I always like to see these too early mock drafts.  One thing I’ll guarantee is that Carolina won’t pass on Fields, Jamaar Chase will be the 1st WR drafted, Falcons won’t go CB RD1 again  and Marvin Wilson will go top 15

2021 NFL Mock Draft: Early first-round projection

1. Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson (Jacksonville Jaguars)

9610950.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "The Jaguars traded away A.J. Bouye, prompting Leonard Fournette to tweet the Will Smith meme where he's standing in Unce Phil's empty mansion. That perfectly describes Jacksonville's situation, so imagine how Fournette will feel when Jacksonville trades Yannick Ngakoue as well. The team is devoid of talent in most places, and it could obtain the No. 1 overall pick as a result."

The word: Everyone's favorite 2021 prospect since the middle of his freshman season, Lawrence has thrown for 6,945 yards with 66 touchdowns and only 12 interceptions over two years at Clemson. He holds a 65.5 career completion percentage and was playing the best football of his tenure with the Tigers heading into last season's College Football Playoff national championship game.

2. Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon (Carolina Panthers)

Penei Sewell

Walter Football: "The Panthers signed Teddy Bridgewater to replace Cam Newton, so I can only assume that they're willing to give him more than one year, especially given that this seems like a complete rebuild. Bridgewater needs help on the offensive line."

The word: From 247Sports national analyst Chris Hummer, who lists Sewell as the No. 3 player on the 2021 draft board: "How good is Sewell? PFF College described Sewell’s sophomore season “what seems like the single greatest season from an offensive lineman at the college level.” Sewell earned a 95.5 overall grade, building on a Freshman All-American campaign the year prior. Sewell is a hulking 6-foot-6, 325 pounds. He’s the most feared run blocker in the country and remarkably dexterous on the edge."

3. Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State (Detroit Lions)

9717560.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "Justin Fields made the egregious mistake of committing to a program with a talented, young quarterback in Jake Fromm, so he was blocked from starting. Fields, however, was able to transfer to Ohio State, where he dominated in his first season." 

The word: Behind Lawrence, Fields is on most early mocks as the next best available quarterback prospect. Fields threw for 3,273 yards and 41 touchdowns with only three interceptions last season at Ohio State, his first at the program. He also completed 67.2 percent of his passes and ran for another 484 yards and 10 touchdowns on the ground. 

4. Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson (Washington Redskins)

9565537.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "Terry McLaurin has been incredible so far, but the Redskins could use a second receiver, or rather, a second No. 1 wideout." 

The word: Pro Football Network ranks Ross as the third-best wideout available in the 2021 draft, so gifted pass-catcher sitting in a Top 5 spot here is a bit surprising. Ross, the top-ranked player out of Alabama as a prep senior, starred immediately as a freshman starter in the ACC. He registered 1,000 yards receiving and nine touchdowns with an elite 21.7 yards-per-catch average and did more of the same last fall as a sophomore alongside Tee Higgins.

5. Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami (Miami Dolphins)

Gregory Rousseau

Walter Football: "Gregory Rousseau will be a redshirt sophomore entering the 2021 offseason, but he logged double-digit sacks as a redshirt freshman in 2019. He was compared to Calais Campbell entering Miami." 

The word: One of the nation's most productive defensive ends as a redshirt freshman in 2019, Rousseau enjoyed a breakout campaign for the Hurricanes in his first season as a starter. Rousseau finished with an ACC-leading 15.5 sacks and also totaled 15.5 tackles for loss. With another season like that, there's no doubt he'll leave the ACC for a future in the NFL one year early in Coral Gables.

6. Walker Little, OT, Stanford (Miami Dolphins)

Walker Little

Walter Football: "Walker Little was projected as a top-10 prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft before he suffered an injury. He'll be back to that designation in 2021 if he can show that he's healthy." 

The word: Walker needs an injury-free 2020 season to lock in a first-round pick next spring. The Top247's No. 1 overall player in the 2017 class, Little is the modern tackle ideal from a physical perspective, writes Hummer. "He’s massive (6-foot-7, 304 pounds) with little to no bad weight," Hummer writes. "The Texas native is an elite tester with a 4.4-second 20-yard shuttle – anything below a 4.5 is fantastic – and a 107.2 SPARQ score from high school."

7. Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU (New York Jets)

9609909.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "Ja'Marr Chase caught 17 passes in his freshman year, then took a huge step forward in 2019, displaying the ability of a top-10 prospect." 

