Jared Pinkney UDFA TE

Jared Pinkney is a nice get. Solid all around TE.  He is slow as molasses but he can catch, block, is surrprisingly athletic despite his speed and has some rumble. His 2018 yr put him on the map. Then in 2019 he had a wrist injury combined with poor QB play that affected all the passing game.  Solid solid get. 

Edited by hollywood

Earlier this year he was in a lot of the draft simulators as a late Day2/Day3 type guy. I saw a lot of TE's drop in these simulators over the course of a few months. I hadn't kept up with the TE market much since we got the guy from Baltimore so I was surprised to see his name as an UDFA signing for us.

59 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

That's what I thought. He looks at least as fast as Hooper to me. I likey.

Yeah I agree he looks fine in the highlights, game speed that is... but he was really slow at combine: 4.9.  ( Hooper was a 4.7 guy at combine).  I'm not complaining though, I really like him and I think he game speed is faster than the 40 test. 

12 minutes ago, Doug Carlton said:

Dude is HUGE. Match up nightmare in the 3 wide against dime coverage where a db has to tackle him. Love to see him punish some NFC South Defenders.

I was amazed he went undrafted. Almost as surprising as how far Kenny Willekes fell.

I love his hands, his athleticism and his rumble!! He could be a sneaky good get for us. 

Yeah, that 4.96 40 time and his general lack of explosive athleticism hurt him.  Looking back a few years when TEs weren't expected to be acrobatic pass catchers, and you can see his value in short yardage, 2 TE, goal line and run blocking situations.

11. TE JARED PINKNEY TO THE ATLANTA FALCONS

PFF Big Board Rank: 170

Pinkney was one of the biggest fallers when it comes to draft stock in all of college football this past season. Not only did he see a massive drop in production at Vanderbilt (770 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in 2018 to 233/2 in 2019), but he put up a disastrous 4.96 40-yard dash time in Indianapolis. Getting past all that, he is still a big body who has route-running nuance you like to see. He may never be a featured tight end, but this is a solid move by Atlanta to continue to attack potential fits at the position after losing Austin Hooper in free agency.