Trading Ridley

• 9 months later...

The only reason I would entertain this is because once Julio's contract is off the books we'll essentially be replacing it with Ridley's. I love Ridley, but having a WR on a mega contract isn't the best way to completely rebuild a team.

On 4/27/2020 at 11:02 AM, KRUNKuno said:

weirdos.

I will say while his stats are great, Ridley needs to take a step forward.  He’s no heir apparent.

Step forward yes...but we have to be realistic with ourselves. We had Roddy, the GOAT Falcons wideout get replaced by Julio, a future HoF, so we have very skewed optics on how a wideout transition should look.

Ridley is a number 1, but he still runs backwards too much and is softer than the previous Roddy/Sanu/Julio wideouts.

His route running and speed/hand combo are #1 attributes though. He just would need a valid #2, no offense to Gage but he is a #3 in this league at the moment. 

4 hours ago, Power I said:

The only reason I would entertain this is because once Julio's contract is off the books we'll essentially be replacing it with Ridley's. I love Ridley, but having a WR on a mega contract isn't the best way to completely rebuild a team.

This.  I guess they will have to decide who is irreplaceable and a core player.  The Patriots and Saints both do this.  Pay the core, the rest are just puzzle pieces that can be interchanged whenever as long as they meet the scheme.

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

This.  I guess they will have to decide who is irreplaceable and a core player.  The Patriots and Saints both do this.  Pay the core, the rest are just puzzle pieces that can be interchanged whenever as long as they meet the scheme.

Key is you have to draft well too. Pats got lucky with Brady in the 5th and was cheap. Saints with Graham, Kamara, and Thomas. You can't pay a core and draft scrubs and succeed

4 hours ago, Power I said:

The completely rebuilding teams are usually the bottom feeders who are consistent losers. They rebuild, suck, rebuild rinse and repeat. Smart HC and GMs plan well and move pieces around to win.

Gonna say what I said in another one of these threads a few days ago...

You use the 5th year option on Ridley next season (2022)

You use the franchise tag on him in 2023.

You tag & trade in 2024 if you think you can get a nice haul for him. Otherwise you let him walk in free agency & recoup a nice comp pick in 2025.

The one thing you do not do is re-sign him to a longterm deal.

4 minutes ago, k-train said:

Gonna say what I said in another one of these threads a few days ago...

You use the 5th year option on Ridley next season (2022)

You use the franchise tag on him in 2023.

You tag & trade in 2024 if you think you can get a nice haul for him. Otherwise you let him walk in free agency & recoup a nice comp pick in 2025.

The one thing you do not do is re-sign him to a longterm deal.

Man I’m not tagging him in 2023 that’s a really prohibitive cost.If the FO can’t decide if he’s a key piece going foward Ridley gets traded before then.

If he is key like a Julio Jones money is coming his way.

We still have Rid on the cheap for a bit longer.  His production & talent is undeniable.  I simply would like to see the Falcons include him as a core player that we plan on keeping around.  After all, on the offensive side of the ball the cupboard will be bare soon & a few big contracts will be dropping off the books... Ryan, Hoo, Mack among the most notable. 

So the skill positions on O will be rather barren once Hoo is gone as our RB talent is pretty shallow.  I think we signed Hurst to a reasonable deal so for me, investing in Crid is a smart move & it won't necessarily need to be a kings ransom like JJ anyways.  

When I consider all things & try to be logical about it, it's a smart investment for me to keep Ridley.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Man I’m not tagging him in 2023 that’s a really prohibitive cost.If the FO can’t decide if he’s a key piece going foward Ridley gets traded before then.

If he is key like a Julio Jones money is coming his way.

Fairly decent chance Ryan, Julio, and possibly Matthews cap numbers aren't on the books in 2023, so absorbing the tag on Ridley likely wouldn't be a big deal. Let's say that's the year we have a new QB starting... It would provide us the ability to keep a solid WR on board for them to throw to during their first season as a starter. It also keeps us from getting into another Julio-esqe situation where we commit huge cap numbers to a WR in their 30's who despite being a beast seems to have some issues staying healthy.

2 minutes ago, k-train said:

Fairly decent chance Ryan, Julio, and possibly Matthews cap numbers aren't on the books in 2023, so absorbing the tag on Ridley likely wouldn't be a big deal. Let's say that's the year we have a new QB starting... It would provide us the ability to keep a solid WR on board for them to throw to during their first season as a starter. It also keeps us from getting into another Julio-esqe situation where we commit huge cap numbers to a WR in their 30's who despite being a beast seems to have some issues staying healthy.

But surely you’d have made a decision on if he was a contract guy or not by then.If he isn’t move him on.Sure all that moneys off the books but it would be smarter in my eyes to have an idea of who you want to build around before having to pay or let him.

Me I’m not hung up on position if a guy is playing at a high level like Julio is I got no problem paying a guy like that because I know what he’s bringing to the table on and off the field.

Julio will be a huge reason why Ridley is progressing like he is in the coaching nuance and advice stakes.

On 4/27/2020 at 10:52 AM, ya_boi_j said:

Ridley ain't going anywhere

Nor is Ryan.  The only person that Might be subject to trade is Julio, but not for the purpose of moving up in the draft.  People we do NOT have a QB problem here, at least not in the near future. Trading up would be the height of stupidity.  If anything, we trade DOWN to fix the real holes in this team.