Jump to content

Should the Falcons try to extend Alex Mack?


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, k-train said:

Lindstrom has a whopping 5 starts in the NFL, while Hennessy & Gono have none. Without them having actually proven a thing yet, it seems like a reach to call that group "solid" at this point.

Also, what happens if Matthews or McGary get hurt? Now Gono, who is currently the only other T on the roster, has to move to their spot & you're back to hoping Carpenter or Brown is good enough to hold up at one of the guard spots. And what if Lindstrom gets hurt again? Same kinda thing where you've potentially spread yourself thin instead of having good depth.

On top of that, it also seems incredibly risky to cut a proven vet like Mack, just to sign Clowney.

Clowney has been a massive disappointment thus far in the NFL. He's not bad per se, but he's nowhere near lived up to what he was supposed to be, which is why the Texans dealt him, why Seattle didn't lock him up long-term, and why he's still available right now. So when I see someone talk about ditching a hugely important part of the offense in favor of getting Clowney, I can't help but assume you're just name chasing.

I mean, Clowney is going into his 7th season in the NFL, but he's only started 16 games one time & he's never gotten more than 9.5 sacks in a year.

Is it really worth getting rid of the rock-solid stability Mack brings to the offense... which is the strength of this team... PLUS the opportunity to let Hennessy & Lindstrom have a season to fully grow into their roles rather than being thrown to the wolves?

For the 5 sacks & 2 fumbles Clowney is averaging per year thus far???

Nah, bro.

Last year we drafted 2 OL in the first round and also paid 2 free agents to compete to start. I believe Lindstrom was brought in to replace Mack. He is super smart! Too bad our free agent sucked! 

 

Many times the best way for Developing OL to get better is to play. If we cut Mack, we have 10 players on the roster that are not projected starters to compete for 1 spot. If we can’t get one solid player out of 10 we need to fire the coaches and the scouting department! 

 

Defense has been our Achilles! If we can cut an aging player to improve our horrible pass rush from last year, I’m all for it!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a start he is 35 in November. I suspect we will find out next off season if he wants to play on. Best case Mack playes well in 2020 and signs a cap friendly 1 year extension and Hennesyy

No, 1 year is plenty. Rookies start at center every year.

Extend....

16 hours ago, New Jersey Falcon said:

You don't cut your starting Center in a make or break year.  I'm hoping Gono gets a legit chance to start this year and that we can somehow get Griffen after 6/1

It would be nice to keep everyone and also pick up another free agent DE. I just don’t know how we can afford it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

Last year we drafted 2 OL in the first round and also paid 2 free agents to compete to start. I believe Lindstrom was brought in to replace Mack. He is super smart! Too bad our free agent sucked! 

 

Many times the best way for Developing OL to get better is to play. If we cut Mack, we have 10 players on the roster that are not projected starters to compete for 1 spot. If we can’t get one solid player out of 10 we need to fire the coaches and the scouting department! 

 

Defense has been our Achilles! If we can cut an aging player to improve our horrible pass rush from last year, I’m all for it!!!

Lindstrom was brought in to solidify the RG spot for 10+ years.  Granted, he is said to have the position flexibility to play center.  Though I'd assume we didnt expect to draft someone to Hennessy's pedigree the following year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

Last year we drafted 2 OL in the first round and also paid 2 free agents to compete to start. I believe Lindstrom was brought in to replace Mack. He is super smart! Too bad our free agent sucked! 

 

Many times the best way for Developing OL to get better is to play. If we cut Mack, we have 10 players on the roster that are not projected starters to compete for 1 spot. If we can’t get one solid player out of 10 we need to fire the coaches and the scouting department! 

 

Defense has been our Achilles! If we can cut an aging player to improve our horrible pass rush from last year, I’m all for it!!!

I get where you're coming from, but still gotta disagree with the idea.

With Hennessy, Lindstrom, and Gono as the starters, you are proposing a situation where we have a grand total of just 5 games played in the NFL for our ENTIRE interior o-line.

Sure, getting in-game experience is a great way for some guys to develop, but trying to get your entire interior o-line to learn that way at the same time seems a bit much to ask of them. Since Lindstrom missed nearly 3/4 of the games last year & Gono has never started, those guys are just slightly beyond being rookies in terms of experience. So, what you are proposing is essentially like starting 3 rookies on the interior. Ideally, you'd just have one inexperienced dude out there per year... maybe you could get away w/ two (as was the plan last year w/ Lindstrom & McGary)... but having three inexperienced guys there just seems to be inviting an opportunity for Matt Ryan to get killed.

I'd much prefer to let Lindstrom & Hennessy take the G spots with Mack at C. Have Gono for depth at G & T. This allows you to get valuable experience for Lindstrom & Hennessy, without making the entire interior a giant question mark... and then next season, you let Mack walk, move one of those two guys to C, and draft a rookie to take over the vacant G spot.

