Eagles tried to trade up to 16

D.B.N.

2 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

If they were willing to give up much, we should have traded.

Adding a 2nd or 3rd in this draft would help a lot.  And a lot of the CB were similar.

would have to know the compensation before I could render a verdict.    Apparently they thought the dropoff was too severe between AJ and the next best corner.

1 minute ago, Mister pudding said:

It makes sense to stay if Terrell was the guy they really wanted. I applaud the inaction on the temptation if that's the case

Yeah.  If they graded him a 90 and the next best CB an 80...then stay.

But if they graded him an 86 and the next 3 CBs 84...gotta learn to trade back.  They've done this consistently enough that it seems clear they don't trade back even when there are similar talents at the same position available later.

5 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Adding a 2nd or 3rd in this draft would help a lot.  And a lot of the CB were similar.

There is zero chance the offered a second. If they had, we would have accepted. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot

Since it's come up again, here's what I just said in the other thread:

"By the updated value chart, this would indicate that Philly should have offered either the #103 and #146 picks or a swap of our #78 for their #53 to move  up."

You can decide from there whether you would have stayed or traded down.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

would have to know the compensation before I could render a verdict.    Apparently they thought the dropoff was too severe between AJ and the next best corner.

Yep, vale chart says our pick at 78 would have been appropriate value...Eagles don’t have a 3rd though (Slay trade) . So if they really liked AJ that much, you don’t trade down for later picks or mid rounders next year.

5 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Philly's 3rd rounder is only a comp pick - so 103rd pick in draft.  Philly's 2nd rounder was #53 overall.    Giving the Falcons that pick would have been an overpay but that is probably the pick the Falcons wanted to move down if they really valued Terrell.

Philly probably said that was too much and discussion ended.   2021 picks have no allure for a GM on the hot seat.

1 minute ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Obviously the Falcons disagree.

Yeah, I covered that in my next post.  They just consistently take guys early when similar guys are available substantially later.  It's fine to get your guy, but it's a poor value play over time.

Like I said, if they graded him at 90 and the next corner a 80, sure take him.  But if he and 5 other corners were all between 87 and 83...trade back and get yourself an extra pick (could even have used it for another corner in the 3rd/4th if you wanted)

2 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah.  If they graded him a 90 and the next best CB an 80...then stay.

But if they graded him an 86 and the next 3 CBs 84...gotta learn to trade back.  They've done this consistently enough that it seems clear they don't trade back even when there are similar talents at the same position available later.

We have done a pretty good job evaluating CB talent actually. 

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Philly's 3rd rounder is only a comp pick - so 103rd pick in draft.  Philly's 2nd rounder was #53 overall.    Giving the Falcons that pick would have been an overpay but that is probably the pick the Falcons wanted to move down if they really valued Terrell.

Philly probably said that was too much and discussion ended.   2021 picks have no allure for a GM on the hot seat.

I probably would have done it for 3rd and 4th.  Use those as luxury picks to take a WR and RB or double dip at corner.

Still get a similarly rated corner in the 1st.  But again, depends on how big a dropoff they thought it was.

3 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

We have done a pretty good job evaluating CB talent actually. 

I just meant generally.

But yeah.  That's why I hoped they'd move back to late 1st or early 2nd.  I thought we could use the good scouting of CBs to help us get value a bit later.  Or even a trade up in the 2nd.

I got no big problem w it though.

Just now, takeitdown said:

I just meant generally.

But yeah.  That's why I hoped they'd move back to late 1st or early 2nd.  I thought we could use the good scouting of CBs to help us get value a bit later.  Or even a trade up in the 2nd.

I got no big problem w it though.

I wasn't expecting the run on CB. I was actually hoping for Noah in the 2nd. Wasn't really elated when we picked at 16, but in hindsight I'm glad we pulled the trigger 

13 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Really hope Terrell works out.

With guys like Murray, Queen, Gladney, Blacklock, Winfield, Delpit, Uche, Baun, Gallimore, Chinn, etc. being on the board at pick 21, That trade could have been the difference between us having the capital to bring in another impact starter or 2..

Most of those players are available now and one or more will be available at 47. 

1 minute ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Define "right" call.

You can make an argument Jalen Collins was the right call by how he played.

yeah technically we've done well with DBs since Quinn has been coach, DE and OL is where we seem to be cursed.