The word: Per Geaux247, "Chase finished the year as the NCAA's leader in receiving touchdowns with 20, and his 127.1 yards per game ranked second nationally as he finished out the year with 84 catches for 1,780 yards in 14 games played. He joined quarterback Joe Burrow, running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire and wide receiver Justin Jefferson to make LSU the first team in SEC history with a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers in the same season."

8. Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas (Cincinnati Bengals)

9416406.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "Cordy Glenn is gone, so the Bengals will be looking for a new left tackle to protect Joe Burrow." 

The word: Cosmi announced his return to Texas on Twitter after the season ended in a bowl win over Utah. Texas finished its 2019 season at 8-5 in a tie for third place in the Big 12 Conference. The Longhorns open the 2020 season at home against USF before a road trip to face the national champions in Baton Rouge.

"After exploring my options, I'm excited to announce that I'll be returning for my fourth year at the University of Texas," Cosmi said. "It has always been a dream for me and my family to earn my degree. I'm so excited to get back to work with my brothers and work toward a championship! Go Horns!"

9. Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama (Minnesota Vikings)

9491540.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "The Vikings will have more trouble scoring in 2020 in the wake of Stefon Diggs' departure, so they'll need to find a new receiver. Jaylen Waddle looks to be the next great Alabama receiver to enter the NFL. He's one of the quickest players in college football." 

The word: One of several Alabama players with early Heisman odds for next season, Waddle Waddle accounted for 560 receiving yards and six touchdowns on 33 catches. A factor in the return game, Waddle was electric in the open field with room to move, returning one punt and one kickoff for touchdowns as a sophomore.

10. Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan (Jacksonville Jaguars)

Jalen Mayfield

Walter Football: "The Jaguars need to make sure Trevor Lawrence is protected as well as possible. Their offensive line stinks right now and is in dire need of some upgrades."

The word: 

11. Richard LeCounte, S, Georgia (Miami Dolphins)

9595750.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "Richard LeCounte is a rangy tackling machine who has drawn comparisons to Eddie Jackson." 

The word: One of the SEC's hardest hitters in the secondary, LeCounte compiled 61 total tackles with four interceptions and two forced fumbles last season, finishing a banner year with a terrific performance in Georgia's Sugar Bowl win over Baylor. With his return and Lewis Cine's emergence, Georgia will take the field in September equipped with one of college football's most talented defenses at the back end. Most analysts believe Georgia will be the SEC's best on that side of the football this fall.

12. Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama (Dallas Cowboys)

9491499.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "Son of former Dolphins star cornerback Patrick Surtain Sr., Surtain II was tested early by teams, yet was able to punish teams for doing so. The 6-foot-2 cornerback projects as a top-10 pick in the future." 

The word: Per PFF College data, the 247Sports True Freshman All-American hadn't allowed a touchdown in 771 snaps last season heading into the Citrus Bowl win over Michigan. Surtain's father told 247Sports he is focused on improving prior to his final season with the Crimson Tide.

“He wants to be great. Behind the scenes he loves football," Surtain Sr. said. "He wants to be one of the best to ever do it. He’s only going to get better. ... The sky is the limit.”

13. Jamie Newman, QB, Georgia (New England Patriots)

3508607.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "Say hello to Jamie Newman, who has created a buzz in the scouting community. He has nice passing talent and can also beat the opposition with his legs." 

The word: Newman made waves as a sophomore at Wake Forest in relief of injured starter Sam Hartman before winning the job during camp last fall, leading the Demon Deacons to a 5-0 start before the team's second-half swoon. Newman, a dual-threat, finished with 2,868 yards passing, 26 touchdowns and 11 interceptions to go along with 574 yards rushing and six scores. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Newman entered the NCAA transfer portal after completing 220 of 361 passes (60.9 percent) for 2,868 yards and 26 touchdowns to 11 interceptions in 12 games of what was a breakout 2019 season.

14. DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama (Tennessee Titans)

9739345.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "DeVonta Smith is an excellent route runner with great hands and tremendous run-after-catch ability."

The word: Two Alabama wideouts off the board in the first round for the second consecutive season? It's highly-likely. The wealth of talent at the position in Tuscaloosa is impressive. Mac Jones will have two premiere pass-catchers to throw to in 2020, including Smith who had a breakout five-touchdown game last fall and was the guy who caught the 2nd-and-26 game-winner against Georgia in the national championship game from Tua Tagovailoa a few years ago. Smith could go Top 10 with a solid campaign.

15. Trey Smith, OL, Tennessee (Los Angeles Chargers)

9608535.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Walter Football: "Despite being a freshman, Trey Smith was arguably Tennessee's best player in 2017. He was considered a top prospect coming out of high school. He's drawn rave reviews from scouts and would be a top-five pick if he didn't have health concerns." 

