Mel Kiper on Atlanta’s draft

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even if he gave an A+ I wouldn’t take his opinion serious

I don’t know if we reached, Terrell is good. 

Posted Images

My issue with kiper and any analyst is where a player ranks on HIS board may kit he the same on a teams board. If so and so player is YOUR guy get him. Plain and simple. That’s reason guys like Warren Sapp fall to Tampa bay or Aaron Rodgers falls to GB. Or Ridley even falling to us. If a player fits what your team philosophy is get him. Now I’m not saying grab a 3rd round talent in the 1st but common sense. Terrell is a 1st round talent corner. Will he perform that way remains to be seen but he has the talent. Grady was a first round talent we got in the 3rd. Would it have been a difference if somebody grabbed him in the 1st other than them saying “I had him graded as the #150 overall player on my board? Or “huge reach”. He woulda shut everybody tha f*ck up. So who gives af what analyst say? Players gotta play regardless of round picked. 

Not too many issues outside of the 4th round. By TD's own account he was locked in on them and seemingly knew they were reaches, with Hawkins confirming that saying he didn't expect to go for another few rounds.

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

They play in the playoffs annually too...and do really well.

Right. But it’s much easier to shred Fulton, Igbinoghene, and Diggs Playing real competition with real live NFL WRs from week to week. The most competition Terrell got until the playoffs was in practice. 

9 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

I hate the Terrell pick out of all the picks. This dude is not good. Reminds me of Collins without the off field issues. I’m not just talking about the LSU game, but every game that I’ve seen him in he looks terrible. I will say it now and I’m not ashamed of it. This dude will be a bust. Wrong CB.

Could you name  a few of the games you've seen him in? Id like to watch.....IM bored..He looked good in the Bama game last year........Btw, He actually played well in the 1st half of the LSU game if you go back and watch. And then he played most of the 2nd half with a head injury..

Edited by zekeyboy1
9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I don’t know if we reached, Terrell is good. 

My whole thing was he better enough than Johnson or other prospects that we needed to draft there? I kind of get what he's saying, but people shouldn't be surprised when TD takes guys early, he hones in on his dudes and doesn't really seem interested in adding picks and getting similar talent a bit later. I think C is a little harsh, I would say B or B+. I can't really argue the picks overall, but I also can't ignore taking a good CB at #21 and picking up one of philly's picks would have been really nice.

4 hours ago, octoslash said:

Mel Kiper must have pics of ESPN's general manager going down on a goat or something.  

He's the Larry King of sports TV:  Used up, always wrong, and without any real qualifications other than hanging around cameras and spewing diarrhea through his mouth.   

The Donald Trump of sports TV..And Im just talking about how he just babbles on and on in front of the camera..Nothing political...........................

Edited by zekeyboy1

It’s sucks that we can no longer get evals from mike mayock. I always felt like he was the best. I’m curious how he would see our draft. Falcons have had bad luck with guys unable to stay on the field be it injury, lack of drive or drug suspension so I can’t knock them for getting nice guys but the get themselves a skull cracker in the second round to wreck the oline next to takk. To big craaaaaazy jokers on one side coming for breezus Brady and...little bro. Then you have Jarrett and Fowler on the other side man hope backup qbs warm up a little extra. It’s not a feared line yet but I do like the extra juice up front. More moves to come but it would  be cool to see if the jets still want a 2nd for Jamal Adams if not pursue clowney. 

10 hours ago, Vandy said:

Ya’ll can put lipstick on this pig, but ‘C’ seems about right. Davidson/Hennessy were solid picks, the rest were WTF ones.

We shall see on A.J. Terrell. Seemed like a pretty big reach to me too.

And for all you guys hating on Kiper, his ‘work’ in those early days is probably the biggest reason why we all now spend countless hours studying/discussing/fussing about the draft and why it’s become the huge extravaganza it is. 

