• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fuego

Mel Kiper on Atlanta’s draft

atl.png&h=110&w=110

Atlanta Falcons: C

Top needs: CB, Edge, RB, DT

The pick that stunned me the most on Day 1 was Atlanta taking cornerback A.J. Terrell at No. 16. It's one of the biggest reaches of the past few years. Think of it this way: At No. 16, many teams can get a top-10 player on their own board. The Cowboys did that at No. 17 with CeeDee Lamb. Instead, Atlanta forced a pick for a position of need. Sorry, Falcons, but you're not a cornerback away from the Super Bowl.

I have said for the past few weeks that there were likely to be a couple of Round 1 reaches for cornerbacks; it's a priority position, there was a drop-off after the top two guys, and teams want to make sure they get their guy. But Terrell was the No. 7 corner on my board (No. 61 prospect overall), and Noah Igbinoghene, Jeff Gladney and Jaylon Johnsonwere still available. Those are all better prospects than Terrell. This is just way too high.

Marlon Davidson (47) is a solid pick, and he could move inside to defensive tackle, and interior offensive lineman Matt Hennessy has some versatility. Linebacker Mykal Walker (119) went almost 100 spots before I had him in my rankings.

This comes down to a big-time reach in Round 1, and I just don't see Terrell as worth it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/29056681/2020-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-all-32-classes-best-picks-steals-sleepers#ATL

He says biggest reach in round one, And one of the biggest reaches in years, but raiders took Arnette 3 picks later who wasn’t in top 10 of his own rankings...Kiper is a friggin dolt...and a liar.

that said, let’s look as his own list and see if he is smarter than NFL GMs like he actually thinks he is.

Cornerbacks

1. Jeff Okudah, Ohio State
  2. CJ Henderson, Florida
  3. Kristian Fulton, LSU
  4. Noah Igbinoghene, Auburn
  5. Trevon Diggs, Alabama
  6. Bryce Hall, Virginia
  7. Jeff Gladney, TCU
  8. Cameron Dantzler, Mississippi State
  9. Jaylon Johnson, Utah
  10. A.J. Terrell, Clemson

Kiper is a prime example of what’s wrong w ESPN.

Dude refuses to ever take accountability for his continuous mistakes and firm takes, and he still talks like he knows more than everyone, while showing favoritism towards some teams. Yet ESPN keeps rolling his head bobbing *** out there year after year. 

I hate the Terrell pick out of all the picks. This dude is not good. Reminds me of Collins without the off field issues. I’m not just talking about the LSU game, but every game that I’ve seen him in he looks terrible. I will say it now and I’m not ashamed of it. This dude will be a bust. Wrong CB.

41 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

I hate the Terrell pick out of all the picks. This dude is not good. Reminds me of Collins without the off field issues. I’m not just talking about the LSU game, but every game that I’ve seen him in he looks terrible. I will say it now and I’m not ashamed of it. This dude will be a bust. Wrong CB.

You sound real silly to now to say every game you saw Terrell looks terrible lol. I mean honestly haha. You didn’t watch a lot of games of him?

Ya’ll can put lipstick on this pig, but ‘C’ seems about right. Davidson/Hennessy were solid picks, the rest were WTF ones.

We shall see on A.J. Terrell. Seemed like a pretty big reach to me too.

And for all you guys hating on Kiper, his ‘work’ in those early days is probably the biggest reason why we all now spend countless hours studying/discussing/fussing about the draft and why it’s become the huge extravaganza it is. 

Just wish there was some way of tracking the folks who swear this draft was so good and the folks that are saying it's not. 

I think we blew it. Couldve walked away with quite a few impact guys but ended up picking players that are gonna struggle to acclimate to the NFL and likely cost Quinn and Dimitroff their jobs

1 minute ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Just wish there was some way of tracking the folks who swear this draft was so good and the folks that are saying it's not. 

I think we blew it. Couldve walked away with quite a few impact guys but ended up picking players that are gonna struggle to acclimate to the NFL and likely cost Quinn and Dimitroff their jobs

Easy. Just find each and book mark them. 

I think we all can agree that the first pick took us by surprise. But at the end of the day no matter how you look at it.....it was a position of need and really doesn't matter in what round you addressed it.

Some people are totally forgetting who the Niners picked just before us, and they needed a WR. That was the game changer for us!

2 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I think we all can agree that the first pick took us by surprise. But at the end of the day no matter how you look at it.....it was a position of need and really doesn't matter in what round you addressed it.

Some people are totally forgetting who the Niners picked just before us, and they needed a WR. That was the game changer for us!

49ers made some questionable moves trading Goodwin and Brieda. But they improved with landing Williams with Staley retiring. I guess they really trust Jimmy G

32 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

Dang dude! I’m not used to you going like that. Now I’m nervous..lol

24 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Ya’ll can put lipstick on this pig, but ‘C’ seems about right. Davidson/Hennessy were solid picks, the rest were WTF ones.

We shall see on Terrell. Seemed like a pretty big reach to me too.

And for all you guys hating on Kiper, his ‘work’ in those early days is probably the biggest reason the draft is the extravaganza it is. 

His Jimmy Clausen take soured a lot of people lol. I mean Nobody besides him thought Jimmy would do anything. I personally like McShay more