Analysis on the A.J. Terrell pick

I understand the initial disappointment of the pick as it seems that Kinlaw just slipped through our fingers.  But realistically, A.J. Terrell was the logical pick considering who was left on the board.  I know some will argue we should have traded down but this year much more than others there didn't seem to be much of an appetite for trading picks.  Given all of the uncertainty and unusual circumstances teams felt it was best to trust their evaluations and pick the best player on their boards.

As far as an analysis of the player, Terrell is an explosive athlete that pretty consistently played on the highest national stage but not always with the best of results (see National Title game).  I would argue though that we are putting much more stock in that game maybe than it deserves due to recency bias. That one game made half of the LSU roster a ton of money by elevating their stock come draft day rightly or not.(ie. Queen, Chaisson).  

The inconsistency in his play is concerning but what is more concerning to me is the lack of ball skills.  We don't have one player on our roster with ballhawking ability outside of Kazee (who likely won't even be a starter).  While we added a very talented player to our secondary I am very concerned about our ability to create turnovers with our current personnel.  There are still some talented safeties on the board that could change that but they will likely require a trade up from 47.

Just now, TheUsualStuff said:

He'll be a solid #2 corner in a couple of years. It's not whether or not he'll be a contributor at some point... it's about taking him at #16 when they probably could have traded back and still got him.

What proof of evidence do you have that the Falcons could have traded back?  I hear this all over the board.   TRADE BACK!!  It takes 2 teams to trade back

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

If we land delpit or Winfield at 47 that's a great start. I doubt there would be any complaining if we took delpit or Winfield at 16 and Terrell at 47

What if it happens the other way around since there was essentially 0% chance Terrell was lasting to 47?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000001104965/A-J-Terrell-s-2020-NFL-Scouting-Combine-workout

His combine workout. Honestly, he looked the best in drills out of all CBs. So fluid in transitions and explosive. He had a bad LSU game, but there were some good plays by Chase. The confidence Clemson had in him though is what ATL wants day 1...

Him and Oliver on the outside with Sheffield in the slot

31 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

He'll be a solid #2 corner in a couple of years. It's not whether or not he'll be a contributor at some point... it's about taking him at #16 when they probably could have traded back and still got him.

6 CB's went off the board in the 1st round, and the Raiders were supposedly considering taking Terrell at 12 instead of Ruggs, so we know darn well they would have taken him at 19 instead of Arnette.

Terrell is a project.  There aren’t many elite receivers in the ACC and he was pedestrian in CFP.  Clemson front 7 creates a lot of pressure up front, often forcing opposing QBs to make errant throws to make plays on.  Falcons don’t generate that kind of pass rush.  Terrell will need to hold up on coverage.  

The 2019 highlights doesn’t look all that great. There were better option at 14  I don’t get this pick at all.   

https://youtu.be/9Ms6Abn-EeM

Edited by cyofish

39 minutes ago, IA Falcon07 said:

I would venture a guess they even tried to trade back given they waited nearly the full 10 minutes to make the selection.

Bengals took the entire 10, so did Washington. Both said they was no chance they'd move on from either pick. Still no evidence that they could have traded back.. 

43 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

I think you are wrong.  I think he will be a very good #1 CB for us.  I think he is an upgrade over Trufant, who was always over rated.  

8 minutes ago, cyofish said:

Terrell is a project.  There aren’t many elite receivers in the ACC and he was pedestrian in CFP..  The 2019 highlights doesn’t look all that great. There were better option at 14  I don’t get this pick at all.   

Precisely. Don't let logic get in the way of the narrative of those here.  Great post!!

5 minutes ago, cyofish said:

Terrell is a project.  There aren’t many elite receivers in the ACC and he was pedestrian in CFP..  The 2019 highlights doesn’t look all that great. There were better option at 14  I don’t get this pick at all.   

Most of the other corners on the board weren't in a blitz heavy defense that left their players on an island with zero help over the top.  This is a boom or bust defensive scheme a la Eagles style cover zeros. 

You get beat from time to time, he was in Chase's backpocket for a majority of the game, and was playing against probably the best college offense ever.

I love the fact that he had the confidence to shadow Chase so much during the natty.  He got beat but also made plays himself as well.

2 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

Most of the other corners on the board weren't in a blitz heavy defense that left their players on an island with zero help over the top.  This is a boom or bust defensive scheme a la Eagles style cover zeros. 

You get beat from time to time, he was in Chase's backpocket for a majority of the game, and was playing against probably the best college offense ever.

I love the fact that he had the confidence to shadow Chase so much during the natty.  He got beat but also made plays himself as well.

Hmmm....seems like someone else did that more successfully and had a longer career against more qualified opponents...Hmmmm....And definitely more lock-down than AJ.

6 minutes ago, cyofish said:

Terrell is a project.

Not sure how anyone can think this.  It's just a silly assertion.

Terrell has some of the quickest feet and most fluid hips I've seen in a while.  Compare his combine workout to Okudah's and Henderson's, and you'd walk away believing Terrell was absolutely the more polished looking CB.  Dude i silky-smooth with his body control.

Like Keanu Neal, he's going to come out day one as a starter and surprise everyone. Will probably get some rookie PI penalties, but he'll do the job well enough.

55 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

What team agreed to a trade?  I would like to know more about the offer we rejected.

52 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

What proof of evidence do you have that the Falcons could have traded back?  I hear this all over the board.   TRADE BACK!!  It takes 2 teams to trade back

Anybody below you will trade if you make the right offer. If we had offered the Chiefs picks 16 and 47 for their pick 32, you think they would take it? We could have halved our chance of drafting a bust.