Dan Patrick - Atlanta Trying to Trade Up to #2

19 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

How good is Neal if he has landed on IR 2 out of the 4 seasons he's played?

There's nothing a player or team can do about injuries. Peria Jerry looked like a wrecking ball in practice but then had his career ruined in his first month. Neal's a Pro Bowl player when healthy. But he's probably never going to be that guy again because both injuries were so serious.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The likelihood of your aunt growing balls is .00001%   The likelihood of a significant injury at DE is probably 20%

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. You can't live your life in fear, and trying to win a Super Bowl takes some balls.  Everything can't be a safe move.  If TD/DQ think Young is the guy to put us

Yikes

47 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Yeah, not doing that.  Just pointing out the risk.

As great as Julio is, that trade played a role in our 2013/2014 season

Along with all of our winning seasons too....

That Falcons 2012 draft was atrocious...regardless of not having a 1st round pick...Konz, Holmes were the first two picks...

26 minutes ago, TTU Falcon said:

They would be dropping down to pick 16, I just don't see what we offer that they entertain to begin with.  I think Chase Young is a pipe dream.

Alex Mack and Calvin Ridley...

This draft is deep at WR, but they get a proven WR and can still draft another one to give weapons around Haskins...

Mack would be a big loss for us, but we would look to replace in post draft FA, and a silver lining is actually trading him would free up an extra $8 million...

34 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Yikes

This is what I mean about the "going all-in" approach. Here's something that poker pros know. You're always all-in on the hands that knock you out of a tournament.It sounds macho, but it's not a good place to be with your chips most of the time.

Normally I'd say get out of here with this concept of giving up so much draft capital but with the immediate win mentality for this coaching staff and the extremely strong possibility of no or an adjusted college football season (I work for a college and it is about 80% sure it will all be online again this Fall) the talent is going to be depressed a bit next year. 

23 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Exactly.  And the year we got Keanu and Debo we also got Hooper  and Campbell that same year.

If we had the same success with a FS, CB, DT/DE and either an LB or WR this year (which is pretty comparatively doable given the depth) then we'd make a much bigger change, with much lower risk, than getting one top guy.

And then we'd have several playmakers on rookie deals.  That's usually when you see an uptick in a team.

THe exception not the norm...that draft along with the Julio and MR2 drafts are the Top 3 drafts under TD...

Let's get another top draft with Chase Young...there are a lot of propsects that will be tehre in teh 5th-7th roudns that can fill out depth on this roster...I never expect a 5th rounder to be a starter...but if one does become one, great...

Trade for Chase, bring some excitement to the ATL...

4 minutes ago, 5stripes said:

You are just hiding a problem until the playoffs where it will get exposed by good teams lol. What have the lions accomplished when they had a dominant dline

The one of most important things to have in the playoffs is a good pass rush.

Mahomes is getting most of the glory of the Chiefs SB win, but it was that Chiefs defense and their pass rush getting to Jimmy G that was a huge part of winning the SB as well.

6 minutes ago, jidady said:

There's nothing a player or team can do about injuries. Peria Jerry looked like a wrecking ball in practice but then had his career ruined in his first month. Neal's a Pro Bowl player when healthy. But he's probably never going to be that guy again because both injuries were so serious.

If Neal was to return healthy and play well this season, then it would be like having another 1st round pick to go along with Young.

It's been so long since Neal has had his impact in the Falcons defense.

1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

The one of most important things to have in the playoffs is a good pass rush.

Mahomes is getting most of the glory of the Chiefs SB win, but it was that Chiefs defense and their pass rush getting to Jimmy G that was a huge part of winning the SB as well.

Yeah and the 9ers had a better pass rush and gave up 21 points in the 4th qtr lol

3 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

THe exception not the norm...that draft along with the Julio and MR2 drafts are the Top 3 drafts under TD...

Let's get another top draft with Chase Young...there are a lot of propsects that will be tehre in teh 5th-7th roudns that can fill out depth on this roster...I never expect a 5th rounder to be a starter...but if one does become one, great...

Trade for Chase, bring some excitement to the ATL...

You don't expect a 5th rounder to be a starter...but you do expect a 2nd and 3rd rounder to.

We could grab a DT, CB and LB who should all start this year.  We can likely get a guy to be the starting 3rd receiver also.

Quinn is supposed to be able to make DL better...that was 1/2 the reason he was hired.  Is the only way to help really to get a 16M FA and trade 2 drafts worth of picks to get the top pick in the draft?  That's absurd.

10 minutes ago, bigatlfan2 said:

If we trade next years first then that would be monumentally stupid!!! We would be COMPLETELY out of the Trevor sweepstakes! Please, please, PLEASE don’t do that. 

TANK FOR TREVOR!!!

If the Falcons were to make the playoffs next season, they would be out of it anyway.

10 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Along with all of our winning seasons too....

That Falcons 2012 draft was atrocious...regardless of not having a 1st round pick...Konz, Holmes were the first two picks...

If being honest, we’ve had more losing seasons than winning seasons since drafting Julio.  Not his fault at all...by those are the facts

Just now, 5stripes said:

Yeah and the 9ers had a better pass rush and gave up 21 points in the 4th qtr lol

You still fail to see how important pass rush is.

