Jump to content

Logic in Rounds 2-3, not fanatical mocks/desires


Recommended Posts

This off-season has been about replacing the Falcons players that were cut or no retained with "new" guys almost at a 1-1 ratio:

Fowler for Beasley

Gurley for Freeman

Hurst for Hooper

Terrell for Trufant

 

We still must replace 900+ snaps lost from Clayborn & Crawford (combined) and the 900+ snaps lost from Campbell at SLB...those two positions (or three) will be 2 out of our next 3 picks or 3 out of our next 4 picks

Any other position or area is a wildcard, but is merely a luxury pick (ie great player that falls)

 

I assume Cominsky will take an increase in snaps from 100 to 500 to off-set some of the Clayborn/Crawford snaps, but that still leaves us needing a  significant contributor that is an inside/outside rusher/Base DE

We now have a total roster at CB and to many of you we have three (3) safeties on the roster with significant starting time...plus several backups...I dont think we draft anymore DBs...

 

Rounds 2-3: DL, DE, LB will be the two picks...go look at the thread with prospect visits and pick a couple out.

Round 4 (x2): if not used to trade up, this is where we get a luxury pick or depth pick on OL or WR

 

It's that simple people...

 

My hope:

2. Justin Madabuike DT (3T & DE)

3. Logan Wilson LB (SLB)...I think we trade up for him

4. OL or DL depth

7. WR depth

 

 

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan
Link to post
Share on other sites

DL and LB make the most sense. Like others, I wonder how much TD & DQ are looking at S...there are snaps to replace on DL but they may be assuming Takk will be healthier, Cominsky will get significant snaps, and/or who knows what else. LB is a no-brainer, and since it's probably the least deep with prospects, I'd be floored if we didn't have one picked after today. I think we're going to move up as well, I just wonder if its going to be a 2020 or 2021 pick we package to do so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

DL and LB make the most sense. Like others, I wonder how much TD & DQ are looking at S...there are snaps to replace on DL but they may be assuming Takk will be healthier, Cominsky will get significant snaps, and/or who knows what else. LB is a no-brainer, and since it's probably the least deep with prospects, I'd be floored if we didn't have one picked after today. I think we're going to move up as well, I just wonder if its going to be a 2020 or 2021 pick we package to do so.

Even if COminsky sees significant snaps from his 100 of a year ago, I wouldnt see him significantly surpassing the 450 and 550 of Clayborn and Crawford due to the rotation...so I peg him as on of those significant contributors with the Falcons still needing to get a contributor to take 500 snaps. I just dont see that being anyone else on the DL...

As for Takk, he was playing in roughly 60% of snaps before injury...I wouldnt expect more than that and his total being 550-600 snaps considering after three seasons, his totals are 400, 618, and 546...I just dont see him getting much more reps...

A DL with ability to play inside and outside along with a SLB are the two picks tonight...looking at the players remaining, I think there is a dropoff on the DL that isnt there for that SLB role that may or may not get significant nickel snaps depending on how Falcons perceive Foye as a nickel backer...

I think the picks go DL then LB?

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sipifalcon said:

Hoping we can get ms state lb Gay and Winfield or Delpit today.

I highly doubt this front office drafts anyone that didnt workout at the combine and/or doesnt have a verified 40 time on at a position that it actually matters (safety).

Gay isnt a SLB and Winfield is a S, of which we have three (3) starters on our roster to fill two spots...just not going to happen...

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

This off-season has been about replacing the Falcons players that were cut or no retained with "new" guys almost at a 1-1 ratio:

Fowler for Beasley

Gurley for Freeman

Hurst for Hooper

Terrell for Trufant

 

We still must replace 900+ snaps lost from Clayborn & Crawford (combined) and the 900+ snaps lost from Campbell at SLB...those two positions (or three) will be 2 out of our next 3 picks or 3 out of our next 4 picks

Any other position or area is a wildcard, but is merely a luxury pick (ie great player that falls)

 

We now have a total roster at CB and to many of you we have three (3) safeties on the roster with significant starting time...plus several backups...I dont think we draft anymore DBs...

 

Rounds 2-3: DL, DE, LB will be the two picks...go look at the thread with prospect visits and pick a couple out.

Round 4 (x2): if not used to trade up, this is where we get a luxury pick or depth pick on OL or WR

 

It's that simple people...

