Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ADAMSVILLE GYM

AJ Terrell film breakdown (19:00 minutes)

He is a good player who checks a lot of boxes for us.

I did not feel like   we should have went corner in the first but I do not fault the pick.

I can disagree with taking the position but still like the player.... Having him and Oliver on the outside and Sheffield  in the slot should  be   a nice trio that has  good size and speed.  having Neal back healthy or a viable backup would help them significantly.

Anybody here willing to say Terrell will be an upgrade to Trufant? Reason I say that is because his coverage is much more stickier, he closes the gap much faster, and he's more physical. Not knocking Trufant completely, but he just wasn't the same player after his injuries and that is understandable.  

This! I made sure to watch every snap of that LSU game and like my guy in the video says, "sheeple" talk about 3 plays but go quiet on the reps he won against Chase.

This kid looks just like Henderson on film but is widely considered more physical and a better tackler.

I picked Terrell in several of my mock drafts on the PFF site but always in the 2nd round. I have no problem with him as a prospect. Im also a Chaisson guy, so value-wise I always wanted Chaisson at 16 and the best CB available at 47, which I thought could be Terrell if we were lucky, or my second favorite which was Arnette (who had a 3rd round grade by experts but who I would've taken at 47 easily) . I did not see a drop off between any of the "2nd tier" CBs, but I go off the experts grades and assumed 1 of those 2 guys would have been available and I would have been happy to get them there.

The FO apparently prioritized CB, and were not going to wait and take the leftovers at 47. They grabbed the best CB on their board and took a chance that another needs position would fall to 47, which ended up happening with Davidson. And good thing they did because Arnette went right after Terrell. Im not mad at them for getting their guy.

I liked Diggs and Fulton but had a gut feeling we werent going to be high on them. Johnson and Gladney were the crowd favorites around here that I only got in to because of peer pressure.

So, again. My only disappointment was the value for the pick, which I quickly got over because the Falcons do this to me every year in the 1st round. But just as a prospect, Im really happy about Terrell. He is as good as any CB in this class.

Just now, E. T. said:

Anybody here willing to say Terrell will be an upgrade to Trufant? Reason I say that is because his coverage is much more stickier, he closes the gap much faster, and he's more physical. Not knocking Trufant completely, but he just wasn't the same player after his injuries and that is understandable.  

I'll admit he's sticky. He's gotta make the play though. Too often he's in the area and doesn't stop the play.

Just now, E. T. said:

I don't know... Tru's first few years were fantastic.

Terrell will have big shoes to fill  to match that

1 minute ago, E. T. said:

This always has to be stated. (Which version of Trufant) Because original Trufant was sticky and physical. Post-injury Trufant didn't want to mix it up as much and gave ground away to everyone. 
 I dont want to claim Terrell will be better because he is a rookie and he will lose a few battles and everyone is going to over react. But overall, I think he can be trusted out the gates to at least replicate Trufants production for just a fraction of the cost. I think by year 2 or 3 Terrell will have made a name for himself especially if we can get some post season success as a team.

5 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Taller Robert Alford.

I loved Alford but even I disagree with this. Because I know what people are trying to say when they make the comparison.

Lets see about the flags before making this claim. I counted a few PI's on Okudah that werent called in college that they will flag in the NFL. All things being fair. Henderson is the only CB prospect that wasnt super grabby, but he also gives up the most free releases and gets beat on slants often because of it.

10 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

I loved Alford but even I disagree with this. Because I know what people are trying to say when they make the comparison.

Lets see about the flags before making this claim. I counted a few PI's on Okudah that werent called in college that they will flag in the NFL. All things being fair. Henderson is the only CB prospect that wasnt super grabby, but he also gives up the most free releases and gets beat on slants often because of it.

I liked Alford too.  Very competitive.  Made plays.  But very handsy and it would get him in trouble a lot.  Hopefully Whitt and Morris break that habit.  I love a physical corner, but physical doesn’t mean hand fight and grab all the way down the field.  That would be my only knock on him

19 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I liked Alford too.  Very competitive.  Made plays.  But very handsy and it would get him in trouble a lot.  Hopefully Whitt and Morris break that habit.  I love a physical corner, but physical doesn’t mean hand fight and grab all the way down the field.  That would be my only knock on him

Alford was real obvious holding and tugging on WRs during the route. He never grew out of that for some reason. A lot of CBs in the league do subtly grab and "hold" but not be obvious about it. Sherman does it a lot. That's just being a good corner. 

Hoping Terrell takes the necessary steps to improve at point of the catch. That's where he struggles. 

Terrell doesn't seem to take a lot of missteps and is silky smooth with his technique. Definitely gotta improve at point of catch but he's got the tools to get better.

I get Trufant regressing after the pec injury but there's no excuse for his constant misteps in his technique and never learning how to play the ball. He definitely coasted a lot more after receiving his fat contract. Just rubbed me the wrong way. 

10 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Thanks for posting this. Nice breakdown and entertaining. “In that 5 yard cushion he gonna beat you the hel* up”... lol

The narrator is hilarious I could watch this 1000 times and stil laugh

35 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

Terrell doesn't seem to take a lot of missteps and is silky smooth with his technique. Definitely gotta improve at point of catch but he's got the tools to get better.

I get Trufant regressing after the pec injury but there's no excuse for his constant misteps in his technique and never learning how to play the ball. He definitely coasted a lot more after receiving his fat contract. Just rubbed me the wrong way. 

The problem with Alford was he was a cover corner. When you are playing 5-10 yards from the WR. Any contact or grabbing becomes obvious. You see guys Lattimore grabbing but they are physical from LOS. Terrell obviously has to learn the nuances but if he sticks to his WR and turn his head. He probably won’t get many flags.

11 minutes ago, jetpac said:

I was done soon as I heard “subtle push off”... that’s called veteran saavy in the NFL... kids not a 1st end CB we reached end of story. 

What does NFL veteran savvy have to do with a college cornerback? But sure, keep making the point of how good Chase is and for us that watched the play, we will continue to acknowledge the push. People jump all over him for being “handsy” but when he gets pushed that’s just some good ole NFL savvy.

Your trying to hate on the pick but you have no basis to ride with. I haven’t said one word about our draft picks because people go nuts about them for no reason but some of this junk is flat out ignorant.

Legitimately tell us why he’s a reach and don’t base it off of someone else’s ranking.  Everyone lives with the saying if there’s smoke, there’s fire. Word was Saints we’re looking to move up and Oakland was in on AJ at 19, there’s your smoke and that smoke tells you people valued him much more than some dudes rankings.

Posted (edited)

I’m not trying to hate on the pick, I hate the pick. Just like I hated the Oliver pick two years ago and the Collins pick before that, getting the theme here? These guys aren’t playmakers, they just fit the mold of taller and fast CBs. Terrell is a project, you don’t go project in the first round. Can’t wait to see y’all’s reactions in here when you realize what most of us are telling you. 

Edited by jetpac

I’m not trying to hate on the pick, I hate the pick. Just like I hated the Oliver pick two years ago and the Collins pick before that, getting the theme here? These guys aren’t playmakers, they just fit the mold of taller and fast CBs. Terrell is a project, you don’t go project in the first round. Can’t wait to see y’all’s reactions in here when you realize what most of us are telling you. 

What exactly about him makes him a project? Because you obviously don’t know what a project is lol

None of this made any sense at all. Do you even uderstand football?