Falcons draft Jaylinn Hawkins

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From PFN: 134. Atlanta Falcons: Jaylinn Hawkins, S, California Pauline’s Ranking: #395 (S32) | Scouting Report PFN Consensus: N/A | RAS: N/A Pauline: I’ve always been a big fan of Jayli

Whichever NFL team announces Jaylinn Hawkins’ name in the NFL draft later this week, the California safety prospect promises it can just plug him right in. The Buena Park, California, native wasn

Newsflash folks, anything past the third round isn’t a “reach”.

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Dude, I guarantee 95% of AFMB did not watch a single game from CAL last year or the year before. They simply don’t know who this guy is...and because of that, he MUST be a scrub :rolleyes:

I think he was the mike in that Cal defense. Davis may be better athletically, but I love (what I've seen and read) his instincts, ball awareness, hard hitting and football IQ

46 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

The more I watch, the more I like. 

I'm starting to like the guy after watching a couple games. He's pretty long tbh. Definitely doesn't have crazy speed but he's got range just cause of his instincts and the flow to his game. Seems to be around a lot of plays.

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Football IQ is a very underrated trait.

If you can recognize what the other team is going to do before they do it will get you a long way in the nfl.

Especially at box safety. You can make a lot of plays from that position if you have a high football IQ

When we drafted Keanu Neal to play box safety, this message board melted down that we “reached” for him and they showed college clips of him playing at an average in the outfield as evidence.

I kept telling everyone here we aren’t going to be playing Neal deep like that in a deep zone or require him to cover in man 40 yards downfield.

When Neal made the conversion to box safety here, he lit it up and won everyone over. Most of what he is asked to do will be to make plays in front of him. Many of the clips we see of Hawkins at CAL he’s not playing in the box.  

The scouting reports say he projects as a box safety at the NFL level. With his high football IQ , his ability to cover in zone and man on a shorter field and his aggression he could be a steal for us where we got him.

Lord knows this defense needs a solid backup to Neal. SS has been a liability good offensive coordinators exploit  to us since Neal has been hurt.

27 minutes ago, gazoo said:

When we drafted Keanu Neal to play box safety, this message board melted down that we “reached” for him and they showed college clips of him playing at an average to below average level in the outfielders evidence.

I kept telling everyone here we aren’t going to be playing Neal deep like that in a deep zone or require him to cover in man 40 yards downfield.

When Neal made the conversion to box safety here, he lit it up and won everyone over. Most of what he is asked to do will be to make plays in front of him. Many of the clips we see of Hawkins at CAL he’s not playing in the box.  

The scouting reports say he projects as a box safety at the NFL level. With his high football IQ , his ability to cover in zone and man on a shorter field and his aggression he could be a steal for us where we got him.

Lord knows this defense needs a solid backup to Neal. SS has been a liability good offensive coordinators exploit  to us since Neal has been hurt.

I wonder what John Lynch's 40 time was. Could Marlon Davidson be our Warren Sapp?

GO FALCONS!!!!

5 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

I get the Willy Mo vibe from him too. Moore was a striker that had deep-safety ball skills. Both are heavy footed type players that dont flash speed despite still being rangy if that makes sense.

He will battle Neasmon for backup SS and may see the field in the event of injury

Couldn’t agree more!! I think he is an upgrade over Neasman athletically. Bigger and likely quicker. Definitely more adept playmaker. 

44 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Couldn’t agree more!! I think he is an upgrade over Neasman athletically. Bigger and likely quicker. Definitely more adept playmaker. 

I didnt realize how versatile Hawkins was when I initially reviewed him. He can really play both safety spots. He may be more DeCoud after all, hopefully a better tackler and not as many locker room shenanigans lol

9 hours ago, MarkMc44 said:

I wonder what John Lynch's 40 time was. Could Marlon Davidson be our Warren Sapp?

GO FALCONS!!!!

When I was typing that, Lynch had come to my mind actually. His elite football IQ and instincts totally made up for a lack of elite athleticism and he was a perennial pro bowler.  

Lynch ran a 4.64 40 at his pro day, so he was probably slower than that coming out

As a box safety, it's less important you have long speed and far more important you have good recognition and that you are more "quick" than fast.  A box safety rarely is asked to cover a faster RB or TE the full length of the field on man. Typically a box safety is in charge of what is in front of him.

Draftscout has Hawkins 40 yard dash at 4.50 , not sure where they got that from but that is plenty fast enough for a box safety. His closing speed and range are much more important than long speed.

10 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Dude, I guarantee 95% of AFMB did not watch a single game from CAL last year or the year before. They simply don’t know who this guy is...and because of that, he MUST be a scrub :rolleyes:

I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing I’ve seen this guy play more than anyone else on this board.  Including 7  Cal games I attended.

I personally like the pick , and think you all will love this kid when you learn more about him.  He’s an old school thumper and is extremely physical,    I  keep hearing from the experts that he isn’t very fast, but when you watch him in person the dude can cover a lot of ground.    Smart kid with a great attitude and I’ve never seen him quit on a play.  

I don’t care what the experts say, he passes the eye test, I’m telling you.  He’ll turn heads in camp.  Too many on this board are discounting a player they don’t know. 

52 minutes ago, BendFalcon said:

I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing I’ve seen this guy play more than anyone else on this board.  Including 7  Cal games I attended.

I personally like the pick , and think you all will love this kid when you learn more about him.  He’s an old school thumper and is extremely physical,    I  keep hearing from the experts that he isn’t very fast, but when you watch him in person the dude can cover a lot of ground.    Smart kid with a great attitude and I’ve never seen him quit on a play.  

I don’t care what the experts say, he passes the eye test, I’m telling you.  He’ll turn heads in camp.  Too many on this board are discounting a player they don’t know. 

Ok

12 hours ago, BendFalcon said:

Did Cal blitz him very much? I watched one game and most of the time he is sitting deep. But the first play of the game he was pressing a WR on the line and abused the **** out of him. 

10 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Exactly what I see out of him he definitely likes contact! However we still need upgrade at FS!!

I just think the FO likes Kazee and Rico too much. Next year is a great FS class though, so I hope that’s our first pick in 2021. Just to name a few:

1. Jevon Holland, Oregon
  2. Trevon Moehrig, TCU
  3. Richard Lecounte III, Georgia
12 hours ago, BendFalcon said:

The way we are going to use him, his 40 yard dash time is less important than his physicality, closing speed, range and football intelligence.  His skill set appears  perfect for box safety in NFL just as Neal’s did.

Truth be known, Neal ran a 4.59 40 at the combine and I’m sure Hawkins would have come in at or under that. Plenty enough to play box here.  I think he’s a dark horse, flying in well under the radar with our fanbase. 

37 minutes ago, gazoo said:

The way we are going to use him, his 40 yard dash time is less important than his physicality, closing speed, range and football intelligence.  His skill set appears  perfect for box safety in NFL just as Neal’s did.

Truth be known, Neal ran a 4.59 40 at the combine and I’m sure Hawkins would have come in at or under that. Plenty enough to play box here.  I think he’s a dark horse, flying in well under the radar with our fanbase. 

Jamal Adams ran a 4.56. I think Hawkins would have been in that range which is plenty fast enough for a box safety.