100%, I’m very thankful for what he did but he isn’t the same as he once was, or put the time into it from what I’ve heard.  I trust mcshay more than him at this point.  I also think Kiper is one that is stuck in the past a bit on what team need or want.  They guy knocked the Okudah pick because they should have gone Brown “always go with the big guy first” or something like that.

From NFL.com. Perhaps the worst take that I've seen on our draft so far:

Atlanta Falcons: The Falcons made it to Super Bowl LI with a deep receiver crew whose members all fulfilled different roles, providing a blueprint many teams followed in the ensuing years. That's partly why I was so surprised they passed on CeeDee Lamb at No. 16 overall. While the Falcons' starting duo of Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley is strong, it's not like they are deep at the position. Taking cornerback A.J. Terrell instead felt like passing on talent for need because the Falcons' previous gambits at cornerback haven't worked out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001111697/article/2020-nfl-draft-one-thought-for-all-32-teams-looking-forward

The writer suggests we grab the best player available when we had glaring needs. If we had grabbed Lamb, I guarantee it would have been seen as a head scratching move when we had much bigger needs for CB and D line. I'm a firm believer in BPA as a factor in who you draft but it can't be the sole criteria. That's why Matt Millen drafted wide receivers in the top 10 of the draft three years in a row (and four in five years) and why he was fired shortly after.

12 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

He says biggest reach in round one, And one of the biggest reaches in years, but raiders took Arnette 3 picks later who wasn’t in top 10 of his own rankings...Kiper is a friggin dolt...and a liar.

that said, let’s look as his own list and see if he is smarter than NFL GMs like he actually thinks he is.

Cornerbacks

1. Jeff Okudah, Ohio State
  2. CJ Henderson, Florida
  3. Kristian Fulton, LSU
  4. Noah Igbinoghene, Auburn
  5. Trevon Diggs, Alabama
  6. Bryce Hall, Virginia
  7. Jeff Gladney, TCU
  8. Cameron Dantzler, Mississippi State
  9. Jaylon Johnson, Utah
  10. A.J. Terrell, Clemson

Kiper is a prime example of what’s wrong w ESPN.

That and Fulton was third overall rated and was chosen almost in 3rd round around the 9th cb selected. How come he didn’t grill all those other teams for passing him up? 

2 hours ago, Rings said:

100%, I’m very thankful for what he did but he isn’t the same as he once was, or put the time into it from what I’ve heard.  I trust mcshay more than him at this point.  I also think Kiper is one that is stuck in the past a bit on what team need or want.  They guy knocked the Okudah pick because they should have gone Brown “always go with the big guy first” or something like that.

Agree on McShay, who is young & hungry. Kiper’s older, rich and coasting. 

4 hours ago, Xero said:

It’s sucks that we can no longer get evals from mike mayock. I always felt like he was the best. I’m curious how he would see our draft. Falcons have had bad luck with guys unable to stay on the field be it injury, lack of drive or drug suspension so I can’t knock them for getting nice guys but the get themselves a skull cracker in the second round to wreck the oline next to takk. To big craaaaaazy jokers on one side coming for breezus Brady and...little bro. Then you have Jarrett and Fowler on the other side man hope backup qbs warm up a little extra.

Walter Football has been the best in the business for years.  If you want solid analysis and accurate mock drafts, they are where it’s at

1 Charlie Campbell - Walter Football 54 78 28 11 171
2 Walter Cherepinsky - Walter Football 55 71 34 9 169
3 Evan Silva - Rotoworld 52 78 26 10 166
4 Ben Standig - NBC Sports 57 70 28 11 166
5 Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz 56 73 26 10 165
6 Kevin Hanson - EDSFootball 47 78 26 13 164
7 Jason La Canfora - CBS Sports 47 79 30 7 163
8 Zach Berman - Philly.com 58 70 24 11 163
9 Scott Smith - RotoViz 50 73 28 12 163
10 Anthony Staggs - FF Statistics 50 73 30 8 161
11 Peter Schrager - NFL.com 52 75 24 10 161
12 Brad Richter - Going For 2 50 74 28 7 159