slider

4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

That's cool but a 290lbs DE isnt catching

Wilson

Mahomes

Jackson 

Rodgers

Etc

To sack him. The game changed for a reason.

Don't need to catch him. Hold the lane and contain him. The way to defeat a mobile QB is to not break under or out. Either way you'll let him slip out. Hold the point and drive the OT back. You can't do that at 250. Think back to Vick. He ate those guys that tried to catch him's lunch. If you slow rushed and pinned him in, he freaked and couldn't use that mobility.

25 minutes ago, slider said:

Closer, not necessarily the same. Claude Humphrey was a beast at 255 for the Falcons but he was still 20lb's lighter than most OT's in the league. 20lb's lighter today equates more to about 280. Jeff Merrow on the other side was 236. That would equate to about 260 today.

Yeah I can see your point. I just think most of your good DE’s are in the 255-265 range

6 minutes ago, slider said:

Don't need to catch him. Hold the lane and contain him. The way to defeat a mobile QB is to not break under or out. Either way you'll let him slip out. Hold the point and drive the OT back. You can't do that at 250. Think back to Vick. He ate those guys that tried to catch him's lunch. If you slow rushed and pinned him in, he freaked and couldn't use that mobility.

Dont use Vick as an example to contain Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson LOLOLOLOLOL

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

Strahan 255

Bruce Smith was 262 not 280

Richard Dent 265

Jack Youngblood 247

Wikipedia has Smith at 280 which is what I went by and watching him, I believe it, he was massive in comparison to the DE's today.

Jack Youngblood was 247 in comparison to 275lb OT's, that equates to about 280+ in today's world.

Richard Dent at 265 is large for today's world much less 1985. He was a beast.

Kind of making my point here. Now if you'd said Jack Youngblood 225lb's, that would be about like today's 255.

6 minutes ago, slider said:

Wikipedia has Smith at 280 which is what I went by and watching him, I believe it, he was massive in comparison to the DE's today.

Jack Youngblood was 247 in comparison to 275lb OT's, that equates to about 280+ in today's world.

Richard Dent at 265 is large for today's world much less 1985. He was a beast.

Kind of making my point here. Now if you'd said Jack Youngblood 225lb's, that would be about like today's 255.

So why are DEs having sucess in the 250's while you list guys at 280 and point to them and say see! See!

We could even talk about the OLBs in the 240s and such because they face the same tackles. 

So why are DEs having sucess in the 250's while you list guys at 280 and point to them and say see! See!

We could even talk about the OLBs in the 240s and such because they face the same tackles. 

Anyone that's ever played outside LB knows this ain't the case. Playing standing up with a 5yd buffer is an entirely different situation. Not to mention the OT has his hands full with the line schemes that are designed to take his attention away from a blitzing OLB. The DE with his hand in the dirt doesn't have those benefits.

2 minutes ago, slider said:

Anyone that's ever played outside LB knows this ain't the case. Playing standing up with a 5yd buffer is an entirely different situation. Not to mention the OT has his hands full with the line schemes that are designed to take his attention away from a blitzing OLB. The DE with his hand in the dirt doesn't have those benefits.

StockDefense33.jpg

Yes because that tackle has no idea the OLB is coming. If they're in nickel they're playing DE. They just stand up sometimes vs hand in the dirt. Tackle still knows they're coming.

StockDefense33.jpg

Yes because that tackle has no idea the OLB is coming. If they're in nickel they're playing DE. They just stand up sometimes vs hand in the dirt. Tackle still knows they're coming.

No...no he doesn't. You tell me, which one is coming?

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Get better will do fine thanks.

Bigger doesn’t necessarily make you better.

No but it allows you to not have to be a world class athlete to hold your own against big OT's. I think the constant search for the next superhuman DE is folly. Just get some good football players and don't force them to overcome huge size differentials to get the job done.

1 minute ago, slider said:

No but it allows you to not have to be a world class athlete to hold your own against big OT's. I think the constant search for the next superhuman DE is folly. Just get some good football players and don't force them to overcome huge size differentials to get the job done.

Horses for course for me.

I mean I’ll take the fight in the dog and the guy whose smaller who plays with a chip on his shoulder for me all day over some guy whose just big.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Horses for course for me.

I mean I’ll take the fight in the dog and the guy whose smaller who plays with a chip on his shoulder for me all day over some guy whose just big.

The small guys ain't working for the Falcons. I'm kinda sick of seeing this train wreck. Try something different.

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

So have you written Fowler off already then?

No , don't get me wrong, I'm not judging something that hasn't happened yet. If he works out great, it's just been an observation of mine that  having watched the game since Y.A. Tittle was lacing them up, the trend of getting smaller on the outside may have run it's course. The game changes constantly and I think it needs to go back more in the larger, stronger category for edge guys.