Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fuego

Mel Kiper on Atlanta’s draft

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, fuego said:

atl.png&h=110&w=110

Atlanta Falcons: C

Top needs: CB, Edge, RB, DT

The pick that stunned me the most on Day 1 was Atlanta taking cornerback A.J. Terrell at No. 16. It's one of the biggest reaches of the past few years. Think of it this way: At No. 16, many teams can get a top-10 player on their own board. The Cowboys did that at No. 17 with CeeDee Lamb. Instead, Atlanta forced a pick for a position of need. Sorry, Falcons, but you're not a cornerback away from the Super Bowl.

I have said for the past few weeks that there were likely to be a couple of Round 1 reaches for cornerbacks; it's a priority position, there was a drop-off after the top two guys, and teams want to make sure they get their guy. But Terrell was the No. 7 corner on my board (No. 61 prospect overall), and Noah Igbinoghene, Jeff Gladney and Jaylon Johnsonwere still available. Those are all better prospects than Terrell. This is just way too high.

Marlon Davidson (47) is a solid pick, and he could move inside to defensive tackle, and interior offensive lineman Matt Hennessy has some versatility. Linebacker Mykal Walker (119) went almost 100 spots before I had him in my rankings.

This comes down to a big-time reach in Round 1, and I just don't see Terrell as worth it.
 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/29056681/2020-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-all-32-classes-best-picks-steals-sleepers#ATL

Just the fact that he is on ESPN, it doesn’t mean he is right. His views are subjective and opinionated. I cannot even stand this guy- he tries to hard to sound smart, but he is not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Why didn't this happen? How am I supposed to believe anthing he says if he isn't a man of his word? 

He promised he would retire if he was wrong...but never owned up to it and just ignored it...like he does w everything. He is just a blow hard

now I didn’t expect him to retire, but he should have at least owned it.

what he said about the Colts and their GM in his early years because they didn’t take the QB he thought they should have (bad *** Trent Dilfer) says all you need to know about this tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

That quote would have had much more merit had they traded up for Okudah or Henderson. He is still just taking angles to say he is right and Falcons are wrong...despite mocking AJ in round 1 himself and ranking him well ahead of Annette who went 3 picks later. Kiper is what he is...

Yeah youre right. That comment would be more valid if the Falcons would have traded into the top 10 for Henderson or Okudah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what amazes me on TAFT?

when TD and Quinn make a questionable move the knee huggers resort to how the management are the pro experts and have information us common folk don't know and then go on to insult our intelligence.

But when a talking head questions TD and Quinn's moves... talking heads that eat, breath and live football and sports.  Doing it for a living and have that very same information or more that TD and Quinn supposedly have, ... they are called the same stupid and their opinion should be ignored cause obliviously they know nothing.  Well if they know nothing why are we The atlanta ATL falcons?  Does the ATL stand for All Time Losers.... so far it does. Why are we barely making it to playoffs.  Why don't we have one superbowl ring? I just wonder what our outcome would be if the falcons swallowed their pride and actually listen to a couple of the more prolific talking heads.

Put that in your bongs and smoke it... followed by a shot of whatever floats your boat.

:munch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

You know what amazes me on TAFT?

when TD and Quinn make a questionable move the knee huggers resort to how the management are the pro experts and have information us common folk don't know and then go on to insult our intelligence.

But when a talking head questions TD and Quinn's moves... talking heads that eat, breath and live football and sports.  Doing it for a living and have that very same information or more that TD and Quinn supposedly have, ... they are called the same stupid and their opinion should be ignored cause obliviously they know nothing.  Well if they know nothing why are we The atlanta ATL falcons?  Does the ATL stand for All Time Losers.... so far it does. Why are we barely making it to playoffs.  Why don't we have one superbowl ring? I just wonder what our outcome would be if the falcons swallowed their pride and actually listen to a couple of the more prolific talking heads.

Put that in your bongs and smoke it... followed by a shot of whatever floats your boat.

:munch:

If these guys are so good, like the great Mel Kiper, why haven’t they been brought on by NFL teams for their wisdom?

i know Mayock has, but I also followed him and respected his input. There are some I listen to, like Brandt or others who were GMs, but Kiper is a poser, period.

not sure why it’s so hard to root for a player once he is on the team...instead people WANT them to fail to stroke their own egos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shango said:

I felt like there were a lot of corners in that draft even in the 3rd round that could have given us what we are potentially getting for Terrell..the guy we got from auburn really saves this draft, I think he brings more to the table than kinlaw.

I wasn't surprised that we picked up a center,but why a center that's light in the butt?why not draft somebody that's a road grader that can push you out of the way like cushinberry. 

Those Denver lines of old with all those light linemen owned the rushing league for years. Depends what kind of run scheme you want for your team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

If these guys are so good, like the great Mel Kiper, why haven’t they been brought on by NFL teams for their wisdom?

i know Mayock has, but I also followed him and respected his input. There are some I listen to, like Brandt or others who were GMs, but Kiper is a poser, period.

not sure why it’s so hard to root for a player once he is on the team...instead people WANT them to fail to stroke their own egos.

Mayock's mocks of old looked a heckuva lot better than his actual draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, E. T. said:

I agree, but they have more trust in their system. Which I think is a good one.

