Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnrealfalcoN

Mykal Walker #119: thoughts?

I can't pretend like i know anything about him, so I'll have to watch the film. His measurables sound good though. I wouldn't mind seeing the falcons get another LB with the second 4th round pick. Let these guys compete

Walker wasn't on my radar but looking at 5 minutes of video of him I'm not sure why he wasn't.  Dude looks like a solid player.  What do we need in a LB that plays the Campbell role?...can cover, has physicality / is a good tackler, ability to rush the passer periodically, instinctive...this guy appears to check all these boxes.  Played 2 yrs and was all conference first team both years, that tells me that he's consistently good.  MVP of his bowl or championship game, again tells me the guy makes plays.

Going into today I was struggling to find a LB that I really liked.  I had Troy Dye on my list as instinctive and playmaker but I didn't love his physicality.  At first glance I like what I see from Walker way more than Dye.  Could be a sneaky good pick by TD.

I like him a lot. Had him as a 3rd-4th rounder. He’s incredibly stout versus blockers, and his closing speed is fantastic. Watch his game versus USC. He was the only guy on that defense doing anything. Can rush the passer and play the run off ball. Perfect SLB prototype.

You guys will love his hard nosed style of play. 

21 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Quinn is EXCELLENT at picking linebackers.  The only one he really missed on was Duke Riley.

I won’t question the pick.  Looks fast and stout.

ran a 4.65 at combine.

6’3” and 230.  Frame to add 10lbs of good weight.

DQ is actually a pretty solid defensive talent evaluator. He was found some good players for us in the middle rounds. I actually prefer that we draft defensive players in the middle rounds due to him. He has his faults but I don’t think that’s one of the . 

2 minutes ago, FalconDawg28 said:

DQ is actually a pretty solid defensive talent evaluator. He was found some good players for us in the middle rounds. I actually prefer that we draft defensive players in the middle rounds due to him. He has his faults but I don’t think that’s one of the . 

I am sure Ulbrich has a lot of sway in the evaluations as well and we know he’s great.

19 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

People are saying Campbell replacement but he looks more physical and stronger than Campbell. Campbell was soft and played smaller than he was. Walker looks to play a lot bigger than 230. 

I've never seen Campbell make a play like Walker did against USC. Holy crap. 

Read my mind.. campbell was soft. This dude is not 

1 minute ago, Birdbrains9 said:

Read my mind.. campbell was soft. This dude is not 

It's been a common theme with who we've picked so far. Just a bunch of football players who love the game and play hard. I said last season Quinn and TD have assembled a lot of athletes and not enough football players. It seems like they have recognized a weakness with the team. Hennessy is more of a technician but plays with a lot of urgency. 

Look at the examples. Tru was cut and Vic and Campbell were allowed to walk. Three players that had their passion, mental makeup, and intangibles questioned a lot. Those are strengths for the guys we've drafted so far. I love it.

35 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

People are saying Campbell replacement but he looks more physical and stronger than Campbell. Campbell was soft and played smaller than he was. Walker looks to play a lot bigger than 230. 

I've never seen Campbell make a play like Walker did against USC. Holy crap. 

Okay Campbell Upgrade same thing

27 minutes ago, FalconDawg28 said:

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I am sure Ulbrich has a lot of sway in the evaluations as well and we know he’s great.

Yep. If anything, it’s been his selection/management of the coaching staff under him that has held this team back.

Who changes DB coach middle of an atrocious Defensive 8 game stretch to open a season; bad even for FALCON history, and immediately the defense becomes one of the best in the league to close out the back half?

Offense got worse and we went 6-2 and defense was GOOD at getting to the QB and GREAT at getting off the field on 3rd down.

If rookies and year 2&3 dudes progress? If Neal is healthy as well?

Defense can be Legit.

Posted (edited)

Walker is a SAM backer all day. He will start in Base as such. Deion in the middle and Foye at weakside.

Foye will get all of Campbells old snaps in nickel.

I like his physical profile, his body type is closer to Beasley than Campbell. He will be the SLB/Edge we wanted Beasley to be as far as position versatility. Beasley could never actually play LB well despite lining up and being listed as a base Backer. Walker will be able to handle actual LB reads as well as handle edge responsibilities. Great pick that allows us more flexibility to go from under to over fronts with the same LB personnel

Edited by LightningDawg58

15 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Walker is a SAM backer all day. He will start in Base as such. Deion in the middle and Foye at weakside.

Foye will get all of Campbells old snaps in nickel.

I like his physical profile, his body type is closer to Beasley than Campbell. He will be the SLB/Edge we wanted Beasley to be as far as position versatility. Beasley could never actually play LB well despite lining up and being listed as a base Backer. Walker will be able to handle actual LB reads as well as handle edge responsibilities. Great pick that allows us more flexibility to go from under to over fronts with the same LB personnel

And Foye DeBo as the Nickel LBs, so Walker’s question marks in coverage isnt exposed.

Easily use Walker as a 5th rusher in base D from SAM.

He was on my "Mock Draft"...

Wait, I didn't have one, so.... 

I'm not upset about this pick!  Welcome to the team Mykal!  Now get out there and do that voodoo, that you do, so wellllllll!!!  (That's get out there and lay the lumber on opposing RB's, QB's and anything else in your radar!).