Obi Melifonwu Released

MayorWest13

17 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

I remember that name being thrown around by mockdrafters here. 

Also on a sidenote, Belichek has been terrrrrrible drafting secondary players in the first 3 rounds. If if was TD bringing in those duds, the tears here would have washed away corona.

I know obi was drafted by the raiders, but still 

I think Oakland drafted Obi

22 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I think Oakland drafted Obi

Ye, i mentioned that on the bottom.

But js the message board draft experts would have drafted him. Another example showing no one knows how any of the draft picks will turn out to be. Not Belichek, not Kiper, and definitely not message board member #2576

He was a taleted college player and 2nd rd pick. But not even Bill could get the best out of him

The Pats took Kyle Dugger in the 2nd round, which is why they're cutting Melifonwu.

Interestingly, both were 2nd round picks, both have good size & great athleticism. The knock on Obi is never getting the mental part together enough to match the size/speed traits. Given that Dugger's college opponents were basically Black Mountain Basketweaving College & Bumf##k State University, he's far from a lock to become a guy who gets the mental aspect of what it takes to be successful in the NFL.

I'm curious to see if they're ultimately just swapping out Obi for a slightly younger but also slightly less athletically gifted, slightly smaller, and significantly less experienced version of Melifonwu.

• Patriots released S Obi Melifonwu.

Melifonwu appeared in two games with the Patriots in 2018. The freakishly-athletic safety hasn't managed to stay healthy enough to find the field throughout his short career, appearing in just seven total games since being drafted in the second round of the 2017 draft.

Apr 27, 2020, 11:44 AM ET

•