Jump to content

Matt Ryan will become the Dan Marino of Atlanta...


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not an apologist for Thomas by any means but he has put two rosters together (2012 and 2016) under two different coaches in 12 years that should have won Suoer Bowls if not for boneheaded coaching

K

You heard it here first !! Or did somebody already say it ?? Blank hasn't fired Dimitrioff yet so he's not serious about winning imo. MATT RYAN WILL BE ATLANTA'S OWN DAN MARINO IN YOUR LIFET

22 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Matt Ryan isn't even the best Falcons QB. That honor goes to Steve Bartkowski. If Bartkowski had gotten to play in a modern offense, with modern rules protecting his knees and his receivers? Matt Ryan would be watching from the bench, guarding the Gatorade.

And if my cat had thumbs, I wouldn’t have to get up and feed it every morning.  
 

Bartkowski had 3 great seasons.  Ryan has 10+ to date.  Ryan’s historic comparable is Fouts, and Fouts was waaay better than Bart over their full careers.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I really don't get why people put TD down so much. Do they not realize he was largely responsible for putting together the 2016 roster that should have won a SuperBowl. It's not his fault they squandered it away.

Technically the team AND the Coach (and as a result his staff)was because if him. So he gets credit for Shanny being here too, because I know thats the next comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Matt Ryan isn't even the best Falcons QB. That honor goes to Steve Bartkowski. If Bartkowski had gotten to play in a modern offense, with modern rules protecting his knees and his receivers? Matt Ryan would be watching from the bench, guarding the Gatorade.

LOL...,You need to get back on your meds.

Bart is a casual friend of mine, and I assure you even he would call BS on this one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Ryan's no slouch, but I agree that Marino was a far superior QB.

 

Marino is possibly the best pure passer ever. He was amazing to watch just throwing the ball.

 

He would've put Brees' stats to shame if he had played in this era. Probably would've gotten a SB or 2 as well.

There were a couple of games him and Dan Fouts went ham that were just amazing. I liked Marino, but Fouts will always be my fav player of all time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some QB's (Eli? Roethlisberger? Fromm?) have benefited from being on great teams while actually being mediocre QBs's

Other QB's like Ryan and Marino have suffered from being on poor teams while actually being great QB's

Few could have endured the hits that Ryan has taken without significant playing time missed, few could have played offense so intensely to offset his team's defenses giving up so many points, few could have put up with the changes in OC's (and coaching overall) that have occurred, and few could have maintained such a pristine off-field life as Ryan has over a decade plus yet still put numbers at the top nearly every year.

Ryan will not truly be appreciated until he retires or is replaced and we spend years trying to get settled on a new QB (name one QB that Miami has had since Marino that has been considered good or long-lasting-will Tua be it?).

Link to post
Share on other sites

OR, you know, he becomes the Elway of Atlanta and wins back to back super bowls late in his career.

Fowler, Grady and M. Davison finally give the defense an effective  pass rush. Takk and Cominsky help out too.

Oline comes together, Lindstrum and McGary have another year under their belt, Matthews and Mack are still solid, between Hennessy, Gano,& Brown, LG is handled, Gurley gives them the red zone weapon they haven't had since Turner, with the added benefit of being able to catch a pass.

Offense smokes teams, forces opponents to play catch up, lets the front 4 of the defense tee off on the  QB.

Age catches up to Brees and Brady, panthers are a hot mess, Falcons win  the division, then go on a playoff run that finally gets the taste of a certain-previous-game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned out of the collective mouths of Falcons fans. Then, in Elway like fashion, they do it again the next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Yeah, Fouts was awesome in his own right.

Fouts was doing things nobody could imagine and did it for years.  He broke the NFL single season passing record three straight years....in 80’ he broke it by 700 yards which is staggering

In 1982 he was on a torrid pace thru 9 games, averaging over 320 ypg before the strike ended it.  He was on pace for 5,120 yards

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, falconidae said:

OR, you know, he becomes the Elway of Atlanta and wins back to back super bowls late in his career.

Fowler, Grady and M. Davison finally give the defense an effective  pass rush. Takk and Cominsky help out too.

Oline comes together, Lindstrum and McGary have another year under their belt, Matthews and Mack are still solid, between Hennessy, Gano,& Brown, LG is handled, Gurley gives them the red zone weapon they haven't had since Turner, with the added benefit of being able to catch a pass.

Offense smokes teams, forces opponents to play catch up, lets the front 4 of the defense tee off on the  QB.

Age catches up to Brees and Brady, panthers are a hot mess, Falcons win  the division, then go on a playoff run that finally gets the taste of a certain-previous-game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned out of the collective mouths of Falcons fans. Then, in Elway like fashion, they do it again the next year.

It could happen. That Denver D wasn’t flashy, but had a bunch of bad azzes like Davidson/Grady/Bailey/Davison et al.on their DL.

Neal coming back healthy would help a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, falconidae said:

OR, you know, he becomes the Elway of Atlanta and wins back to back super bowls late in his career.

Fowler, Grady and M. Davison finally give the defense an effective  pass rush. Takk and Cominsky help out too.

Oline comes together, Lindstrum and McGary have another year under their belt, Matthews and Mack are still solid, between Hennessy, Gano,& Brown, LG is handled, Gurley gives them the red zone weapon they haven't had since Turner, with the added benefit of being able to catch a pass.

