Observation on our first 3 picks

Terrell, Davidson and Hennessy each have a ton of college experience and are pretty much ready to start,  IF we need them to. In fact, all 3 are considered NFL STARTERS on their draft profiles. 

I know that no pick is a guaranty, just saying what it looks like at this point. All 3 of our players were on Gil Brandt’s top 38 players in the draft and he also said they are essentially plug and play. There will be no need for any of these picks to burn a season up sitting on the bench developing before they can help us improve. 

This is not usually the case with our drafts.

Of our top 3 picks in 2019, only Lindstrom fit that category. We all knew McGary was raw and need development, and Sheffield definitely wasn’t ready to start. While all 3 were considered potential starters, 2 weren’t ready.

Of  our top 3 picks in 2018, Ridley was ready to go, but Oliver was a project and Senat was never considered starter level material.

Of our top 3 picks in 2017, Takk was going to start, but Duke Riley was raw and Sean Harlow never was considered starting material.

Of our top picks in 2016, Neal and Jones were ready to go, but Hooper was a project needing considerable development.

Of our top 3 picks in 2015, Vic Beasley was considered ready to go,  but Collins was raw and Tevan Coleman considered a rotating back. 

And don’t make me do 2014, Matthews a starter, but Hageman and Southward were nowhere close to ready to go.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terrell, Davidson and Hennessy each have a ton of college experience and are pretty much ready to start,  IF we need them to. In fact, all 3 are considered NFL STARTERS on their draft profiles. 

I'm confused as to why people are so upset. I know for a fact I saw Hennessy and Davidson talked up alot and a sprinkle of Terrell and now all of a sudden it's the worst draft in x amount of years or

I wasn’t sure until I listened to the 30 minute press conference with TD and DQ being asked questions.  A TON of outstanding info in that. DQ said they think Hennessy has a good chance to start a

Posted Images

Pretty sure the plan rn is to have Hennessy sit behind Mack/compete at LG, Terrell compete at CB (most likely starts but we'll see), Davidson playing some nickel DT mostly...don't see all 3 being ready to start at all. I'll say this much - I love the players, lil iffy on the draft

14 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Pretty sure the plan rn is to have Hennessy sit behind Mack/compete at LG, Terrell compete at CB (most likely starts but we'll see), Davidson playing some nickel DT mostly...don't see all 3 being ready to start at all. I'll say this much - I love the players, lil iffy on the draft

I wasn’t sure until I listened to the 30 minute press conference with TD and DQ being asked questions.  A TON of outstanding info in that.

DQ said they think Hennessy has a good chance to start at LG this season. That’s where they are going to play him this season. He’ll have to win the job over others of course. DQ said because of his intelligence, he won’t have any problems picking up the new position and that he played some guard in senior bowl against top competition and played well. Definitely sounded like to me like DQ feels he’s got a good chance to start at LG possibly right away.  

On Davidson, I see Falcons using him like Patriots did Trey Flowers.  They plan on playing him inside on nickel and outside on running downs. They thought he was going to be gone long before their pick. His lateral quickness and agility for such a huge player will be beneficial on stunts from DE.

Another thing DQ pointed out with Terrell and Davidson was there guys have been playing at a very high level against top competition for many years. Their pedigrees he said will make the transition to NFL quick and smooth.

The OP is saying they appear to all be starter quality and starter capable this year if needed, but is not predicting they will all be starters this year.

When we are talking about Marlon Davidson at DL, I realize your base set will have Tyeler Davidson and Grady Jarret on running downs.  

That said, I would not be surprised to see Marlon Davidson kick outside on many early downs  and end up with as many or more snaps than Tyeler by year’s end. 

9 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I wasn’t sure until I listened to the 30 minute press conference with TD and DQ being asked questions.  A TON of outstanding info in that.

DQ said they think Hennessy has a good chance to start at LG this season. That’s where they are going to play him this season. He’ll have to win the job over others of course. DQ said because of his intelligence, he won’t have any problems picking up the new position and that he played guard in senior bowl against top competition and played well. Definitely sounded like to me like DQ feels he’s got a good chance to start at LG possibly right away.  

On Davidson, they plan on playing him inside on nickel and outside on running downs. They thought he was going to be gone long before their pick. 

Another thing DQ pointed out with Terrell and Davidson was there guys have been playing at a very high level against top competition for many years. Their pedigrees he said will make the transition to NFL smooth.

I mean, I hope so. I really do. 

