Mel Kiper on Atlanta’s draft

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even if he gave an A+ I wouldn’t take his opinion serious

I don’t know if we reached, Terrell is good. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, fuego said:

atl.png&h=110&w=110

Atlanta Falcons: C

Top needs: CB, Edge, RB, DT

The pick that stunned me the most on Day 1 was Atlanta taking cornerback A.J. Terrell at No. 16. It's one of the biggest reaches of the past few years. Think of it this way: At No. 16, many teams can get a top-10 player on their own board. The Cowboys did that at No. 17 with CeeDee Lamb. Instead, Atlanta forced a pick for a position of need. Sorry, Falcons, but you're not a cornerback away from the Super Bowl.

I have said for the past few weeks that there were likely to be a couple of Round 1 reaches for cornerbacks; it's a priority position, there was a drop-off after the top two guys, and teams want to make sure they get their guy. But Terrell was the No. 7 corner on my board (No. 61 prospect overall), and Noah Igbinoghene, Jeff Gladney and Jaylon Johnsonwere still available. Those are all better prospects than Terrell. This is just way too high.

Marlon Davidson (47) is a solid pick, and he could move inside to defensive tackle, and interior offensive lineman Matt Hennessy has some versatility. Linebacker Mykal Walker (119) went almost 100 spots before I had him in my rankings.

This comes down to a big-time reach in Round 1, and I just don't see Terrell as worth it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/29056681/2020-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-all-32-classes-best-picks-steals-sleepers#ATL

Try to be positive. I know it’s difficult when a perceived reach occurs. Kipper is paid to rip whenever he can. He is not always right.

The Falcons draft was good. Some people cry an say crucify him because their guy was not taken. It’s young men being judged by people sitting on their couch. Give the young men a chance to show their skills on the field and when they do you will cheer. All of the people in the Falcons front office, coaches and scouts are doing their best to bring a super bowl championship to ATL. 

BE PROUD TO BE A FALCON!!

I wish I really knew, the fact is experts and none of us know. I remember we had guys in here willing to sell the farm for Clowney (that would've been a huge mistake) and know were willing to do the same for Young. Maybe Young will be great, maybe he won't. Maybe he's often injured and just retires like Luck, we just don't know. I know one thing, I'm not giving up my entire draft for one player. Who knows, maybe we just drafted a HOFer and none of us knows who it is yet. 

I felt like there were a lot of corners in that draft even in the 3rd round that could have given us what we are potentially getting for Terrell..the guy we got from auburn really saves this draft, I think he brings more to the table than kinlaw.

I wasn't surprised that we picked up a center,but why a center that's light in the butt?why not draft somebody that's a road grader that can push you out of the way like cushinberry. 

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I don’t know if we reached, Terrell is good. 

WEll,, I think the player will be a great CB ,, But I do think it's a reach,, But I also believe that  the FO knew that the very best DBs were going to go fast.. So they went ahead and got what may be the best Corner in the draft.. ?? Those type players can win more games for a team than Fans can imagine......  Simple by the FO knowing who they could get after the draft as FAs ,,  I know they have there own plan..  Not so fun for the fans..  I love the big DL,,  At least we got a great one at #2,,  Davidson is going to be a game Wrecker .... But yeah,, I would have gone another way,, but the reason why I would is because I don't know what their plan is... if we did, we'd understand their moves.  I believe we will have a top team this year ... If Ryan stays healthy ....  So for that reason,, I can C why we took the players we did..

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

His Jimmy Clausen take soured a lot of people lol. I mean Nobody besides him thought Jimmy would do anything. I personally like McShay more

There was a lot of speculation that Claussens agent had paid him to promote Jimmy.

The people who get paid millions to make the draft decisions have a 50% succes rate in the first round. It gets worse from there.

There's just no way anybody who gets paid 1000s to talk about the draft is going to do better.

I respect Kiper for turning his passion into a nice career, hardly makes him infallible.

6 minutes ago, falconidae said:

There was a lot of speculation that Claussens agent had paid him to promote Jimmy.

The people who get paid millions to make the draft decisions have a 50% succes rate in the first round. It gets worse from there.

There's just no way anybody who gets paid 1000s to talk about the draft is going to do better.