Offense smokes teams, forces opponents to play catch up, lets the front 4 of the defense tee off on the  QB.

Age catches up to Brees and Brady, panthers are a hot mess, Falcons win  the division, then go on a playoff run that finally gets the taste of a certain-previous-game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned out of the collective mouths of Falcons fans. Then, in Elway like fashion, they do it again the next year.

Bingo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Vandy said:

It could happen. That Denver D wasn’t flashy, but had a bunch of bad azzes like Davidson/Grady/Bailey/Davison et al.on their DL.

Neal coming back healthy would help a lot.

What got Denver over the hump was Davis, Elway had never had that kind of run game before. Think for Ryan the equivalent would be a DLine that could get pressure by itself.

 

Yeah, Neal coming back healthy, if even just for the last half of the year and the playoffs would be huge. Another wild card is Cominsky taking a big step forward second year. Cominsky, Grady, M. Davison & Fowler could become a really good really young  front four.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, falconidae said:

What got Denver over the hump was Davis, Elway had never had that kind of run game before. Think for Ryan the equivalent would be a DLine that could get pressure by itself.

 

Yeah, Neal coming back healthy, if even just for the last half of the year and the playoffs would be huge. Another wild card is Cominsky taking a big step forward second year. Cominsky, Grady, M. Davison & Fowler could become a really good really young  front four.

Yup...

T. Davis and an elite defense are what got Elway his rings

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

 

Ryan's no slouch, but I agree that Marino was a far superior QB.

 

Marino is possibly the best pure passer ever. He was amazing to watch just throwing the ball.

 

He would've put Brees' stats to shame if he had played in this era. Probably would've gotten a SB or 2 as well.

Preach on brother....Marino was the shet ....one of the greatest ever. Who you taking - down 3 pts he  has the ball with 2.00 minutes left

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Matt Ryan isn't even the best Falcons QB. That honor goes to Steve Bartkowski. If Bartkowski had gotten to play in a modern offense, with modern rules protecting his knees and his receivers? Matt Ryan would be watching from the bench, guarding the Gatorade.

Bart had a better arm than Matt for sure. Those are the days I became a Falcons fan for life. I'll never forget....."Bartkowski.....to Jenkins........Touchdown!!!!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

Bart had a better arm than Matt for sure. Those are the days I became a Falcons fan for life. I'll never forget....."Bartkowski.....to Jenkins........Touchdown!!!!"

Bartkowski could throw 100 yards 


 

NO.1 ONCE UPON A TIME Cal’s Bartkowski was top pick in’75

  • Jerry McDonald
  • PUBLISHED: April 17, 2005 at 4:50 a.m. | UPDATED: August 17, 2016 at 8:22 a.m.
  • Categories:News

THREE DECADES before the micro-analysis of Aaron Rodgers, there was the comparatively casual pursuit of Steve Bartkowski.

Legend has it Bartkowski, in his physical prime at

6-foot-4 and 215 pounds, could throw the ball 100 yards. Bartkowski said he threw it 103 yards on a dare preceding a high school all-star game. He also reached 100 yards once before a practice at Cal. White and former Cal assistant Paul Hackett believe it to be true. His agent, Logan Steinberg corroborates the story:

“When he was in college, Steve once stood in the end zone and threw the ball 100 yards to the other end zone,” Steinberg said in a video interview recorded for Bartkowski’s induction. “I don’t think there is anybody in the NFL today that has the arm strength Steve had.”

Yet in Bartkowski’s senior year, less than three months before the draft, his golden arm was damaged goods. 

“I could get it maybe 50 or 60 yards, but not without a lot of pain or anguish,” he said. 

The Falcons, taking note of Cal’s surprising 7-3-1 record and Bartkowski’s 2,580 yards passing, either didn’t know or didn’t care.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eastbaytimes.com/2005/04/17/no-1-once-upon-a-time-cals-bartkowski-was-top-pick-in75/amp/

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Outmyfalconmind said:

Why are you here?

I'm a Falcon fan from probably 1975. I don't think Ryan is a great QB. He's good not great.  He's had Julio Jones during the period of 2014-2019 in which Jones was  probably the best WR in the league. I see a lot of slants in which the ball does not hit him in stride. I see floaters that Jones has to slow down for too many times to count. Jones would probably have a 2000 yard season with a QB that doesn't underthrow him.

I think the Falcons win 5 to 8 games in 2020. They will have to trade up to get an elite QB prospect in the draft. I think we are just treading water with Ryan at the helm. That's my opinion though and you are free to disagree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

You heard it here first !!

Or did somebody already say it ?? :lol:

Blank hasn't fired Dimitrioff yet so he's not serious about winning imo. MATT RYAN WILL BE ATLANTA'S OWN DAN MARINO IN YOUR LIFETIME LOL. Go flame that

7th best winning percentage since 2008 and 8th most wins since 2008 including playoffs. But TD is terrible and has no idea how to build a good team. :doh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

You have to include 2010.  We were the #1 seed.  Pittsburgh played GB in the SB.  We beat GB and lost in OT to the Steelers that year in the regular season.

  Clearly they could beat anyone that year

Lost to the Steelers in OT in a game started by Dennis Dixon and the Falcons didn't score a TD. Hardly says the Falcons would have been capable of beating the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...