Cheifs had pass rush, Patriots had pass rush, Eagles had pass rush, Broncos had pass rush, Seahawks had pass rush, Giants had pass rush, Packers had pass rush, Steelers had pass rush. Ravens had pass rush

All these SB winning teams for the last decade or so had pass rush.

12 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

You don't expect a 5th rounder to be a starter...but you do expect a 2nd and 3rd rounder to.

We could grab a DT, CB and LB who should all start this year.  We can likely get a guy to be the starting 3rd receiver also.

Quinn is supposed to be able to make DL better...that was 1/2 the reason he was hired.  Is the only way to help really to get a 16M FA and trade 2 drafts worth of picks to get the top pick in the draft?  That's absurd.

Im keeping my 3rd rounder this year...

2020 1st, 2020 2nd, 2021 1st, 2021 3rd, 2022 2nd and Alex Mack.....we get #2 and and one of their 5ths

#2 Chase Young

3rd: BPA at OC (Matt Hennessy)

4th: BPA at CB (Amik Robertson)

4th: BPA at DT (McTelvin Agim, perfect 3T)

5th: BPA at LB (Davion Taylor)

7th: BPA at WR (James Proche, perfect slot)

Whose to say after acquiring Young, that we dont dangle Takk at the Cowboys for a 4th/5th rounder to get a younger, less injury prone pass rusher?

Thats plenty of depth this year...and trading Mack opens up about $8 million for a VET signing at CB

2021 Draft

2nd rounder

4th roudner

5th rounder

(comp) 5th rounder

6th rounder

(comp) 6th rounder

7th rounder

NOt a terrible position to be in...

2022 Draft

All picks except our 2nd rounder...

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan
7 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

If Neal was to return healthy and play well this season, then it would be like having another 1st round pick to go along with Young.

It's been so long since Neal has had his impact in the Falcons defense.

You're absolutely right. It sucks for all involved, but he'd be cut right now if the CBA allowed us to do it.

I need to get my mind right for tonight because I am so against this.

We got lucky with Julio, this doesn't usually work. Giving up a 3rd/4th to grab Brown or Simmons or Kinlaw if they slide enough I can get behind, but trading a couple of farms or proven guys on our team for a guy who is by no means the prospect of the decade is asinine. If Young crushes his rookie year and gives us 10 sacks, still not worth it.

I couldn't argue with anyone that says we need TE depth, RB depth, a backup C, a rookie WR to groom, DT, DE, CB or 2, S. You blow all that up and force yourself to get a bunch of 1 year deals in the vet market for the next two years by doing this.

We have an offense ready to go this season and some foundation pieces on the defense. Get us a defensive starter at 16 and 47 and build our depth where we need it. Get us two more starters on D with our 1 and 2 next year.

If we are that desperate for another pass rusher, go get another in FA or trade ONE pick for one.

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If being honest, we’ve had more losing seasons than winning seasons since drafting Julio.  Not his fault at all...by those are the facts

Is it the players or the coaches?

Should we have a SB since Julio as well? Players or Coaches?

The impact of the coaching staff and situation playcalling is always undervalued in assessing the roster of winning/losing teams...

2 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

You still fail to see how important pass rush is.

Cheifs had pass rush, Patriots had pass rush, Eagles had pass rush, Broncos had pass rush, Seahawks had pass rush, Giants had pass rush, Packers had pass rush, Steelers had pass rush. Ravens had pass rush

All these SB winning teams for the last decade or so had pass rush.

They also didn’t have holes in the secondary to go along with it. They had studs like Honey Badger, Legion of boom, polamalu, Ed reed. You can’t just sell out for pass rush to field  hot garbage in the secondary lol

16 minutes ago, jidady said:

Thomas Davis was a probowler at LB after multiple ACL injuries. Neal likely returns to form. He’s a fighter and is on task. 3 in a row would be devastating but I think he is healthy this year and helps us remember why people got upset at the draft then excited once he hit the field. 

injuries definitely happen. Part of the game. 

5 minutes ago, 5stripes said:

They also didn’t have holes in the secondary to go along with it. They had studs like Honey Badger, Legion of boom, polamalu, Ed reed. You can’t just sell out for pass rush to field  hot garbage in the secondary lol

Steelers pass rush made their secondary look much better that it actually was. Troy Polamalu also wasn't that good in coverage. Troy did his best work closer to the line of scrimmage and would be used as basically a roaming LB.

1 minute ago, Stryka said:

Thomas Davis was a probowler at LB after multiple ACL injuries. Neal likely returns to form.

The reason why everyone knows that story is because what Davis did was so unusual. A lot of guys -- like Peria Jerry -- never come back the same from one injury, much less two. Neal was actually horrible for us in the two games he played this season -- 43.2 grade on PFF -- and that was before he had a torn achilles, too.

I know you love your Florida guys, but we need to be realistic here. He's not someone the team should expect to return to form. If he proves me/the team wrong, that's wonderful.

The other person is right that it's like adding another first round pick or trading for a Pro Bowl safety. It's just not the likeliest scenario. As Falcons fans, it's what we all hope happens, though.