Ask yourself the Q... worth it? *comps*

So Trader Thomas has the Smoke Signals in full burn mode with stacks of tires on the flames!!

Ask yourselves if you believe that THESE players would be judged as worth the trade up (based solely on what they accomplished in the NFL):

Aaron Donald

Lawrence Taylor

Julius Peppers

Reggie White

Bruce Smith

Darrelle Revis

Deion Sanders

Deacon Jones

Derrick Thomas

Joe Green

Luke Kuechly

Would you want to go get one of these (or insert player of your choice) players for your team??

Lawrence Taylor?

Reggie White?

DEION SANDERS??????

These are Hall of Fame players that are widely considered the best EVER at their positions.

OF COURSE you trade up for any/all of them.

So which current player available to draft on Thursday are you considering THE BEST EVER at their position?

4 minutes ago, Doug Carlton said:

Lawrence Taylor?

Reggie White?

DEION SANDERS??????

These are Hall of Fame players that are widely considered the best EVER at their positions.

OF COURSE you trade up for any/all of them.

So which current player available to draft on Thursday are you considering THE BEST EVER at their position?

That's the conundrum...  is there one? are there three? two? Can any of Young, Simmons, Okudah be THAT level of player? Not necessarily THE BEST EVER, but certainly one of the best ever! 

It's not whether we as the fans believe it, but do the Falcons believe it. I can see why they might for one of those three. We can debate it for years but in the end the career will tell the tale. Will Falcons bite the bullet because they are convinced that there is one that justifies the cost of draft capital ? Remember that every draft pick is just *Potential* personified...  not one has accomplished anything in the NFL. Would you trade 3 maybe's for one absolutely...  if that's what you saw?

For every one on your list of trade up greatest hits, there are 10 trade up flops. Ryan Leaf springs to mind along with Caleb McGary. I'm in the camp that says more picks yields more good players. Lots of high draft picks bust whether or not they were traded up to get. Trading up just makes it worse when they fail.

53 minutes ago, Dirtier Bird said:

For every one on your list of trade up greatest hits, there are 10 trade up flops. Ryan Leaf springs to mind along with Caleb McGary. I'm in the camp that says more picks yields more good players. Lots of high draft picks bust whether or not they were traded up to get. Trading up just makes it worse when they fail.

Ryan Leaf gets a whole career to be a flop but McGary gets a season.

1 hour ago, Dirtier Bird said:

McGary already a bust then?  Must be exhausting to flip flop between bust and boom from play to play...

6 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I would pay the price for guys like that.

7 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

Unfortunately, for every Deion Sanders there are probably 5-10 busts.  Its a huge risk.  If we were one player away I would do it.  In our current situation, I would not.

Risk is present with every pick. Lots of multiple picks for one pick traded where NONE of the multi pick players did diddly.

Bigger the risk the sweeter the reward.

If you get a BEAST that is really good you got one. They’re not many out there.

We only need to look at the Julio trade.

Has been worth more than the players picked in his place?

I would say yes considering he is still among the best players in the league and none of the guys picked with those picks are even in the league.

The trick is making sure to get something out of the other picks that are made.

4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

We only need to look at the Julio trade.

Has been worth more than the players picked in his place?

I would say yes considering he is still among the best players in the league and none of the guys picked with those picks are even in the league.

The trick is making sure to get something out of the other picks that are made.

You can't guarantee anything in football... I mean, in any sport really but especially not in football. Every player, no matter how much of a sure-fire stud is one fluke injury away from being a bust. Throwing so many assets away at a chance at a single great player is a massive gamble. Luck with health, intangibles, etc. so many things outside of talent that go into making a hall of famer.