Should the Falcons try to extend Alex Mack?

Even with the signing of Matt Hennessy I still hope we can hang on to Alex Mack 2-3 more seasons. Mack is only 33 years old. He is not a pup but I think that he could play until he's 35 or even 36 if he really wanted to. I also would like for Matt Hennessy to have at least a couple of years NFL experience before he becomes our starting center. 

At the end of the day I'm sure it's up to Alex Mack if he wants to stay here an extra year or two. But I think the Falcons should try to extend and restructure him because I think Matt Ryan feels a lot more comfortable knowing he has Alex Mack at center.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a start he is 35 in November. I suspect we will find out next off season if he wants to play on. Best case Mack playes well in 2020 and signs a cap friendly 1 year extension and Hennesyy

No, 1 year is plenty. Rookies start at center every year.

Extend....

11 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

For a start he is 35 in November.

I suspect we will find out next off season if he wants to play on.

Best case Mack playes well in 2020 and signs a cap friendly 1 year extension and Hennesyy becomes the starter at LG and eventually moves to C when the time is right.

agree

It will all come down to how good a Hennessy is. If he is good it will make Mack expendable to use cap space elsewhere. If he doesn’t live up to expectation the team could try to keep Mack another year.

for all we know a Mack may have told the team he is considering retiring after this season, which is why the took Hennessy when they did to have him get a year of experience and not need to start a rookie.

This is a question that really cannot be discussed until next offseason - too many variables:

1) Will Mack have an average 2020 season, show major decline, or perform unexpectedly great?

2) Will Hennessy come in and look great at LG or have a rough rookie season and spend most of it on practice squad?

3) If Hennessy starts all year at LG, will we have a clear replacement for LG in 2021 if we shift Hennessy to C?

4) Would Mack want a massive amount of money to sign a 1-year deal, would he even consider a pay decrease?

5) Will we have finished last in the division, have a new GM/HC and be in a total rebuilding mode (no Mack)?

6) Will we be celebrating a SB win and be looking to keep as many players as possible to possibly repeat?

7) Will Mack actually end up being injured at some point in 2020, leaving Hennessy as the obvious backup?

The Falcons have Hennessy now as good insurance they really needed to draft in case all goes wrong with Mack this year.

With our perennial woes at interior OL, with Matt spending years being unable to step up in the pocket it would be foolish to dump one of the best centers in the league for a 3rd pick, even if he does have unlimited potential. Not to mention we didn’t have much luck thrusting 2 first round OL into the starting rotation last year even though they showed flashes. This is a win now offense. Keep Mack for a couple more years, then let Hennessy be the guy for the next decade after that. There’s no rush.

27 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I think Henny and Ryan would have to develop a relationship first. It doesn't matter if rookies start or not. A Center is just as important to a QB as his best receiver.

I agree, that why I am glad we took someone this year. Teams do manage to win with rookies or second year guys at center pretty often though (see Saints)

For starters, Quinn said Henny will be competing at LG first so I don't see him playing center the first year unless Mack falls off completely or gets injured. It's a good way to get his feet wet, take his lumps and learn from one of better centers to play this past decade.

Temple's head coach said Henny is up at 4 AM to do his own private yoga and workout before the teams workout. His prep and intangibles are first class according to their head coach. 

Mack is a UFA after this season. I envision Henny taking over at C in 2021 if he's deemed ready. 

The real question IMO is what we're doing with the two FA busts Carpenter and Brown because I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Henny outplay them. 

2 hours ago, quotemokc said:

Best case Mack playes well in 2020 and signs a cap friendly 1 year extension and Hennesyy becomes the starter at LG and eventually moves to C when the time is right.

Yeah no, he's 33. 34 in November. 

3 hours ago, quotemokc said:

I'm just afraid of the transition similar to when we let Todd McClure go before confirming Peter Konz was the person for the job. I hate that TD puts us in this position too often when it comes to the trenches. 

I would like to extend Mack for 2 more years so he can honestly battle for the spot his second year. That way we know what we have in case we need to go the FA route again.  Now all our hopes are pinned on the unknown without room for error.