Side note, I was surprised Davidson was still there too. He was getting some Rd 1 hype. And I don't have to tell you how much I love Hennessy.

It's just...it sucks knowing the FO thinks Rico, Neal, and Kazee are a special unit. Seriously think they were the worst part of this team last year. Hope to God Neal comes back playing better and Rico doesn't do so much bonehead hero ball ****. He gets off easy on TATF because he's "making up for others mistakes." He's the FS. He's supposed to do that and more. Not my fault he can't get places fast enough. And he made his share last year too...

Anyways, /rant. Hope Winfield is absolute cheeks for the Bucs

8 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I mean, I hope so. I really do. 

Side note, I was surprised Davidson was still there too. He was getting some Rd 1 hype. And I don't have to tell you how much I love Hennessy.

It's just...it sucks knowing the FO thinks Rico, Neal, and Kazee are a special unit. Seriously think they were the worst part of this team last year. Hope to God Neal comes back playing better and Rico doesn't do so much bonehead hero ball ****. He gets off easy on TATF because he's "making up for others mistakes." He's the FS. He's supposed to do that and more. Not my fault he can't get places fast enough. And he made his share last year too...

Anyways, /rant. Hope Winfield is absolute cheeks for the Bucs

Yeah, we have some work to do at S and I’m not counting on Neal to get back to form after 2 years of injuries. It sucks, he was so good, but I just don’t see him being the player he once was. 

TD said enthusiastically when asked that there are a lot of players they have their eyes on that dropped, that can help them that are on the board right now that may be there with their two 4th round picks. 

30 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Henessey is the eventual starter at C but he will have to beat out Jamon Brown for LG, and I think Davidson will be a rotational player for us on the DL at DT/DE. 

Absolutely. Tyeler is a lock in base set at DT. DQ said exactly that about Marlon, inside on passing downs and bumps outside on running downs. I can see him getting a ton of snaps this season.

9 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Absolutely. Tyeler is a lock in base set at DT. DQ said exactly that about Marlon, inside on passing downs and bumps outside on running downs. I can see him getting a ton of snaps this season.

Just saw the interview...interesting what they said about Henessey. He does have good pulling ability, so I can see him starting at LG. This has been a good draft for us.

2 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Just saw the interview...interesting what they said about Henessey. He does have good pulling ability, so I can see him starting at LG. This has been a good draft for us.

A lot of really good info in that interview on how we plan on using these picks. I was under impression Hennessy would pretty much sit this year behind Mack, but DQ was pretty clear he’s going to get a legitimate shot to start at LG.

I think with Matthews on one side and Mack on other, with his intelligence and superior technique, it’s not out of question he could win that starting LG. It’s exciting to see this OL start taking shape. If we don’t have injuries it could be the best line Ryan has had, or at least as good as the 2016. A lot of young talent. 

I made the comp that Davidson will be used like Clayborn.

DQ made the comp that he will used like Bailey. 

The DL will be a rotation, but depending on how he performs its not a reach that DQ will have Davidson lined up at DE in base packages as a starter.

Takk and Fowler are your bookends in nickel, but in base only one of them will be on the field (Fowler starts)

Bailey and Davidson are your base 5T's, whoever wins in camp is the starter, the other is the backup.

Im not elated about the idea of Henny at LG. He is a quick, nimble blocker who does well to move his feet and wall off his guy. I dont like him 1 on 1 with big DTs. He is smart and heady when it comes to combo blocks. I think he will be a good C but average at best at LG. 

I also dont ever evaluate linemen so I could easily be wrong. I just noticed that he rarely pushes his guy back. He is a reach blocker who is more likely to use the defenders momentum against him and get him off balance that way than knock him off the ball. I think he needs to get stronger and take advantage of learning from Mack.

But if he is good enough to beat out the vets ahead of him then so be it. 

3 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Im not elated about the idea of Henny at LG. He is a quick, nimble blocker who does well to move his feet and wall off his guy. I dont like him 1 on 1 with big DTs. He is smart and heady when it comes to combo blocks. I think he will be a good C but average at best at LG. 

I also dont ever evaluate linemen so I could easily be wrong. I just noticed that he rarely pushes his guy back. He is a reach blocker who is more likely to use the defenders momentum against him and get him off balance that way than knock him off the ball. I think he needs to get stronger and take advantage of learning from Mack.

I do agree about Hennessy. He needs to get stronger in his base to become a starter at guard in the nfl. Hopefully that happens

18 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

I do agree about Hennessy. He needs to get stronger in his base to become a starter at guard in the nfl. Hopefully that happens

I believe in the Ryan years since 2008, the best OL he’s had was in 2016.