The word: Smith says his decision to return to Knoxville for his senior season was a "business decision".

“I already had the seeds in my mind I wanted to come back here. I want to be great," Smith said in January. "I want to leave a legacy at Tennessee. I love this University, I love the people. “But coming back, it was ultimately a business decision as well. You’ve got to take that into account. It’s business at that level.”

9511245.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

16. Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio State (Atlanta Falcons)

17. Alex Leatherwood, OL, Alabama (Arizona Cardinals)

18. Seth Williams, WR, Auburn (Cleveland Browns)

19. Josh Jobe, CB, Alabama (Las Vegas Raiders)

20. Israel Mukuamu, CB, South Carolina (New York Giants)

Walter Football: "Jarvis Landry will be owed a ton of money soon, so the Browns could move on from him unless he has a monstrous season. Odell Beckham Jr. has also voiced his displeasure, and trade rumors have surfaced. Seth Williams (6-3, 224) (came out) of nowhere to have a huge 2019 campaign."

The word: Mukuamu's coming out party came in South Carolina's win at Georgia last season when he picked off Jake Fromm three times, including one he returned for a touchdown.

9418940.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

21. Cade Mays, OL, Tennessee (Denver Broncos)

22. Brevin Jordan, TE, Miami (Green Bay Packers)

23. Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M (Pittsburgh Steelers)

Walter Football: "The Packers have moved on from Jimmy Graham this offseason, which means they must find a talented tight end to take his place. Brevin Jordan looks to be the next great Miami tight end. He's drawn comparisons to Evan Engram. He's extremely fast."

The word: One of three finalists for the Mackey Award honoring the nation's top tight end last season, Jordan started 10 games in 2019 and finished with a team-high 495 receiving yards in the regular season. Jordan, a second-team All-ACC selection in 2018, scored two touchdowns and averaged 14.1 yards per catch in another standout campaign.

9419949.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

24. LaBryan Ray, DL, Alabama (Seattle Seahawks)

25. Creed Humphrey, OL, Oklahoma (Philadelphia Eagles)

26. Tamorrion Terry, WR, Florida State (Baltimore Ravens)

Walter Football: "Will the Seahawks finally add to their offensive line? Not this time, as they really need to address the interior of their defensive front in the wake of Quinton Jefferson's departure. LaBryan Ray flashed a bit alongside Quinnen Williams and now has a larger role on Alabama." 

9603627.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

27. Deonte Brown, G, Alabama (Buffalo Bills)

28. Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State (San Francisco 49ers)

29. Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford (Indianapolis Colts)

Walter Football: "Linebacker is the weakness of the 49ers' terrific defense if Kwon Alexander can't stay healthy, so that could be addressed soon. Looking like the next great linebacker to come out of Penn State, Micah Parsons has been very productive. That's not a surprise, as Parsons was a highly athletic five-star recruit." 

9500601.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

30. Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse (New Orleans Saints)

31. Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

32. Jay Tufele, DT, USC (Kansas City Chiefs)

Walter Football: "Ndamukong Suh won't be around for very long, so the Buccaneers could be looking for another defensive tackle to play next to Vita Vea. Marvin Wilson has outstanding size (6-5, 311) and athleticism, and he is capable of putting consistent pressure on the quarterback."

The word: Despite missing FSU's final three games, Wilson managed 44 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss and 5.0 sacks. Pro Football Focus graded Wilson "elite"and third among all Power 5 interior defenders. Wilson had a pass-rush grade of 90.9.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah there is a general lack of perspective on many things draft related. Including not picking 'names' or 'their' guys, expectations of draft classes/rookies and draft value. My biggest pet peev

Season can’t come soon enough. The dumb posts in offseason will hopefully go away.

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

Shaun Wade was a guy I wanted to declare this year. Out of all the Ohio State DB's, he's the guy with the most upside.

Marvin Wilson and Dylan Moses are two others I'd be targeting for the Falcons.

Forgot about Moses.  I love his upside.  Wanted him at 16th if he came out in 2020

You like Shaun Wade over Okudah?

8 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Forgot about Moses.  I love his upside.  Wanted him at 16th if he came out in 2020

You like Shaun Wade over Okudah?

Yeah Moses is a good one. Most athletic Bama linebacker to come out for a while.

Wade isn't as polished as Okudah but he's more versatile, more physical and generally more upside. He's probably nailed on as an outside corner now Okudah and Arnette are gone, but Wade can literally play anywhere in the secondary.