Possible trade Raiders and Jags

Cole World

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

Just what the Jags need this year...more picks.

That would bring them up to 13, with 5 in the top 73 and three in the top 20, presuming it's for the #19. Out of all the teams picking above us, they actually make the least sense to trade down.

beat me to it

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

That would bring them up to 13, with 5 in the top 73 and three in the top 20, presuming it's for the #19. Out of all the teams picking above us, they actually make the least sense to trade down.

But they made it known they were open to trading down. How far that’s a different question.

2 minutes ago, k-train said:

What's in it for them though? Why trade back to our pick? They have something like 13 picks if this Raiders trade goes through, so it's not like they need to move back to get more picks.

Before the extra pick they said they were willing to move back

3 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Before the extra pick they said they were willing to move back

What team doesn't say that stuff this time of year though? I mean no matter whether they are actively trying to pursue a trade down or are heIIbent on staying put, if a GM doesn't at least listen to offers, they're not really doing their job, right?

2 minutes ago, Cole World said:

But they made it known they were open to trading down. How far that’s a different question.

I suspect that adding another top 20 pick will change their opinion. Even I wouldn't be in a rush to trade down with four picks in the top 42, and I'm Mr. Trade Down.

Also, has WalterFootball ever broken a story before? I'm not seeing this anywhere else.

2 minutes ago, k-train said:

What team doesn't say that stuff this time of year though? I mean no matter whether they are actively trying to pursue a trade down or are heIIbent on staying put, if a GM doesn't at least listen to offers, they're not really doing their job, right?

They can listen without making publicly known too.

17 minutes ago, jidady said:

The #19 pick makes a lot more sense, but even that seems like too much considering Yannick is a pass rusher only and not even close to the elite ones IMO. He also wants a big contract so that’d be an L for the raiders if they actually trade a first for him straight up. 

1 minute ago, Atlantafan21 said:

The #19 pick makes a lot more sense, but even that seems like too much considering Yannick is a pass rusher only and not even close to the elite ones IMO. He also wants a big contract so that’d be an L for the raiders if they actually trade a first for him straight up. 

They've hedged on that report.

So, there's no deal yet as one team pushes for #19 while the other aims for #12.

1 minute ago, jidady said:

They've hedged on that report.

So, there's no deal yet as one team pushes for #19 while the other aims for #12.

If I’m the raiders, I’m definitely not trading #12 for Ngakoue. Although I personally wouldn’t trade #19 either lol. They already have a good d-line with some good prospects at their edge position. It’s not likely Yannick is a game changer anyhow, raiders should just keep their picks unless the jags add their second round pick or something to the trade, which wouldn’t really make sense for them. 

1 minute ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

This is one of those years where you might want a boat load of picks actually in a deep draft. Stockpile a bunch of prospects and make a run next year as leader of the tank brigade for Lawrence or Fields.

I suspect Jacksonville is looking at this a different way. I expect them to leverage several picks this year into compensation next year. Then, they can use that draft capital to target one of those QBs if my boy Minshy doesn't work out...which he probably won't. 

And now that I've put that thought down, I realize that a deal with Jacksonville makes more sense than I'd appreciated. If they deal down to #16 with us, we're probably giving up a second rounder next year (along with probably a third or fourth this year). That's when we have more draft ammo due to compensatory picks. So, we would feel it less.

Hmm. That's a good solution for both teams.

8 hours ago, jidady said:

I suspect Jacksonville is looking at this a different way. I expect them to leverage several picks this year into compensation next year. Then, they can use that draft capital to target one of those QBs if my boy Minshy doesn't work out...which he probably won't. 

I mean possibly, but if you think Cincy isn't going to trade Burrow this year, imagine next year, when Fields & Lawrence come out. Both of those guys are better QB's, and I have faith they will go 1 & 2.

12 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I mean possibly, but if you think Cincy isn't going to trade Burrow this year, imagine next year, when Fields & Lawrence come out. Both of those guys are better QB's, and I have faith they will go 1 & 2.

I fully expect both of them to go in the top 10 with Lawrence extremely like to go #1, barring injury.

Now consider that Jacksonville already has two number one picks next year along with two fourth rounders. If they got Atlanta's second round pick, they could deal up to get one of those guys from pretty much anywhere in the first round. I've suspected that Lawrence was the reason why they liked the Ramsey trade in the first place.

Plus, if Minshy does fail, they're probably picking in the top 6-8 anyway. All they need to have happen is for the Rams to disappoint, which is a distinct possibility given all their cap woes and recent moves.

8 hours ago, jidady said:

I fully expect both of them to go in the top 10 with Lawrence extremely like to go #1, barring injury.

Now consider that Jacksonville already has two number one picks next year along with two fourth rounders. If they got Atlanta's second round pick, they could deal up to get one of those guys from pretty much anywhere in the first round. I've suspected that Lawrence was the reason why they liked the Ramsey trade in the first place.

Plus, if Minshy does fail, they're probably picking in the top 6-8 anyway. All they need to have happen is for the Rams to disappoint, which is a distinct possibility given all their cap woes and recent moves.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't see a team willing to trade a shot at Lawrence/Fields just to end up with a lot of picks. That duo is similar to Luck/RG3. Also, with the string of trade ups in recent years working out for the team trading up, I would assume GMS are certainly hesitant on passing on high profile QB's at this point just for picks. Jacksonville is better off just hoping they land in the top 2 so they don't need hope a trade partner is willing to trade.

Throw in the high probability that Jamie Newman playing for UGA shows out and jumps into highly rated QB territory also. After all, at Wake Forest in 2019 he was very very good already; just no publicity. 

That's 3 QBs in 2021. Add another one from somewhere that rises and you're at 4 that go high in 2021.