 

My hope:

2. Justin Madabuike DT (3T & DE)

3. Logan Wilson LB (SLB)...I think we trade up for him

4. OL or DL depth

7. WR depth

 

 

Solid thought process...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NWFALCON said:

Clay and Crawford snaps can be picked up by Cominsky, Tuioti Mariner, Senat, and Bailey. I think the first two get a legit shot at snaps. 

Bailey wont see a load increase from his snap counts last year...

Senat is a mystery, but I dont see him as someone taking up snaps form Crawrford and Clayborn as he isnt an outside rusher nor an inside rusher

Tuioti Mariner is not someone I want to rely on 500 snaps for a season...he's practice squad player

Cominsky - I am already baking in an increase form 100 snaps to 500 spans for Cominsky...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jidady said:

I don't care how we get there. I just want us to leave this draft with a viable rookie safety, OLB, and DE/DT who can drop a QB and put up a fight in the run game.

Not gonna happen. We have three (3) starters at S right now, plus plenty of depth guys. I know its uncertain if Neal comes back, but I dont see us addressing S in this draft unless its with a 7th round pick

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Madabuike will be the pick. I don’t want it to but he fits the fast a light model of interior lineman DQ likes. 
Hope we add more size though. I think people forget how bad our run defense was last year. Grady couldn’t do it all and when he gets tired even he gets pushed around some. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GleasonForever! said:

I think Madabuike will be the pick. I don’t want it to but he fits the fast a light model of interior lineman DQ likes. 
Hope we add more size though. I think people forget how bad our run defense was last year. Grady couldn’t do it all and when he gets tired even he gets pushed around some. 

I think our coaches and FO see it a little differently considering the contract handed out to Davison as a run stopping NT and still having Senat on the roster. Also the contract adjustment to Bailey looks like the more run stopping 3T to rotate with Grady as opposed to a 3T pass rusher with some outside ability...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Drvillain said:

What does he offer that Cominsky doesn't?

He's slower and less athletic but he's more polished. He's a classic high floor low ceiling guy who's gunna be a good rotation al NFL DE. At least in my perspective 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Birdbrains9 said:

With all the talent still available i can see a guy like A.J Espensa to us. 

 

1 minute ago, Drvillain said:

What does he offer that Cominsky doesn't?

I'd tend to agree that I think they are one in the same and Cominsky is the superior athlete. Also, Epenesa didnt do much rushing form the interior (670 snaps outside OT vs 38 snaps B Gap)...I think Falcons are looking for someone with both skill sets.

I think that guy is Madubuike b/c he lined up all over the place last year:

        A Gap (75 snaps), B Gap (435 snaps), Over OT (23 snaps), and outside OT (42 snaps)

        Clearly he is a 3T with some outside ability as a Base DE or could be used simultaneously with Grady

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice thread.. Thank you for starting it.

I am pretty much in agreement with where you are.

 

I think Bailey also is going to get some more snaps and  I could certainly see Tuioti-Mariner  also get some more time.....  AS I have been re-watching some of the later games.. he really stood out asa guy who was   getting after it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fired Up said:

I love the idea of Hamilton or Harrison in rounds three and four if we can make that happen. To me, I would love to see

R2: Winfield/Chinn

R3: Davon Hamilton

R4: Malik Harrison

I'd be very very happy. 

I think ya'll are missing the point here...we arent taking a S based on our roster and Hamilton is strictly a NT/0T, of which we have two (2) on the roster and it still wouldnt fill the void from Clayborn/Crawford

Stop mocking and thinking with your highlight desires and actually look at our roster objectively.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fired Up said:

He's slower and less athletic but he's more polished. He's a classic high floor low ceiling guy who's gunna be a good rotation al NFL DE. At least in my perspective 

That's fair, but I feel funny about using a 2nd rounder on someone that fits that description. Especially when we have a RAW more athletic version on the roster already.

Edited by Drvillain
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Nice thread.. Thank you for starting it.

I am pretty much in agreement with where you are.

 

I think Bailey also is going to get some more snaps and  I could certainly see Tuioti-Mariner  also get some more time.....  AS I have been re-watching some of the later games.. he really stood out asa guy who was   getting after it.

 

Bailey played 514 snaps last year, but prior to week 9, he was averaging about 65% of snaps on DL...after week (6-2 record for Falcons and better defense) he was averaging about 35% of defensive snaps...

I dont see his role increasing in 2020...I think if anything it regresses a tad bit, but remains a solid contributor as a rotational 3T and Base DE

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...