My theory? TD gets deal done for Chase Young, and it costs us 2 drafts.

3 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Myles Garrett had 7 sacks his first year. Is 7 sacks the difference between 7-9 and a Super Bowl? Cause you've got to win it all to justify this type of move.

Nightmare scenario, we trade next years draft, Ryan goes down, and we are staring down Trevor Lawrence....except we're not.

Hue Jackson...that is all. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We do this and it sets our team back for years in imho. That's even believing CY is all world which no one can predict. 

this team with this situation (aging stars - Ryan/Julio) and this salary cap hades - cannot afford to tie two drafts into 1 player.    Think about it.   While Falcons can always make "some moves"

Agreed, I think if we stay at #16 and pick Kinlaw it is a good situation for us. Of course he has to be there, but all indications are he will be. 

5 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Myles Garrett had 7 sacks his first year. Is 7 sacks the difference between 7-9 and a Super Bowl? Cause you've got to win it all to justify this type of move.

Nightmare scenario, we trade next years draft, Ryan goes down, and we are staring down Trevor Lawrence....except we're not.

Exactly. I just think signing someone like Everson Griffen may not have the same impact as a Young, but you'd still have your picks for next year.

7 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Yeah, it is. Particularly if Fowler ends up with 12 sacks within them double teaming young

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

Says he wants cheap rookies then wants to pay a upper-mid tier pass rusher 20+ mil

Yep. This move up would cost us our entire draft and a couple of additional firsts. So 7-8 guys over the next 2-3 drafts on rookie deals contributing and Yannick paid and structured as the salary cap moves up, or Young on a rookie deal and 7-8 guys we have to pay in FA to make up for it. 

Terrible move.  Is he going to be better than the DE, DT, CB we could get by trading back a little and having 3 picks in the first 2 rounds?  Plus he then has to be better than all the picks next year we give up.

This hardly ever works out.  Julio is pretty much the only time I've seen it work out.  Just because you got lucky and drew to an inside straight once, doesn't mean you should make it a practice.

If you have a good personnel department, you should be able to make hay in this draft...because there's no consensus.  That means guys you very likely have graded highly will drop.  With the chaos, those with good personnel teams should win out.  By getting rid of all your picks for one guy, you're giving away that opportunity.

2 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

Yep. This move up would cost us our entire draft and a couple of additional firsts. So 7-8 guys over the next 2-3 drafts on rookie deals contributing and Yannick paid and structured as the salary cap moves up, or Young on a rookie deal and 7-8 guys we have to pay in FA to make up for it. 

Agreed here.  If we need known production and need it immediately, we're better off going with a FA and then saving on 8 rookie contracts.

Having a lot of starting and producing players on rookie contracts enables getting the FA's.  

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

the problem w/ going after Simmons is I believe you would have to move to #4 to get him.   My guess is Carolina has Simmons #1 on their board and Brown#2.    I still believe Dolphins/Bolts are taking QBs - all this smoke right now is just that.

And I agree. The wildcard move of the night I'm predicting is the Dolphins take Herbert,  and the Chargers trade 6. Charger end up taking picks and go for Love.

12 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Yep, mortgage the future now then lose someone like MR which would put us in the top to draft a QB. Only we can't draft said QB because we don't have first...

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

this team with this situation (aging stars - Ryan/Julio) and this salary cap hades - cannot afford to tie two drafts into 1 player.   

Think about it.   While Falcons can always make "some moves" - Falcons have less money than 90% of the league now in salary cap - you can only "DRAFT" your way out of that situation - you cannot add one player and solve the riddle.

We would be in a worse situation that the Rams who never have 1st round picks, don’t have cap, and are constantly releasing players to try and get under the cap, except we’d be doing it with a 35 yr old QB

If I'm assured of the eventuality that Young comes in and is an immediate difference making machine, it's hard to say no. Even if the price is every pick this year. It's certainly not what I want, but name the difference maker in the entire class last year? If Chase Young can give us close to or more than double digit sacks immediately and consistently he how is that not worth doing everything you can to get him?

If Cleveland could go back and undo the 2011 draft, you think the Browns would rather have the heap of random players they got or Julio Jones??

No way this trade is done. #1 Rivera is a defensive first coach, so he is not going to trade away a young defensive cornerstone like Young. #2 The Falcons have too many holes to make this move. Falcons need a CB, DE, DT, LB, S, OL. If Falcons had had more success in drafts in recent years we could make a move like this but you cant whiff on 2 number 1 picks in three years like VB and Takk and expect to be able to make a move like this. We also took 4 CBs in the last three drafts, so the fact that we are even looking at another CB is absurd. Falcons need to stay put and draft players that are high grade low risk players. Murray out of OU grades out high and will be there. I don't like him but he grades out high and is available at 16. So does Queen from LSU he grades out high, Delpit he grades out high. Due to our past failures in draft we don't have the luxury to make a move like this, it would put us behind 3 years and we are not ONE player away, a 7-9 record should tell you that. 

23 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

I have a theory. No matter what TD does people will complain.

Would I make the trade if I am TD? Probably not.

With that said, Young is a generational talent just like Julio. I am not saying he will have the type of career Young has, but guys like Young are very rare. If you are going to trade draft picks for someone, it better be someone like Young.

They were saying this about Clowney a few years ago and it hasn't exactly turned out that way. Not saying CY won't, but generational players are rare and don't often pan out like the experts predict. If nothing else it's a gamble. 

The one thing I'll say here is that Dimitroff is an extremely creative man, as is Rich McKay, who's involved in the draft again. Between them, I'm confident that they have a plan to mitigate the cost of a huge trade-up. So, if a seemingly terrible trade occurs, I'll wait for the other shoe to drop. We shouldn't judge everything until the draft is over and we've signed veteran free agents. There's a bigger picture here.

I suspect they have a good idea for reducing our salary cap problems, and it involves 2020/2021 draft pick compensation for veteran players we can no longer afford.

I don't think there is anyway this deal gets done without an absurd amount compensation that will be too much for even TD to agree to. I'm thinking the Falcons are going to end up staying at 16 because the guys that TD values most are also valued by those who will be picking in front of us. I myself, am betting on improved coaching and solid draft picks to make the defense better this coming season. 

What would Belichick do? Well, he sure as **** wouldn't wreck his draft for this year and next to land a splash player.

13 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

They were saying this about Clowney a few years ago and it hasn't exactly turned out that way. Not saying CY won't, but generational players are rare and don't often pan out like the experts predict. If nothing else it's a gamble. 

If he is another Bosa then it is entirely worth it!!!