home games.  I Have a bad feeling they want to drag this into next spring.  Cal St Fullerton is already making plans for a virtual fall semester.  Once the universities go virtual, the high schools through elementary schools will follow.

3 minutes ago, coastiemike said:

Don’t get your hopes up.  The Western States Pact isn’t likely to allow any reopenings until there is either no virus or a vaccine is available.  Nevada just joined WA, OR, CA, and CO today.  That means SF, LAR, LAC, LVR, SEA, and DEN would not be able to host home games.  I Have a bad feeling they want to drag this into next spring.  Cal St Fullerton is already making plans for a virtual fall semester.  Once the universities go virtual, the high schools through elementary schools will follow.

Yes but would those states not allow fanless games with just players? Blank as already suggested that. It seems like owners are on board. Can those states stop teams from playing in private arenas? And if so what compensation would the NFL ask for if those states closed there business? 

2 hours ago, metatron360 said:

Yes but would those states not allow fanless games with just players? Blank as already suggested that. It seems like owners are on board. Can those states stop teams from playing in private arenas? And if so what compensation would the NFL ask for if those states closed there business? 

I don’t think the governor of California will allow it.  Considering there would be more than 100 players, coaches, etc... I don’t think he would sign off on it.  He has pretty much lost his mind, as has the governor of NV.