Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JG2008

Falcons Thomas Dimitroff blows another 1st round draft pick

10 minutes ago, Akod2017 said:

Our fan base can see mediocrity and another 14-16 pick next year. 

Like it made af who we picked. Our fans would still be on here making 20 threads about the same dam thing. "The sky is falling. Woe is me." AJ was the number 3 corner and the first 2 corners were gone. You don't like it? Cool. But spouting doom and gloom is just childish. 

22 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

Like it made af who we picked. Our fans would still be on here making 20 threads about the same dam thing. "The sky is falling. Woe is me." AJ was the number 3 corner and the first 2 corners were gone. You don't like it? Cool. But spouting doom and gloom is just childish. 

Just a realist. A  person can surmise our corner group will likely be just as mediocre next year. Terrell could be a stud eventually but history tells us he will take his lumps his rookie year unless he’s truly the exception. Sheffield and Oliver will likely progress but a breakout is needed to move the needle with this group. Can it happen? Sure. However, if my job is on the line I’m really going to have to be farting rainbows to assume I can beat the odds. 

I would want more picks or literally any other position outside of DE because the probability for impact next year goes up exponentially.

12 minutes ago, Akod2017 said:

Just a realist. A  person can surmise our corner group will likely be just as mediocre next year. Terrell could be a stud eventually but history tells us he will take his lumps his rookie year unless he’s truly the exception. Sheffield and Oliver will likely progress but a breakout is needed to move the needle with this group. Can it happen? Sure. However, if my job is on the line I’m really going to have to be farting rainbows to assume I can beat the odds. 

I would want more picks or literally any other position outside of DE because the probability for impact next year goes up exponentially.

We tried to trade down. No one was biting. So we took the best CB left on the board. Will he be a stud year one? Who knows. But it wasn't like we passed on a top 5 player to take him. We made a reasonable pick at an awkward spot. Hope AJ balls out next year.

Source:

2 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

We tried to trade down. No one was biting. So we took the best CB left on the board. Will he be a stud year one? Who knows. But it wasn't like we passed on a top 5 player to take him. We made a reasonable pick at an awkward spot. Hope AJ balls out next year.

Source:

I have to wonder when it comes to guys like Gettlemen and Dimitroff what a fair return is in their minds. That’s over 20 years combined of not trading down in the first. At some point a reasonable person might make some conclusions.

15 minutes ago, Birdbrains9 said:

We literally could have drafted chase young at 16 and people would still complain... let’s see how the rest of the draft pans out. 

Literally huh? Look most teams are within a certain ballpark of projections for a pick. We overdraft and leave value on the table in the form of extra picks. You can’t be scared to lose “your guy” especially if you trained under the master of draft capital himself. The reality is yes you could lose out on a Trufant or Neal trading back but you could also luck out on a Tak, Jerry, or Beasley being another GMs problem. Those extra picks just increase the odds of a favorable outcome in a sport where scouting doesn’t yield enough success to make quality as viable (such as the NBA).

In other words stack picks. Only a few GMs have excuses instead of results finding a trade partner.

There were 3 corners drafted after the Falcons picked Terrell. There were a total of 6 corners drafted in the 1st round tonight. There are 15 picks until the Falcons next pick at 47, how many of those picks will be corners? I'm sure the Falcons tried really hard to trade down but it takes two to tangle. If the Falcons hadn't picked Terrell there at 16 who's to say he or any other quality corner would have been left at 47?

This is looking at it from a logical standpoint. Sadly this fanbase is not capable of looking at anything from a logical standpoint.

1 hour ago, Akod2017 said:

I forgot the new CBA is only a one year contract and only their production next year matters.   We should just draft running backs if we want instant starters.

3 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

There were 3 corners drafted after the Falcons picked Terrell. There were a total of 6 corners drafted in the 1st round tonight. There are 15 picks until the Falcons next pick at 47, how many of those picks will be corners? I'm sure the Falcons tried really hard to trade down but it takes two to tangle. If the Falcons hadn't picked Terrell there at 16 who's to say he or any other quality corner would have been left at 47?

This is looking at it from a logical standpoint. Sadly this fanbase is not capable of looking at anything from a logical standpoint.

Well said.

7 minutes ago, Akod2017 said:

Literally huh? Look most teams are within a certain ballpark of projections for a pick. We overdraft and leave value on the table in the form of extra picks. You can’t be scared to lose “your guy” especially if you trained under the master of draft capital himself. The reality is yes you could lose out on a Trufant or Neal trading back but you could also luck out on a Tak, Jerry, or Beasley being another GMs problem. Those extra picks just increase the odds of a favorable outcome in a sport where scouting doesn’t yield enough success to make quality as viable (such as the NBA).

In other words stack picks. Only a few GMs have excuses instead of results finding a trade partner.

There were about 8 teams rumored to wanting to trade into the top 10 and there were none that actually did.  At our spot most the thinner positions at the top were gone, there wasn’t a lot of need for people to trade up.

That said based on his history I don’t know how hard he tried, or at least planted the seed prior to the draft.

2 hours ago, Akod2017 said:

Our fan base can see mediocrity and another 14-16 pick next year. 

Because of a draft pick you have zero idea how they will perform next year?  Our fan base thinks every other team does every single function better than us.  I wouldn’t doubt it if you asked all of our fan base if they would rather have TD or Bill O’Brien that half wouldn’t choose Bill.

I think everyone needs to relax and look at the draft board. Terrell was the logical pick. No DL players left on the board were worth the 16th pick, and the run on CB's at the end of the first says that a corner we would have wanted would be gone on day 2.

Now, a lot of the top players left align with our needs. There are several good DE's, DT's, LB's and Safeties for us on Day 2.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Rings said:

There were about 8 teams rumored to wanting to trade into the top 10 and there were none that actually did.  At our spot most the thinner positions at the top were gone, there wasn’t a lot of need for people to trade up.

That said based on his history I don’t know how hard he tried, or at least planted the seed prior to the draft.

There were only 4 trades in the first one and the first one didn't happen until 13 and the others were 23rd on back. Normally the first round is full of trades. This year was different. Trades just weren't happening tonight.

Edited by AUTiger7222