Our LG that year was the diminutive 6’2”, 303lbs Andy Levitre and he was solid as a rock.  He was a mobile technician that always did his job. He was never going to overpower anyone, but you also didn’t get by him much.

I also think Hennessy could easily add 5 or 6 pounds, get up to 313lbs and maintain that weight all season.  That would be 10lbs heavier than Levitre was.

So rookie Hennessy is bigger and actually stronger than Levitre was. Hennessy has and overall more muscular frame than Levitre had, particularly a little bit thicker, more powerful  lower body.

We don’t need a road grading pancake blocker at LG in our scheme. You get a really good technician who can kick out and block at second level and also is strong enough to hold his ground in pass protection and you’ve got a 2016  Levitre.  

I'm confused as to why people are so upset. I know for a fact I saw Hennessy and Davidson talked up alot and a sprinkle of Terrell and now all of a sudden it's the worst draft in x amount of years or these players suck. I dont understand the inconsistency at all. 

Stay woke

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I'm confused as to why people are so upset. I know for a fact I saw Hennessy and Davidson talked up alot and a sprinkle of Terrell and now all of a sudden it's the worst draft in x amount of years or these players suck. I dont understand the inconsistency at all. 

Stay woke

cause apparently we got the best GMs in pro football right on our very on boards. all of them have their own scouts and are far superior to TD when it comes to drafting players. just look at all the Super Bowls they've won over the years 

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

Yeah, we have some work to do at S and I’m not counting on Neal to get back to form after 2 years of injuries. It sucks, he was so good, but I just don’t see him being the player he once was. 

TD said enthusiastically when asked that there are a lot of players they have their eyes on that dropped, that can help them that are on the board right now that may be there with their two 4th round picks. 

He might be moved to LB. He could be an enforcer there and not have to have the big wheels.

4 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

After watching our LG play last year I will gladly take an "Average" LG this year

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Stay woke

Because they bought into all the trade up hype. And when it didn’t happen they were going to complain regardless because we didn’t get the “big name” prospects

5 hours ago, gazoo said:

DQ said they think Hennessy has a good chance to start at LG this season. That’s where they are going to play him this season. He’ll have to win the job over others of course. DQ said because of his intelligence, he won’t have any problems picking up the new position and that he played some guard in senior bowl against top competition and played well. Definitely sounded like to me like DQ feels he’s got a good chance to start at LG possibly right away.  

On Davidson, they plan on playing him inside on nickel and outside on running downs. They thought he was going to be gone long before their pick. His lateral quickness and agility for such a huge player will be beneficial on stunts from DE.

Another thing DQ pointed out with Terrell and Davidson was there guys have been playing at a very high level against top competition for many years. Their pedigrees he said will make the transition to NFL quick and smooth.

Yeah, Hennessy has experience at C/G/T so he will be fine.  And Davidson will play 3T in nickel and some on the outside.  I loved yesterday’s picks.  Still not in love with Terrell but that’s ok

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

I believe in the Ryan years since 2008, the best OL he’s had was in 2016.

Our LG that year was the diminutive 6’2”, 303lbs Andy Levitre and he was solid as a rock.  He was a mobile technician that always did his job. He was never going to overpower anyone, but you also didn’t get by him much.

I also think Hennessy could easily add 5 or 6 pounds, get up to 313lbs and maintain that weight all season.  That would be 10lbs heavier than Levitre was.

So rookie Hennessy is bigger and actually stronger than Levitre was. Hennessy has a little bit thicker, more powerful  lower body.

We don’t need a road grading pancake blocker at LG in our scheme. You get a really good technician who can kick out and block at second level and also is strong enough to hold his ground in pass protection and you’ve got a 2016  Levitre.  

Henny is definitely a technician and you can tell how smart he is out there. I think this pick more than need really reflects TD and DQ wanting guys that dont need their hand held to learn over the phone and video chat. Henny is probably already the smartest guy in the OL room outside of Mack who just has him in the wisdom/experience department. But you can tell the Left side will be the Technical side once again, meanwhile McGary and Lindstrom are the more more physical duo

Edited by LightningDawg58

Heard a good explanation for why Andrew Thomas was the 1st OT taken that applies here.

With the start of the season uncertain and quite likely no OTAs and/or shortened camps, the players who had more college experience and were better prepared to play from day 1 were more valuable.