I respect Kiper for turning his passion into a nice career, hardly makes him infallible.

I don’t begrudge Kiper at all except he has an inflated ego about himself. But the Jamarcus comparison to Elway was worse. Kiper is entertaining. If Kiper indeed get paid to promote Jimmy that just tells me he has no integrity. I haven’t heard that until now though 

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I don’t begrudge Kiper at all except he has an inflated ego about himself. But the Jamarcus comparison to Elway was worse. Kiper is entertaining. If Kiper indeed get paid to promote Jimmy that just tells me he has no integrity. I haven’t heard that until now though 

He was pushing Claussen hard and was getting frantic that he hadn't been drafted. Think he learned his lesson, hasn't been anything like that since.

2 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

I hate the Terrell pick out of all the picks. This dude is not good. Reminds me of Collins without the off field issues. I’m not just talking about the LSU game, but every game that I’ve seen him in he looks terrible. I will say it now and I’m not ashamed of it. This dude will be a bust. Wrong CB.

Collins was good though

I hate Kiper. The funniest moment of any draft was pure silence after the Ravens didn’t take Te’o.

That said he is spot on with the following and it hurts:

“Atlanta forced a pick for a position of need. Sorry, Falcons, but you're not a cornerback away from the SuperBowl.”

45 minutes ago, shango said:

I felt like there were a lot of corners in that draft even in the 3rd round that could have given us what we are potentially getting for Terrell..the guy we got from auburn really saves this draft, I think he brings more to the table than kinlaw.

I wasn't surprised that we picked up a center,but why a center that's light in the butt?why not draft somebody that's a road grader that can push you out of the way like cushinberry. 

Since when is 307 light for a center? For comparison, Mack is 311 and was called a ‘big center’ when drafted.

to be clear, I am not showing bias as Cushenberry was my favorite IOL in the draft, but I have no concern w Hennessy’s weight. They took him because he moves so well, which is goof so outside zone scheme..which I am thinking we see more of again in 20.

also, Cushenberry is 5 lbs heavier than MH.

2 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

Mel Kiper says Terrell is his number 7th rated corner yet in his last mock, he had him as his 3d corner going 24 to the Saints. So whats the deal?

No matter how you feel about Terrell, Kiper is one of the last cats I will listen to. 

Exactly

What I find funny is some of the same people complaining that we reached, would be ecstatic if we had actually reached.

For example, if we take Grant Delpit at 16 we now know for a fact now that NFL front offices viewed him as a 2nd round talent. That's a reach. 

Instead we take Terrell, a player who would have almost certainly went top 20 (Dallas or LV) and people are upset.

I guess I just find the "we reached" argument funny. Terrell may bust and Delpit may be a HoF but we didn't reach with our pick. 

Kiper,  LOL, this is probably the last person I would trust with player evaluations. I mean the dude said Jimmy Claussen would be an elite NFL QB. He gushes over ESPN’s favorite teams (Cowboys, Patriots, Raiders, Saints) but pans everyone else. I’ll trust what our scouting department believes ten times over this clown.

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Even if he gave an A+ I wouldn’t take his opinion serious

Dead on brother! Mel is an idiot! To be in the know.... he sure misses a whole lot! I think the only reason you see him on these shows is for entertainment value. It’s certainly not based off his supreme skills for evaluation of players.

Just now, Wardog357 said:

Dead on brother! Mel is an idiot! To be in the know.... he sure misses a whole lot! I think the only reason you see him on these shows is for entertainment value. It’s certainly not based off his supreme skills for evaluation of players.

I agree. They can pay me a small portion of his salary to miss on as many players as he does

57 minutes ago, Akod2017 said:

I hate Kiper. The funniest moment of any draft was pure silence after the Ravens didn’t take Te’o.

That said he is spot on with the following and it hurts:

“Atlanta forced a pick for a position of need. Sorry, Falcons, but you're not a cornerback away from the SuperBowl.”

That quote would have had much more merit had they traded up for Okudah or Henderson. He is still just taking angles to say he is right and Falcons are wrong...despite mocking AJ in round 1 himself and ranking him well ahead of Annette who went 3 picks later. Kiper is what he is...