I also think that the spot trade with TB was definitely questionable. It didn't make any sense to me.

I think that trade was made because San Fran probably wanted Wirf knowing Staley was retiring, but were willing to go with Kinlaw for some kinda of compensation since they could focus on trading for Williams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

That system works with at least 1 reliable WR though. Without Goodwin or Sanders, who is that?

That's what doesn't make sense to me either. They had their opportunity to pick up one of the top WR's with their first pick, instead they went with DT which was not a bigger need than the other. Maybe they saw something in Aiyuk and Jennings that will work in their system. Still scratching my head over the pick swap with TB tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Mayock's mocks of old looked a heckuva lot better than his actual draft

A lot is gonna hinge on if CF takes a big leap into year 2. If he pans out may not look so bad, but he sure as heck doesn’t care about Mel Kipera rankings and mock drafts lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I think that trade was made because San Fran probably wanted Wirf knowing Staley was retiring, but were willing to go with Kinlaw for some kinda of compensation since they could focus on trading for Williams.

Still very suspect how that went down and ATL was 2 spots away from getting their guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

Mel Kiper says Terrell is his number 7th rated corner yet in his last mock, he had him as his 3d corner going 24 to the Saints. So whats the deal?

No matter how you feel about Terrell, Kiper is one of the last cats I will listen to. 

And if the Saints were the ones that took him as the third corner he would be praising them. I think we all know by now that he's a joke 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, E. T. said:

That's what doesn't make sense to me either. They had their opportunity to pick up one of the top WR's with their first pick, instead they went with DT which was not a bigger need than the other. Maybe they saw something in Aiyuk and Jennings that will work in their system. Still scratching my head over the pick swap with TB tho.

Like someone else said maybe they’re putting all their trust on Deebo. He’s good. At least he showed to be good last season. Will keep an eye on that offense this season without Goodwin, Brieda and Sanders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If not for the LSU game, Terrell would have been considered in the top 3 on all CB ranking boards.  We just really have to hope that game was an outlier.

As for this draft, the Falcons took some really risky picks instead of possibly more unquestionable ones.  However, TD and DQ must realize that if they do not get at least 2-3 immediate starters from these picks and solid production from the rest, they have no excuse for not being terminated if the Falcons have a non-playoff 2020 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Like someone else said maybe they’re putting all their trust on Deebo. He’s good. At least he showed to be good last season. Will keep an eye on that offense this season without Goodwin, Brieda and Sanders

True, it was a big turnover. I'm sure there will be a learning curve, but the shotcaller is still there and we have to account for him too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Like someone else said maybe they’re putting all their trust on Deebo. He’s good. At least he showed to be good last season. Will keep an eye on that offense this season without Goodwin, Brieda and Sanders

The other thing we can’t overlook is the confidence/bravado of Shanny. He prolly thinks he can scheme success with laid off waiters at WR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, E. T. said:

True, it was a big turnover. I'm sure there will be a learning curve, but the shotcaller is still there and we have to account for him too.

 

Just now, 1989Fan said:

The other thing we can’t overlook is the confidence/bravado of Shanny. He prolly thinks he can scheme success with laid off waiters at WR.

I can concede to that. I still don’t think Jimmy G is that dude but the playcaller is the key ingredient 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fuego said:

atl.png&h=110&w=110

Atlanta Falcons: C

Top needs: CB, Edge, RB, DT

The pick that stunned me the most on Day 1 was Atlanta taking cornerback A.J. Terrell at No. 16. It's one of the biggest reaches of the past few years. Think of it this way: At No. 16, many teams can get a top-10 player on their own board. The Cowboys did that at No. 17 with CeeDee Lamb. Instead, Atlanta forced a pick for a position of need. Sorry, Falcons, but you're not a cornerback away from the Super Bowl.

I have said for the past few weeks that there were likely to be a couple of Round 1 reaches for cornerbacks; it's a priority position, there was a drop-off after the top two guys, and teams want to make sure they get their guy. But Terrell was the No. 7 corner on my board (No. 61 prospect overall), and Noah Igbinoghene, Jeff Gladney and Jaylon Johnsonwere still available. Those are all better prospects than Terrell. This is just way too high.

Marlon Davidson (47) is a solid pick, and he could move inside to defensive tackle, and interior offensive lineman Matt Hennessy has some versatility. Linebacker Mykal Walker (119) went almost 100 spots before I had him in my rankings.

This comes down to a big-time reach in Round 1, and I just don't see Terrell as worth it.
 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/29056681/2020-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-all-32-classes-best-picks-steals-sleepers#ATL

Does this make anyone else feel even happier with our draft or is it just me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget Mel Kiper. No player at that point was a true difference maker and he knows it. AJ Terrell might not be the difference between us and a Super Bowl, but if he didn't offer a name that would have put us over the top, then he knows that's a BS argument to make. He's just a glorified and high paid fan boy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

 

I can concede to that. I still don’t think Jimmy G is that dude but the playcaller is the key ingredient 

I'm sure lots of people are on the fence about Jimmy G, but they did struggle bad when he went down a couple of seasons ago. I guess that was enough proof to the FO that throwing the bank at him was a good thing. All I know is the Falcons defense played him tough last season and made some game winning plays which made my day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...