I know you think we need to add a pass rusher, but you don't need to jeopardize the o-line to do that.

Keep in mine that on June 2nd, we gain somewhere between $5M-10M in cap room thanks to the Trufant cut. That's likely more than enough to get a dude like Jabaal Sheard on board for a year or two. Sheard averages the same production as Clowney, but is way more reliable in terms of health, and should be considerably cheaper.

So that gives you a guy who can add to the DE rotation & get you that additional 5-8 sacks you'd get from Clowney WITHOUT having to get rid of Mack... thus allowing the team to bring Lindstrom & Hennessy along in a more reasonable manner w/ a veteran presence next to them as they get acclimated to the NFL.

You can then take the training wheels off next year, but for now it's neither smart nor necessary to make move like cutting Mack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, k-train said:

I get where you're coming from, but still gotta disagree with the idea.

With Hennessy, Lindstrom, and Gono as the starters, you are proposing a situation where we have a grand total of just 5 games played in the NFL for our ENTIRE interior o-line.

Sure, getting in-game experience is a great way for some guys to develop, but trying to get your entire interior o-line to learn that way at the same time seems a bit much to ask of them. Since Lindstrom missed nearly 3/4 of the games last year & Gono has never started, those guys are just slightly beyond being rookies in terms of experience. So, what you are proposing is essentially like starting 3 rookies on the interior. Ideally, you'd just have one inexperienced dude out there per year... maybe you could get away w/ two (as was the plan last year w/ Lindstrom & McGary)... but having three inexperienced guys there just seems to be inviting an opportunity for Matt Ryan to get killed.

I'd much prefer to let Lindstrom & Hennessy take the G spots with Mack at C. Have Gono for depth at G & T. This allows you to get valuable experience for Lindstrom & Hennessy, without making the entire interior a giant question mark... and then next season, you let Mack walk, move one of those two guys to C, and draft a rookie to take over the vacant G spot.

I know you think we need to add a pass rusher, but you don't need to jeopardize the o-line to do that.

Keep in mine that on June 2nd, we gain somewhere between $5M-10M in cap room thanks to the Trufant cut. That's likely more than enough to get a dude like Jabaal Sheard on board for a year or two. Sheard averages the same production as Clowney, but is way more reliable in terms of health, and should be considerably cheaper.

So that gives you a guy who can add to the DE rotation & get you that additional 5-8 sacks you'd get from Clowney WITHOUT having to get rid of Mack... thus allowing the team to bring Lindstrom & Hennessy along in a more reasonable manner w/ a veteran presence next to them as they get acclimated to the NFL.

You can then take the training wheels off next year, but for now it's neither smart nor necessary to make move like cutting Mack.

If we can make it work I’m cool with it! If we continue to pay everybody, this franchise will be in a horrible position. Tough decisions have to be made!

Our projected cap for next year is $60,000. What can we get with that? Hope we don’t get the injury bug this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

If we can make it work I’m cool with it! If we continue to pay everybody, this franchise will be in a horrible position. Tough decisions have to be made!

Our projected cap for next year is $60,000. What can we get with that? Hope we don’t get the injury bug this year. 

In 2021, we can get $21M in cap room by cutting:
Ricardo Allen
Jamon Brown
James Carpenter
Allen Bailey

Also, right now all the UDFAs we just signed are counting against the 2021 cap, as are the guys we recently signed to future contracts. Each one of those guys cut frees up around another estimated $780k. There are 19 of them, so let's say 12 of those guys get cut... that frees up $9.3M

All together, that's a little over $30M to play with right there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, k-train said:

In 2021, we can get $21M in cap room by cutting:
Ricardo Allen
Jamon Brown
James Carpenter
Allen Bailey

Also, right now all the UDFAs we just signed are counting against the 2021 cap, as are the guys we recently signed to future contracts. Each one of those guys cut frees up around another estimated $780k. There are 19 of them, so let's say 12 of those guys get cut... that frees up $9.3M

All together, that's a little over $30M to play with right there.

Thanks for the info! We are in a better situation than I thought but still not great. 
 

We will also have a number of our free agent that we may want to retain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

Thanks for the info! We are in a better situation than I thought but still not great. 
 

We will also have a number of our free agent that we may want to retain.

It'll likely be tricky for sure for at least the next 3-5 years w/ Matt & Julio's contracts, but we made moves starting last year, carrying into this year, and likely moving forward to next year & beyond which should help make things workable until we get to a point of having ample flexibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not if Henessey can pick up the offense quickly.  Don't waste time having this rookie learn LG.  His entire attention should be to the C position.  You don't select a QB to learn the wr position.  He learns from the starting qb each day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...